February & fat is back....

Shane

I'm not an exercise junkie; actually, that's an understatement - I hate it. One of the reasons that paddling is so great is I get some degree of fitness out of it and it's an absolute blast the whole time doing it. To me, it's like free exercise.

At the end of last year, I go get a drysuit with full intent of getting out at least 'some' during this winter. Well, quite frankly, I have found it too cold to even put the pool boat on the car let alone go on a real paddling excursion. Maybe, it'll stay in the 40s and that will change. I dunno...

Is anyone else like this? I'd be real curious as to either a reference or recommendation to some book or site that people (in practice) have found works for them staying in shape at least a bit.

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

30 degrees and sunny is good, even 20 degrees and sunny can be ok, but the -10 of the past few weeks is no fun. This is supposed to be fun, right? Everyone has a different tolerance for cold, heat, etc... I work with someone from South Carolina and the hates New England winters. The way most of us felt a few weeks ago is how he feels in late October. Some people get a drysuit and paddle year round, some people just get a drysuit and extend the paddling season a bit. What ever makes you happy is fine.

As far as paddling as exercise goes I hate to burst anyone's bubble but kayaking isn't really a cardio workout and it doesn't burn many calories. Something like cross country skiing, rowing, or running burns a lot more calories. I'm trying to lose some weight and for me the best workout is rowing on a concept 2 machine. I've heard it said that for cardio/endurance training after two days off you lose a lot of the benefit from that prior workout. I guess this means at a minimium I need to hit the gym every other day.

I feel the same way. I always schedule various winter hiking adventures that I think I'll get in shape in time for and then don't, and am known for traits like "getting in shape halfway up the mountain." But this is working less well and becoming dangerous as I get older and my body would rather give out than get in shape halfway up. Hmmmm, you know maybe our club demographic leans to the mature side age-wise because this is pretty much the only sport where if you run out of steam someone will tow you. hee hee

Anyway, even though this is coming from someone pathetically out of shape this season, here are some things that have worked for me in the past to shake off the slump:

Sometimes I start to walk everywhere I can, and taking public transit more, and it gets my circulation going again and reduces some stress and then suddenly I feel more capable of thinking about exercise and take steps to really get in shape.

Sometimes I schedule going to the gym with someone else, because I'm a social person and this tricks me into thinking going to the gym is fun. Ask a friend to make you get out more. I didn't go to a pool session until someone suggested going together.

When I had a big commute I would sign up for a gym near my job, leave early and miss the traffic, work out, and then drive a short distance to work. That tricked me into not minding my commute and always going to the gym.

Paying for and committing to a scheduled exercise class -- like yoga, martial arts, dance, or something through an adult ed center -- sometimes makes you go in a way that an open-ended gym membership doesn't. The money divided by the number of times you actually exercise sometimes works out in favor of the the thing that on the surface looks like it costs more.

If you work for yourself, or are unemployed, you sometimes become wildly more productive with your time if you inflict some structure on your day in the AM, and going to work out at a gym, outside, inside to a tape or whatever certain days/hours is an excellent way to do that.

--b (who just scheduled time to compare gyms near her new home, thank you.)

I am always watching my weight so I won't be self conscious wearing my speedo for warmer weather paddles.

I have two forms of regular exercise that I engage in. One is basketball and is an entire night's comittment but I just can't get through a week without rubbing up against a bunch of sweaty guys. The other is swimming which I believe is both the least damaging and most efficient form of exercise. I can get in and out of the water in 45 minutes and presently cover 2/3 of a mile. By request of my better half I don't wear the speedo to the Y, heavens knows how much faster and farther I'd be able to go. For quick and inexpensive you can't beat laps at the local Y, gear included.

I'd suggest a young (or is it just young looking - only your hair dresser knows) buck such as yourself should get in good habits of exercise now. I have found that as the years pass it is both necessary to exercise more and more difficult to start/increase my exercise.

I've given up the guilt trip on myself and just don't "exercise". I do try to walk rather than drive, use stairs instead of elevators, etc. Paddling is the best exercise I do to get in shape for....paddling. I go out as often as I can and usually paddle against the tidal currents of the Piscataqua River...don't cover much distance but it's one tough workout. I've found that 20 degrees + (cloudy or sunny) is still quite warm on these "workouts". I wouldn't hesitate to go out below 20 degrees but wind and other considerations would definitely come in to play.

Mike,

Meet Jeff Smoke, USA K-1 Olympic Team, doing a VO2 max test. He's an animal and he got that way by PADDLING HARD !!!!

(Jeff's mother taught me to paddle 30 years ago)

http://www.jeffsmoke.com/erg-a.jpg

You say "As far as paddling as exercise goes I hate to burst anyone's bubble but kayaking isn't really a cardio workout."

Mike, come on now buddy, have you really been putting any effort at all into it? Come on, get out of that bubble your talking about!!

"I've heard it said that for cardio/endurance training after two days off you lose a lot of the benefit from that prior workout."

Mike, where did you hear that? from some guy sprawled out on the couch??

This club is primarily over 40 and kayaking is a fantastic form of exercise for this group, as its non impact. But, you have to be honest and push it a little, or push it a lot. You gain what you put into it.

Next summer, come to a Wed race and watch one 60+ year old in a sprint boat, cover 5 miles in 39 minutes. His only form of exercise is paddling and he's very fit.

YOU'VE got to PADDLE HARD !!! (3 times weekly for 60minute)

Maybe with all the workshops in the club, some kind of reasonable fitness training presentation by a qualified trainer would be of value to the lives of all members.

When I say kayaking isn't much exercise I meant the normal touring pace, casual kind of paddling. If you're paddling at a 4mph pace I really don't think it's much exercise. It's certainly better than lying on the coach and way more fun too. Probably not as good as running but then again it's more fun than that too, plus as you pointed out lower impact so it's safer.

When I was doing a lot of indoor rowing I was told that after two days of non cardio exercise you lose of lot of the benefit, something to do with red blood cells and oxygen levels. It certainly always felt that way if I took some time off. In no way am I a a "good rower" I think I placed 500 something at the CRASH B's several years ago.

I went to one Wednesday night race last year (I don't think you were there) and to sum it up "I got my butt kicked real good!"

Trivia question what sport measured the highest VO2 max?

Bonus points for the athletes name.

Can't recall the name.

High altitude climbers also develop high vo2 rates.

Paddling for fitness,(not hard core racing),is growing in many parts of the US and world, just doesn't seem to have caught on in the N.E.

Mike are you a x-c skier, try Foster's pond just down the road from Phillips of rt28. A little soggy tonight but its been good.

Scandinavian cross country skier Vegard Ulvang has been measured with one of the highest max VO2 values of any athlete (in any sport).

****GONG***** (but not the highest)

Wow.....at 93 ml/kg/min, this guy was beyond super human.

But.....wait... "Hold your tickets" !!!!!!

Mike has the name of the real #1

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

Since we're not really partial to breaking a hole in the ice to put our kayaks in,we put the boats away around November,and start tromping around in the woods. We are also afflicted with winter camping,'cause ther'es nuthin' as much fun as sleeping in the snow! Since we don't expect everyone else to share this joy,I'm thinking a cushy,sleeping indoors trek to the Lonesome Lake AMC hut in NH might be a fun winter distraction for NSPN members anxiously waiting for the water to soften a bit.

So, here's the stuff..it would have to be one of the first two weekends in March,and would need to reserve space soon. The kitchen area is heated,the bunkhouses are not,so you would need a good winter sleeping bag. For more info see

Interested?

Just found this excerpt from a published paper:

svibanj-lipanj 2001

Psihologija braËnih odnosa

NZADOVOLJSTVO U BRAKU

UZROK NEVJERE

“……..Bjorn Daehlie koji je pro©ˆle godine osvojio 8 olimpijskih zlata. Njegova vrijednost na granicama ljudskih moguÊnosti iznosi nevjerojatnih 94 ml 02/kg/ min.

Drugi je poznati biciklist Eddy Merckx sa 84 ml/02/kg/min. ......"

Mr. sc. George Salebi, dr. med.

I stand corrected!

Bjorn Daehlie is #1

94 or 95 is probably as good as it gets!

Where's Andrew Binks when we need him?

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

Roger,

http://www.geocities.com/sprintkayaks/RacingKayaks-2.html

See- CRCK- Charles River Race Group.

Also on this site is lots of info for racing in our area.

Many good ones starting in April.

The big one is the Blackburn in July, but the most fun ocean race in the Maine Island Kayak Company's Outer Green Ledge Race 12 mile with a 3+ mile crossing to the ledge and 3+ back in.

The Charles River Group just started last May and there are bigger plans for this year. It's the most fun in an Olympic sprint type boat. This year we may have some coaching at expert level for those already up to speed in sprint boats and have good strokes with a wing. For those just starting out, any of us there at these races can coach you to get you started and participating. Sprint boats are cheap, $900 new ,but lots of cheap used ones around.