Suggestions for leisurely Plum Island-area paddle?

Gene Hunt

I work in NBPT a few days a week and would love to put in somewhere one of these late summer afternoons for a post-work solo paddle. I've read previous posts on the topic and admired the intrepid types who surf the tides or circumnavigate the island. My not-quite-yet-intermediate abilities (i.e. self-rescue ok, multiple strokes, no roll yet) will limit my adventurousness to moderate conditions away from (or only at the edge of) the open sea. The available time after work should allow a few miles (depending on currents) and a couple of hours of paddling.

Any suggestions on worthwhile routes or attractions, with associated put-ins? Parker River Refuge? The harbor itself? Plum Island Point or Joppa Flats area? Thanks to all for any suggestions and tips. BTW - if anyone cares to do this with me sometime (especially if you already know the area), I'd more than welcome the company (and will buy the beer afterwards!). Let me know.

Thanks,

Gene

CD Gulfstream - yellow on white

(ready to roll - with some encouragement)

I work in NBPT a few days a week and would love to put in somewhere one of these late summer afternoons for a post-work solo paddle. I've read previous posts on the topic and admired the intrepid types who surf the tides or circumnavigate the island.

Put in at Eagle Hill and head north through the marsh and gunk-hole. Couple-a cautions... Try to do it at high-ish tide. It's prettier and more forgiving of routes. But it's also a bit hard to know exactly where you are, since many of the "islands" that you can locate yourself by are submerged. A mapping GPS is a definite asset. But you can also afford to get a bit "lost" and just wander a bit, if you are not in a rush to go from A to B.

The other caution is mud at that put-in at low tide levels. I've only been there around high, so i don't know how firm the low-tide mud is.

Also, third caution -- poison ivy around that beach. But just watch out and you'll be fine.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1278151 for a hypothetical route.

Another spot is to put in at the Plum Island bridge and head south to wander the marsh back of the northern and middle parts of Plum Island. Again, high tide is best for launching and landing at the bridge, but also for routes. The launch point is a small high-only tidal pool on the south side of the bridge and west side of the river. Or, if the tide is mid, you can use the near bank. But if the tide is low, you'll have to tromp around quite far to a steep bank on the main part of the river, and that's kinda messy.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1278194

--David

Another spot is to put in at the Plum Island bridge and head south to wander the marsh back of the northern and middle parts of Plum Island. Again, high tide is best for launching and landing at the bridge, but also for routes. The launch point is a small high-only tidal pool on the south side of the bridge and west side of the river. Or, if the tide is mid, you can use the near bank. But if the tide is low, you'll have to tromp around quite far to a steep bank on the main part of the river, and that's kinda messy.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1278194

--David

David - thank you for the timely info. I was hoping to go out today, and so I shall try your second route. It'll be about mid-tide when I get there so should be fine. I'll let you know how it was. Thanks again.

Gene

David - thank you for the timely info. I was hoping to go out today, and so I shall try your second route. It'll be about mid-tide when I get there so should be fine. I'll let you know how it was. Thanks again.

Gene

Gene,

For future paddles, Joppa Flats is always a nice paddle (you can always put in at the Joppa boat ramp (end of sea wall on Water Street. This is best +-1.5 hours around low tide. As for the harbor itself and paddling out to Salisbury, make sure you're comfortable paddling in heavy boat traffic with current.

Another launch point is the beach at the north end of Plum Island and head south from there. If you head straight south from there, you avoid all the mishigas of the mouth of the Marrimack (boat traffic, current, eddy lines, standing waves).

One problem is threading your away among the sand bars, but going on the top half of the tide makes that a lot easier. Also, a satellite image to supplement the chart helps you see where the routes are. Another issue is the current under the PI bridge, which can be strong, and in the midst of a boat channel. But you can sneak along the eastern side of the channel, outside the bridge supports. And if you time things right (toward high tide) the current isn't so bad. But it's short, and you can make it with a hearty push, though it can be dicey.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1279578

Park on the beach and pay the guy in the fishing shop $5 for the privilege. Launch south of the party boat pier. Depending on time and ambition, you can combine this with a foray into the marsh, or if less venturesome, just stop before the bridge. You can also head over tho Joppa Flats without hitting too much of the current in the Merrimack.

--David

Yesterday I did put in at the PI bridge and paddled south in the marsh maybe 2 miles down and back. It was after 5:00 (high tide was 2:26 pm), so launching was straightforward on the south side of the brige, west side of river. The currents were not a problem, though I did see (and chose to avoid) the rushing water under the bridge this time. At one point upriver it seemed like the current had reversed and I was coasting seaward, which was fun. I was wary of the weather, which appeared threatening at times, so I reversed course to get back in plenty of time before dark. The tide had receded considerably from my launch point. It was still high enough to float back to the same bank, which was now considerably more exposed and mucky. One foot out and I was up to my shins! It was challenging to extricate myself and haul the boat up, including an inglorious slip and slide on my rear, but it all worked out and I thoroughly enjoyed the paddling time. (Note to self - bring some extra water to wash mud-caked legs).

Thanks again for the detailed ideas and tips (and maps!) - it helps a lot. I plan to head to one of the other routes soon.

Gene