Terrific RISK Session

stnoonan

I will add to this post over at trip reports, but I wanted to let people know that the RISK session was just amazing. Lots of great 'yak surfers, food and gear (I came home with a free helmet and a Necky Zip).

Anyway, I will have lots of pictures to post shortly, but I wanted folks to check out our own Sing throwing a major endo at the session:

[img src=http://www.stnphotography.com/sing.jpg]

BTW, don't make fun of that pink helmet; that color may have saved his life! (I'll let Sing tell you that story)

boys and girls. Not that I intended to yesterday. But I ended doing exactly that when the two folks I was out with, unbeknownst to me, headed towards shore while I was headed out after riding some waves in. And, as fate would have it, I got caught in the green room. Just when I thought I made it out past the breaks -- this massive green wall of water stood in front of me, curled and collapsed over me. My boat when head over heels. I was hanging onto the paddle which was getting played by the wave. End result: I got sucked right out of the boat. I got trashed in the green room repeatedly, losing my eyeglasses (won't be able to see a thing until I replace the prescription) and jetisoning the paddle.

Anyway, our intrepid all-seeing-eye, AKA Sean Noonan, spied my pink helment -- which by the way was mildly lampooned by Chris Thomas :) --bobbing in the breaks. Sean call the calvary and out they galloped to my rescue while I tried to body surf my way back in. I assure you.... The saline post-lunch drinks didn't go well with my chili lunch. I thought I was going to get the chili kicked out of me by those nasty waves... :)

Anyway, believe it or not, I am still pumped. The RISK organizers pulled off a TERRIFIC event, as Sean, noted. Chris and I are talking about planning another session, in warmer weather, further north, like Gloucester or Jenness. Will keep you all posted.

Still on the "stoke."

sing

P.S. When you purposedly get your bow in the air, it's called an "endo." When you get unwittingly get thrown into the air with a loud rebel yell -- OH $hit!!! -- it's called the introduction to the green room (of doom).

sing

I hope you made it to the Chinatown Pool session. You earned a good meal!

Two thoughts after reading your description:

1) Perhaps all kayakers should wear pink helmuts, instead of putting flags on poles on their back deck. :-))

2) In light of the discussion at yesterday's membership meeting about risk management, I'd like to hear more about how the risks were managed at this event, which obviously had people in some challenging water.

Liz N.

Fortunately one swim doesn’t make a good surf session bad. Personally I’d say Sing had a great session. Getting out was nothing less then a Herculean task for most of the day and everyone had at least one good trashing.

Thanks to Sean for being there to take pictures, it wasn’t the greatest day to be out in the open.

Mike and Sven did a great job putting on the event and I doubt anyone went away hungry or disappointed.

Sing, being in tropical Rhode Island I mistook your helmet for a Flamingo, good thing Sean had the camera :)

Liz,

I found that the risk management of the session was very well handled, and at the same, didn't intrude on fun atmosphere of the day.

Here is how I saw it, and others on the water should share their experiences:

1) Well before the event, Sven and Mike notified the police and fire rescue teams of the nature of the event so they could plan their own rescue procedures.

2) The event was indemnified by the ACA.

3) Before anyone put in, there was a great briefing on the underwater hazards of the beach--rocks, reefs, rips, expected tidal changes, etc. Aid-thy-follow-paddler etiquette was also reviewed.

4) Two to three spotters with binoculars, whistles and throw bags watched the action from shore and directed boaters away from hazards and toward swimming paddlers and their gear.

5) At least one safe boat was on the water at all times.

6) A warming trailer was on site to prevent hypothermia.

I know I’m forgetting things (or were unaware of them because they were not overt), but I think these procedures were well designed and worked when they were needed, (u-hum Sing).

Thanks Sean, that is helpful information. A couple of follow up questions, if you or anyone else knows:

1) Were the participants screened for their skill level before being permitted to participate? If so, how?

2) Were the "spotters" screened for their skill level before being permitted to spot or were they required to hold any "certifications", ACA or other?

Liz N.

is probably the issue that I am the last person you want to ask to address. Bottom is that I think we should simply take responsibility for ourselves, be aware of our individual skills, equipment, physical conditioning and make adjustments accordingly. I indeed surf (and paddle) alone at places I know well e.g. Nahant with spilling waves even at up to 6' feet. The initial forecast for yesterday was for 6-8' waves. Indeed, those were present at the point break on the left side of our area. I was going down no matter what to support the event. But were it at 6-8', I doubt I would have gone into the water. It was 3'5' with a variety of waves -- some nicely formed and rolling along, some plunging and so closing all at once. A real hodge podge. Though the variability of the waves looked challenging, I felt within my capability. I was. Even with the swim, despite the thrashing, I didn't feel my life was in real jeopardy. I was dressed for immersion with a drysuit and was actually dry and warm, despite the "ice cream" headaches. I was already making way to shore when the "cavalry" arrived. The sped up process was appreciated nevertheless.

Having said the above, I think the organizers for the RISK (Rhode Island Surf Kayakers) session did a great job. They briefed everyone about the beach conditions, talked to everyone about ettiquette, talked about having a "buddy" out there, assigned safety boaters who monitored from just beyond the break, had a warming trailer in place, provided (free) food and drinks and patroled the beach area and giving pointers to those coming in. Everyone was also looking out for others and helped "swimmers" come in or getting onto the beach and into the trailer if need be. Folks were for the most parts in drysuits and wetsuits. Several were in fleece with drytops which would not have been my choice but these folks knew their own abilities and had a partner. In other words, the organizers did as much as can be expected short of paddling and surfing for the individuals out there. I think each of the surfer knew there were risks involved in the activity and accepted them as soon as they went out into the breaks. Each of us ultimately decide for ourselves how much to do and when to pack it in.

In my specific incident. I went out after lunch and joined the two folks partnered up out there. We surfed a couple of waves together. They then packed it up without me realizing it. In so much as they were partnered up and normal paddling buddies, it's understandable that weren't necessarily thinking about me and I was doing fine up to that point. I take full responsibility for not asking them to let me know when they were done. The swim is the consequence of my own choices.

Personally, I learned a lot yesterday including the swim I took. The session added on to my experience and knowledge base. I also appreciated the tips I received, especially from Sven, one of the organizers, who happens to also surf a Riot Boogie and owns a Trickster, the two boats I use. I learned a lot just by watching the folks out there. And that is mostly what a "session" is about.

I could have avoided any risk by staying at home. BTW, Boston Harbor is pretty much freed up from ice. Go out and enjoy. I know I will.

sing

Hey Sing,

Looking good there dude, ..Hey when you get your photo like that…don’t spill the beans about coming out, it looks like your just “throwing some ends” or what ever the surf talk is for that.

Maybe you should be more clear for Liz about your comment on question one. I find this issue very interesting. I often pondered why these other paddling cultures are so different. I think it comes back to the protection offered by group rescues etc. In whitewater and surf, when you're in trouble, you're sort of alone for those moments and this demands personal responsibility.

First let me say that trying to put WW/Surf safety concepts into a sea kayak perspective really doesn’t work. Here are my comments on the two questions posed by Liz:

1) Having come from a sea kayaking background into WW and Surf I can tell you that they are totally different worlds. There really isn’t a “Skill Level” for WW and surf paddlers. The river or surf conditions are rated and you judge weather you’re up for it. Many times I have shown up at a put-in met up with total strangers and paddled down the river without ever being asked what my skill level is. It is assumed that if you’re out there you’re within your abilities. If you’re not, it is up to you to let people know. The usual question at the put-in is “What have you paddled before?” or “Are you up for this?” The talk on the beach before we hit the water was the “here is what you’re looking at, ask yourself if this is what you really want to do.” No one was directly asked if they could, should be in the water and no one was told they couldn’t surf. WW and surf paddlers may suggest that you sit out but I’ve very rarely heard anyone tell someone they couldn’t paddle. I’m pretty sure that everyone that swam was back in their boat and on the water again within 30 minutes of swimming.

In WW and Surf a “rescue” consists of getting someone out of the water, not back in their boat. As a safety boater during the event I assisted three people to the beach. The first guy wouldn’t give up his boat and spent way too much too much time in the water swimming towards shore. I offered to help him back into his boat and he looked at me strange, meaning to me, that it wasn’t time for a sea kayak rescue course. My primary function was to collect gear and keep an eye on swimmer’s condition and situation. If a swimmer had needed further assistance it would have needed to come from shore. The design of WW/Surf boats really doesn’t lend itself to having a paddler hanging off the back. And if you look at Sean’s photos of Paddler 23 you can see I’m way too close to the guy in the water and making an effort to get away from him. Fortunately, I was able to get away from him before the foam engulfed us both. To have had him on the back of the boat would have caused us both problems. Having him on a rope would most likely have bound him or myself up to the point of immobility.

2) No, no one was screened and I doubt that there were any “certified” spotters. I know there are some ACA certs for WW but I can’t really think of anyone I know that has them. The certification thing is really a sea kayak phenomenon. WW and surf tend to be show me sports. You prove your worth on the water. Talk is cheap and certifications are paper. I’m not knocking the validity of certifications just trying to put it in perspective from the view of the WW/Surf community.

I received my “4 star” certification before the star system was implemented. At the time it was the “Proficiency Certification”. I recently checked and found that it doesn’t expirer. Does that mean I should still be considered Proficient? To me not really. At the time I was paddling pretty much daily, I’ve since found other interests and my sea kayak has become a second to WW and Surf and my skills have been honed accordingly. Does that make me a better/worse sea kayaker? Or does it add to my options in a given situation for which no certification is available?

Again when I was a more active paddler I was dropping 25’ waterfalls and running steep class V creeks. I wouldn’t run out and do that now. I would, in my opinion, need a few runs down the river to get back to the ability level I once had. Consider that in this context; I make it to the bottom of a class V river someone hands me a certification as a class V paddler. I sit on the couch for a year and head back to the river show my cert and jump in my boat. How valid an assessment has the certification become? Should a certification issued on the Moose River NY (Class V) be valid on Cold Brook in NH (also class V). In WW you get out scout the rapid and make your decision. I’ve had days when I’ve run a rapid that I pasted on the day before for no other reason then Karma. In the surf you sit on the beach watch for a while and make your decision. Either way you ask yourself “Am I really up for this”. To me only you can answer that question. The second question is do I have the right gear for this situation? I have a dry suit, does that mean I don’t need a roll to paddle alone in cold water conditions? I hope everyone answered NO! But you see them out there. Gear doesn’t compensate for ability which, I think is an area that too often goes unaddressed.

Speaking of gear, you could tell the sea kayakers because they were the ones with dry suits.

The WW and surf paddlers were the guys in dry-tops and fleece. Again a WW/Surf paddler doesn’t plan on being in the water that long and it is rare that they are. They also plan less for coming out of the boat which in most WW/Surf conditions is not an option. I think in some respects that fact that you can look over a calm ocean and think I can handle this takes away from the insistence that you really need skills to participate. The river always looks intimidating, many a WW paddle has take one run down the river, swam and sold their boat the next day. I don’t see to many sea kayakers that give up after one swim on a calm day in June.

My two cents…..

chris thomas

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the differences. Since I was only in a WW boat once, for about 10 minutes on Chebacco, I am pretty clueless about that world. :-)) I have been convinced that I should learn to roll in one, however, so I'll be seeing you on 2/29. :-))

Like Ken, I find it interesting how the different sports have evolved differently. Now that I am more clear on what those differences are, I want to ask the 3 year old's annoying question: Why? Are the WW/surfers simply more resistant to authority and test taking? (Kind of like snowboarders?) Is there something about sea kayaking that makes having a defined progression, with assessments/tests at each level, more necessary or desireable than a similar program would be for WW/surfing? I understand that in WW the river is rated, not the paddler. In sea kayaking the ocean conditions are constantly changing. That means that the paddler's skills must be up to what the weather and tides bring. Also, getting off the water is not always a quick option.

If ACA has a rating/certification system for WW paddling but people rarely go through the process, then I assume they can't require people to be certified to run sanctioned events. So, why bother at all?

I have heard from several sources that the sea kayaking certifications are really more of an east coast phenomenon. Perhaps our NW commander could clarify that.

Liz N.

I truly didn’t mean to make light of the ACA, its certifications or the need for them. Most colleges and outing clubs offer ACA WW courses and certifications as well as river rescue and

training. The ACA still continues as a sanctioning body for many paddle sport disciplines and their promotion of the industry and non-profit organizations is well known. Through their sanctioning of paddle sports events, disciplines like Kayak Polo, Paddle Surfing and Sea Kayaking are safer, better organized and open to more people.

I meant to offered my opinion as one person’s view. I honestly didn’t mean to offend anyone and I am sorry if I did.

As to why…

I think it is more of a generational thing. Compare the average age of WW to sea kayakers. How long can you watch a WW video before you have to turn down the volume(about 3 minutes for me)?

More cyberspace-induced stuff. Let the world know I was not offended. Part of the subject line on my message was cut off. I'll go back and edit it to read what I originally typed. IMHO Chris has provided lots of good info and I thank him.

On the WW video sound bit, I'm thinking my snowboarder analogy might have legs.

Liz N.

Chris pretty much captured what I feel. I am truly not interested in certifications when it comes to what I consider a very "personal activity" such as paddling, sometimes in "challenging" conditions which may have a life and death component. It's fine that others may want to pursue certifications, especially if they want to coach either professionally or as an avocation. But these aren't my "goals." I do not feel the need to conform or to abide by some sanctioning body. Were some sort of certificaton required for participating in the RISK session, I would have simply gone and surfed elsewhere. I would eventually catch up with the folks I want to surf with and learn from them in another time and another place.

I think the CA surf yakkers got it best when they use the term "expression session" for what we did in RI this past weekend. Basically the term captures what happens at such an event -- folks coming together to "express" something personal within themselves through and in this challenging medium of the break zone. In every day life, to "express" yourself, you are taking some risks -- how you may be recieved, how "honest" are you with yourself and others, etc. An "expression" in the surf involves perhaps these social "risks" but possibly more -- your life. Facing a cauldron of furious water, one would do well to pause and really assess one's own skills, physical conditioning and, yes, one's perspective on life and death. I think anyone who goes into a potentially dangerous situation knowingly has to do this, or have done it. It is taking a personal inventory of body, mind and spirit. Any certification I may have does not speak to the here and now. The certification is nothing but a dead piece of paper in time. The surf is the here and now, and challenging me to be asolutely honest with myself. As Chris put it, one has to ask "Am I ready for this? Do I really want to do this?" A certification won't provide an answer, nor can anyone else standing there provide it for you. One is essentially alone in that decision. Personally, I would have it no other way.

I can speak from another pursuit which may have parallel issues -- martial arts. I've been involved in martial arts since I was a young teen. I initially pursued the practice not as an avocation but as a (self perceived) necessity, as an Asian in growing up in Boston in 60's and 70's. I am currently "ranked" 6th degree. Truthfully, this an honorary rank since I never "officially tested" for the certification. It was conferred on me as I have never and would not ever test for rank. Back then (and to some degree today), martial arts training is about life and death. Ranks were/are extraneous as far as I am concerned. There many out there in the MA world running around with such rank and higher. What it comes down to, for me, is one's skill level in (as Chris stated) a "show me" approach. Don't tell me what you can do, show me in the ring... As a young practitioner, I routinely stepped into the ring with higher ranks, essentially saying, "I don't care about the color of belt around your waist, show me..." As I still coach and do an occaisonal seminar now, I am every am challenged every so often to "show" what I have. Before stepping into the ring, I have an honest appraisal of myself, it has nothing to do "rank" (which I don't talk to other practitioners about anyway). In the ring, nothing is hidden -- not one's abilities but more importantly -- not one's emotions and spirit. The other person in the ring becomes the mirror to look at oneself honestly. There's no running and there's no hiding. And, if one has the misfortune of facing life and death in the guise of the stick, knife or gun in the hands of an opponent on the street, one see very clearly the truth of one's spirit in that moment. It's has nothing to do with certification or a black belt. Indeed, a long black belt, as one of my "seniors" stated, "is only good to lower your casket into the grave if it came down to that."

Again, I am not opposed to practice/training and certifications. On the contrary, I am very much into practice/training and seeking knowledge from others. While my energy and physical abilities may fluctuate, training is a routine and an important part of my life. Important enough that I have traveled pretty far just to learn from others that I have heard of and am interested in their skills, knowledge and perspectives. The practice is important because it is the "polishing of the mirror." I appreciate others who likewise are "polishing" their mirrors. But I am honestly indifferent to the certifications. To me, these have little to do with my training goals. Generally the folks I train and learn from are pretty much of the same mind or they would not share what they know with me. Actually, the most stringent and exclusive (and closed minded) practitioners in MA's are the ones who very concerned about their ranking and standing in some organizational structure. Many of these structures have nothing to do with the individual practice and everything to do with individual needs within a "social framework."

Thankfully, my MA practice no longer has much to do with conflict. It's has to do with polishing the mirror. My other activities, like paddling, are parallel and complementary. It is about being honest with oneself in and experiencing the here and now. It is about my spirit. A spirit can never be grasped by paper certifications and ranking. A spirit cannot be defined by the "other." Rather, if the other is observant, then s/he will see and appreciate the quality of the spirit being expressed.

I have met kindred spirits in different pursuits and different walks of life. When such meetings occur, it's a blessing and I can feel my emotions soar in recognition of the other. I realize many others do not share my perspective. This is fine and I don't expect anyone to be other than what s/he is. Likewise, don't be offended if I do not share nor feel the need to abide by your standards and perspectives.

sing

Liz,

It seems to me it's simply a cultural thing. You don't understand the WW paddler because you are not part of that culture. You're not a Pygmy, a Viking, an Eskimo, and WW paddler or a Marathon paddler ,or a Greenlander.

If you want to experience real clash of cultures like I did, paddle WW for 30 years and then not laugh the first time you see a paddle float. I actually thought they were joking the first time the paddle float rescue was explained to me at a kayak shop when I got my first sea kayak. They wanted to sell me all this other nonsense gear, pumps, floats, lights, knifes, dry bags, radios, compasses, map cases, tow belts,, etc,etc...

I said "who needs that crazy float?,.. just roll". It was then explained that many sea kayakers paddle well offshore and can't roll. I said " That's crazy, why expose yourself to such risk". I knew a WW paddler never comes out of the boat because they learn to roll, period.

I've come to think that it's simply the demographics of the participants in the different paddle sports.

The 20 year old WW paddlers impart their attitudes and dominate that sport for all other participants. If you paddle WW you do it like a 20 year old. The typical sea kayaker got into it in their 40's. They are more cautious, they look for labels and certificates of performance. I think they transport much from the work place into their sport on how they conduct trips, clubs etc. Teenagers and 20's who start WW don't have these values.

All the BCU and ACA stuff is very expensive. The $2800 sea kayak is expensive, teens and 20's can't afford this and the $1000+ needed to get to 5 star. They'd rather spend it on other things if they have it.

The various paddle sports all have their own unique cultures that work and make sense within each. Within each major sport there are sub groups that are at odds. Sea Kayak has.. Euros vs. Greenlanders, Whitewater has ICF racers vs. rodeo vs. steep creekers. etc..etc. Marathon seems to be more unified, but there is a squabble about ICF k-1 vs Unlimited k-1 going on in that culture.

Multi-culturalism will help ones paddling development. Do some WW for a summer and you be a much better sea kayaker and you'll be better prepared to surf the beach. Then you'll understand why the surfer.."Ain't going to show you no sinking badges."

I have an ACA Open Water Instructor CERT. , so I have a sea kayak badge and I'm sort of proud of it, yet in 30 years, I never felt any need to get one in WW ??