Popham Beach launch locations?

tvcrider

I will be traveling to Maine next month to visit some friends. They are located in Bristol area, apparently not to far from Popham Beach. I have been to the State Park there once to attend a beach front wedding ceremony, but I have never kayaked there.

Any suggestions for launch sites or potential day trips. I may only be able to get out one day, but it would give me a opportunity to try out my new Avocet RM. :)

Lastly any sources for charts of the Popham area?

Thanks and safe paddling,

Joe

Joe,

Launch from the Fort. Their is a small pocket beach ocean side of the Fort. You need to carry your boat down there. Things to keep in mind though, it can change dramatically and what looks OK at slack will be quite challenging at max ebb, especially if there is a bit of swell coming in or you have wind against tide.

As for charts, on my way through Freeport, I usually pick up any missing charts at Delorme - you know the place with the big globe in the window? I use International Sailing chart 102 for that area. You may be able to pick that up at a local marine store. I like that chart as it is waterproof.

Probably best not to go by yourself the first time. Why don't you post when you are going and arrange a show n go?

Suz

I will be traveling to Maine next month to visit some friends. They are located in Bristol area, apparently not to far from Popham Beach. I have been to the State Park there once to attend a beach front wedding ceremony, but I have never kayaked there.

Any suggestions for launch sites or potential day trips. I may only be able to get out one day, but it would give me a opportunity to try out my new Avocet RM. :)

Lastly any sources for charts of the Popham area?

Thanks and safe paddling,

Joe

Joe, a couple of points:

1) Bristol is a long, long, long, way from Popham - at least an hour's drive. You might find it a better use of your time to just bop over to Round Pond or Bremen or Friendship and explore Muscongus Bay. Another alternative would be Pemaquid Harbor or South Bristol, both of which have some very nice paddling and are a very short drive. I don't know what access would be like in all places, but it's off season so I'd think you could find something. These choices also have the advantage that if the weather is a little dicey, you can head upriver rather than down, and still get a good paddle in.

2) If you do go to Popham, I hope you are aware that the mouth of the Kennebec can be extremely rough and intimidating depending on wind and tide. I don't know your experience level, but that's no place to be taken lightly.

For charts, visit a marine outfitter and get the chart "Sheepscot, Damariscotta, and Kennebec Rivers" which covers the area. Or if you're going there a lot, the "Chart Kit" of waterproof maps is really nice.

Tim

Launching from the beach at the State Park, (about a mile before reaching the Fort) is also an option. The currents are a little less tricky there than at the fort , although you will probably be launching through surf, which varies greatly depending on the day, and the tides . There is a fee for parking there, although perhaps not in the off-season. It is a long carry from the parking lot to the beach, but manageable if you are with someone. Doing a solo carry of a kayak would be pretty strenuous.

The Fort is right at the mouth of the Kennebec, which has some of the strongest currents on the Maine Coast, especially on the ebb tide. Local knowledge ( knowing where the eddies are and where the current is strongest ) is most important. I'm very glad that the first time I paddled there was in the company of others who knew the area well.

Suz,

Thanks for the chart tip! It's been a number of years since I have been in Freeport, but I actually know where Delorme is, but I had forgotten about them.

I would love to do a show-n-go, but...

I will be in the company of 3 non-paddlers including my hosts, so I have to work around their schedule. I have to see if I can get a better idea of when I can get out on the water before I depart.

I obviously do not know the area well. As Tim points out below I maybe staying over an hour from Popham. At the moment I am unsure of exactly where my friends have rented their place. "Near Bristol, out on one of the peninsulas, not far from Popham". For them not far could be up to a 2 hour drive! ;)

Joe,

Launch from the Fort. Their is a small pocket beach ocean side of the Fort. You need to carry your boat down there. Things to keep in mind though, it can change dramatically and what looks OK at slack will be quite challenging at max ebb, especially if there is a bit of swell coming in or you have wind against tide.

As for charts, on my way through Freeport, I usually pick up any missing charts at Delorme - you know the place with the big globe in the window? I use International Sailing chart 102 for that area. You may be able to pick that up at a local marine store. I like that chart as it is waterproof.

Probably best not to go by yourself the first time. Why don't you post when you are going and arrange a show n go?

Suz

Tim and Peter,

I am embarrassed to say that I DID NOT know Popham was near/on the mouth of the Kennebec. I obviously do not have local knowledge :o

Yes it sounds paddling partners would be the way to go.

As to experience I did pretty well at Tybee Island several years ago, but if I am honest with myself my rough water skills are a bit rusty. I have been out a number of times this year, but I have been in lumpy conditions only once this season and I am sure that was no where near the conditions you could get at the mouth of a large river dumping into the Atlantic.

I would love to give it a try, but I am going to have to give this further thought.

Thanks to all.

Joe, a couple of points:

1) Bristol is a long, long, long, way from Popham - at least an hour's drive. You might find it a better use of your time to just bop over to Round Pond or Bremen or Friendship and explore Muscongus Bay. Another alternative would be Pemaquid Harbor or South Bristol, both of which have some very nice paddling and are a very short drive. I don't know what access would be like in all places, but it's off season so I'd think you could find something. These choices also have the advantage that if the weather is a little dicey, you can head upriver rather than down, and still get a good paddle in.

2) If you do go to Popham, I hope you are aware that the mouth of the Kennebec can be extremely rough and intimidating depending on wind and tide. I don't know your experience level, but that's no place to be taken lightly.

For charts, visit a marine outfitter and get the chart "Sheepscot, Damariscotta, and Kennebec Rivers" which covers the area. Or if you're going there a lot, the "Chart Kit" of waterproof maps is really nice.

Tim

Joe, with that more detailed description I can give better advice - I do know the area pretty well, but from a (*gasp*) powerboat rather than a kayak. Round Pond is a little harbor just east of Bristol. From there you head out into Muscongus Bay, which is large and open and subject to weather, but from Round Pond you start out behind Louds Island, so it's not too exposed. From there you can head north up Muscongus Sound behind Hog Island and along the Hockomock Channel and up to the Medomak River, if you have time. This is fairly protected and very scenic - I bet it would be stellar in the fall.

Another option, a little farther away would be to drive to South Bristol and circumnavigate Rutherford Islandl. There is a neat passage called the "Thread of Life" at the south end of the island which will allow you to elimate the worst exposure - it's really a neat coastline, with lots to explore.

As mentioned before, I am not sure of access in any of these places, but in the off season I think it's likely you can find a spot. There definitely is a public dock where you cross the Damariscotta River between Newcastle and Damariscotta (you'll be crossing there on your way to Bristol. The Damariscotta River would be good choice if the weather is ugly, and there is actually a relatively tame reversing falls at the bridge to play in if that's your thing. However, I don't think the river is as scenic as being right down at the coast.

Tim

Suz,

Thanks for the chart tip! It's been a number of years since I have been in Freeport, but I actually know where Delorme is, but I had forgotten about them.

Just a heads up Joe (Suz). Delorme is now in Yarmouth (Google for map-how ironic is that!).

Gary

As mentioned before, I am not sure of access in any of these places

There's a launch off Bittersweet Landing Lane in South Bristol, east of The Gut...

http://tinyurl.com/2splqo

... although the online maps no longer report a marina at that location. Assuming it is still there, I do recall that it's a good launch point to time the tides in a circumnav of Rutherford Island, the island off the southern segment of the peninsula

--David.