Adirondacks Paddling Suggestions?

ExGMan

I'm headed up to the Adirondacks in a couple of weeks w/my boat, and figured I'd do some paddling around the lakes and rivers of the area. I have done the 90-mile route of the annual canoe race, and went up the Oswegatchie in June 2006 (in a canoe). I'm wondering if there are NSPN members who might have suggestions for places I might go paddling in my kayak? I've done canoe trips with lots of portaging, but don't have a cart, so that kind of thing might be a little tough with my 60-pound boat. FWIW, I'll be staying near Saranac Lake, but slightly NW of the town.

thanks - John Gamel

John, I do, as it happens, have a waterproof map of much of the region (Adirondack): make me an offer and it could be yours -- I have never used it (bought in Saratoga a few years ago when I fancied that I'd go and explore on my days-off from racing).

John, I lived there for 12 years and know the paddling areas well. Are you interested in day trips or an overnight or two?

If you are planning on the Saranac Lake area there are many great scenic and remote trips. Let me know your interest.

Hal

John, I lived there for 12 years and know the paddling areas well. Are you interested in day trips or an overnight or two?

If you are planning on the Saranac Lake area there are many great scenic and remote trips. Let me know your interest.

Hal

Hal - Thanks. PM sent. JG

Forked Lake is very beautiful and barely inhabited; from Forked there's a short carry (that can be done by car) to Raquette Lake. The SE outlet of Raquette Lake leads, over a 1/2 mi carry, to a series of lakes that end up in blue mountain lake--a lovely paddle.

Follansbee Clear Pond is small, but beautiful, with connectiions via short carries to a series of ponds...

We Bostonians don't much get to the Adirondacks. More's the pity--excellent campsites and lots of isolated flat water...

enjoy

tom

Forked Lake is very beautiful and barely inhabited; from Forked there's a short carry (that can be done by car) to Raquette Lake. The SE outlet of Raquette Lake leads, over a 1/2 mi carry, to a series of lakes that end up in blue mountain lake--a lovely paddle.

Follansbee Clear Pond is small, but beautiful, with connectiions via short carries to a series of ponds...

We Bostonians don't much get to the Adirondacks. More's the pity--excellent campsites and lots of isolated flat water...

enjoy

tom

Thanks Tom. I do have the Adirondacks Canoe map (which I have waterproofed). I'll look for Forked Lake. I think I've been on Follansbee Clear Pond, but will re-visit for sure. Thanks again.

This is the best Saranac Lake area day trip. Put in at the South Creek boat access on RT 3. Paddle into Middle Saranac (if you have the time cross the lake and visit Weller Pond). Paddle east across Middle Saranac through the bull rushes into the Saranac River. Follow the river through the locks. At this time of the year it is a self service project (the instructions are on a sign). Continue down the river into Lower Saranac Lake. Paddle about 1/3 of the length of the lake to the Saranac River outlet. Paddle to the RT 3 (State Bridge Boat Launch). You can take out there call a taxi from Saranac Lake and get back to your car or keep going. Continue down the river through one more set of locks that I think are also self service this time of the year. Paddle through Oseetah Lake staying on the Saranac River to the Lake Flower boat landing. Call a cab and they will take you back to your car. Your boat should be safe at the landing during daylight hours.

Enjoy. If it is Thursday try the buffet at the Hotel Saranac.

Hal

This is the best Saranac Lake area day trip. Put in at the South Creek boat access on RT 3. Paddle into Middle Saranac (if you have the time cross the lake and visit Weller Pond). Paddle east across Middle Saranac through the bull rushes into the Saranac River. Follow the river through the locks. At this time of the year it is a self service project (the instructions are on a sign). Continue down the river into Lower Saranac Lake. Paddle about 1/3 of the length of the lake to the Saranac River outlet. Paddle to the RT 3 (State Bridge Boat Launch). You can take out there call a taxi from Saranac Lake and get back to your car or keep going. Continue down the river through one more set of locks that I think are also self service this time of the year. Paddle through Oseetah Lake staying on the Saranac River to the Lake Flower boat landing. Call a cab and they will take you back to your car. Your boat should be safe at the landing during daylight hours.

Enjoy. If it is Thursday try the buffet at the Hotel Saranac.

Hal

Hal - Thanks for the information. I've done pieces of this in a canoe with excitable/irascible fellow paddlers...it will be different and better by myself in a kayak. JG