Sunday 9 Sep Tuck's Pt

bob budd

9AM meet at Tuck's Pt. Likely destinations are the Gooseberries. The usual protocols. Pls RSVP if joining us in case the list gets long and we need to move the venue.

Interested. Bob, any chance of moving meet time up to 10AM? I've got a contractor meeting Sun. morning to check out my chimney which needs re-pointing.

Could you show a gmaps pedometer of the route? I am not familiar with the area.

Thanks!

Shaila

Here is one possible route, there are many more variations on this theme. You should however get a sense of the area.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1301082

Message for the enigmatic Bob Budd: I will try to join you at Tuck's. The contractor is going to be up on the roof and since I'm not going there, he can report his findings to Lo.

We rarely have a complete concept of the day's paddle such that we could draw a route map. Basically, you leave Manchester Harbor and take in the conditions, skip from island to island, and take it as it goes. The great thing about Salem Sound is that you can pass on the lee side of the islands, or not. If things seem over your head, speak up. You also have the opportunity to try things you may have not done before. All who join are welcome and we will adjust to their needs and skills.

By the way, if you google "[insert name] nautical chart" you generally find nautical charts in various places that give you a good sense a venue. Its always best to own these charts, available from MapTech and sold as outfitters, and to get used to using them.

Quick note to thank Bob, Roger & Glenn for taking this neophyte under their wing. Baker's island I should probably have taken on the lee side; a quartering sea and reflection pitched me over (my excuse and I am sticking to it) but between Roger and a quick tow from Bob they had my sorry behind back in the boat. It was inspiring to see the guys go to work in and around the rocks, even if I did hang back and just enjoy the view. And quite a view it was, even on a cloudy day. Having the seals check us out at the Breakers was pretty cool as well. Learned a lot today.

Barry.

I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to perform an ocean rescue, near the rocks, for real, rather than just for "practice."

Someone on here said, "We're all just between swims . . . " and ain't that true. Sooner or later, we all swim. It's evidence of your willingness to push your limits and learn, rather than of failure.

One thing . . . we're taught during training to bang three times on the hull upon capsize. It's taught so universally, it really becomes ingrained, and boy, when I heard "boom, boom, boom" there was no mistaking what it meant, and, actually, that big, empty, upside down hull was very effective as a sound transmiter. It's a good thing . . .

A good day on the water . . .

Quick note to thank Bob, Roger & Glenn for taking this neophyte under their wing. Baker's island I should probably have taken on the lee side; a quartering sea and reflection pitched me over (my excuse and I am sticking to it) but between Roger and a quick tow from Bob they had my sorry behind back in the boat. It was inspiring to see the guys go to work in and around the rocks, even if I did hang back and just enjoy the view. And quite a view it was, even on a cloudy day. Having the seals check us out at the Breakers was pretty cool as well. Learned a lot today.

Barry.

Barry, regarding our discussion about how the Explorer reacts to beam seas, see this opinion that I found on the net. Parenthetically, I don't think this characteristic had much to do with your sudden desire for a swim!

"The somewhat squared-off hull cross sections of the Romany/Explorer makes them rock solid on a lean and very stable when loaded.That same feature seems to make them slightly "twitchy" when completely unloaded and encountering beam or confused seas. (Depending on paddler weight of course.) Not a big deal - and don't get me wrong, it's a very subtle thing - but in paddling the Pintail this past season, I found its more rounded hull cross section and smaller volume overall handled the effects of beam waves or confused seas a bit more smoothly than the NDK boats. That said, in my opinion the NDK boats seem more laterally stable and directionally stable under a wider variety of conditions than most other boats."

My advise is to add a little more weight like water jugs and such and see if that settles it down.