P+H Orion info?

koasa

Anyone have any experience with this boat? The limited references mention it as being a twin with the CD Gulfstream/Sirocco.; with some minor differences.

I came across an a classified for one for $995, wanted to see if it was worth a long drive to see it. Other boats that I will be considering are the Tempest 170 & Chatham 17.(I would consider poly & composite).

Anyone have any experience with this boat? The limited references mention it as being a twin with the CD Gulfstream/Sirocco.; with some minor differences.

I came across an a classified for one for $995, wanted to see if it was worth a long drive to see it. Other boats that I will be considering are the Tempest 170 & Chatham 17.(I would consider poly & composite).

Bob Budd, has paddled a P&H Orion for years You might check with him.

-Jason

Yes, I have a seasoned Orion that has served as more or less the "first glass boat" for more than one person in this area. The boat jumped off the carriers before a surfing session at Nahant but Wilbur put a SnoSeal patch on it for the day and I surfed in it, the boat really hangs in there. It is repaired and completely seaworthy if you'd like to try it out, though the cosmetics are not complete. The boat presently resides in Beverly.

My husband has paddled an orion for years. He loves the boat - it has taken him (an untrained, but seasoned paddler) through conditions he had no business being in. It is a very stable boat, the bow cuts through waves beautifully. Not my kind of boat - but he won't give it up. He is having it "rebuilt" this year. This boat has got to be more than 15 yrs old and has held up very well. We paddle in Maine year round.

If it is the boat for sale in the Wolfeboro N.H. area, it is in excellent shape for an older used hull. It has no major dings, cracks, gouges or repairs. White on white. Hatch covers might need replacing due to age. The older gentleman who owns it let me test paddle it earlier in the summer and most likely would be willing to let others do the same. I passed on it because the hull design didn't speak to me, but that is a personal thing and no more. He most likely is a little flexiable on that price.

It is the one in Wolfeboro. Do you happen to recall how big the cockpit is? My current boat has a 30" length; I would like a longer on but it isn't a deal breaker.

I will see if I can view the boat this weekend. Thanks to all who provided input.

It is the one in Wolfeboro. Do you happen to recall how big the cockpit is? My current boat has a 30" length; I would like a longer on but it isn't a deal breaker.

I will see if I can view the boat this weekend. Thanks to all who provided input.

I don't remeber the dimensions, but would put it around 30". It is not a Keyhole cockpit, but not an Ocean one either.