Safety PFD Strobes

gyork

I may not be a representative sample but I've had two ACRs croak on me and the Princeton I got a couple of years ago still functions. That said, I think the ACR is a bit brighter but not sure it would make too much difference.

I may not be a representative sample but I've had two ACRs croak on me and the Princeton I got a couple of years ago still functions. That said, I think the ACR is a bit brighter but not sure it would make too much difference.

Someone posted that the C-Lights tend to die when using normal batteries and not vented from time to time. We were also told that lithium batteries will not only not have the off gassing issue but will last longer if they are needed.

-Jason

Yeah, I think I'll invest in lithiums for both the c-light and the strobe... cheap insurance. Also, just to correct my prior post, it was the ACR C-strobes, not the Firefly that died early deaths. So, can't say how the Firefly might perform.

Carl C.

Lights, lights lights,

Neither of the two that you mentioned have lived a very long life on my pfd. Actually I will check today if the ACR one is working. One problem is the outgassing of the battery. BUt I do think that they aren't very well made. I have had them fail even with the lithium battery. For awhile I tried the trick of opening the seal on them when I wasn't using them but then would forget to close them back up when using.

I got a Christmas present last year that I really like. It is a Glo Toob FX - http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAc...amp;ProdID=1217

It is waterproof and works well. When used in the white mode, it satisfies the white light requirement. I keep it tethered to my pfd and it lives in my Tributatry pack on the back of my PFD.

I also use a waterproof headlamp and wear it like a necklace around my neck. I have it ready to use on the water if needed, I can direct the beam and it makes the pack up easy.

Also keep a few cheap glow sticks handy that I can tether to my bow. My headlamp, the glow sticks and a clip on compass all live in a bag that I keep with my gear. If I paddle late in the day, the bag goes in the kayak just in case. It always comes with me when camping too.

So, that doesn't quite solve your problem as to what to do with your LLBean gift certs. Probably could buy some fleece or one of their small lunch boxes. They do a good job with those. You could also give them to me and I will use them up for you!

Suz

Lights, lights lights,

Neither of the two that you mentioned have lived a very long life on my pfd. Actually I will check today if the ACR one is working. One problem is the outgassing of the battery. BUt I do think that they aren't very well made. I have had them fail even with the lithium battery. For awhile I tried the trick of opening the seal on them when I wasn't using them but then would forget to close them back up when using.

I got a Christmas present last year that I really like. It is a Glo Toob FX - http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAc...amp;ProdID=1217

It is waterproof and works well. When used in the white mode, it satisfies the white light requirement. I keep it tethered to my pfd and it lives in my Tributatry pack on the back of my PFD.

I also use a waterproof headlamp and wear it like a necklace around my neck. I have it ready to use on the water if needed, I can direct the beam and it makes the pack up easy.

Also keep a few cheap glow sticks handy that I can tether to my bow. My headlamp, the glow sticks and a clip on compass all live in a bag that I keep with my gear. If I paddle late in the day, the bag goes in the kayak just in case. It always comes with me when camping too.

So, that doesn't quite solve your problem as to what to do with your LLBean gift certs. Probably could buy some fleece or one of their small lunch boxes. They do a good job with those. You could also give them to me and I will use them up for you!

Suz

Suz-

Glad to here you like the Glo-tube, as it was a product that had caught my eye. If any one is looking to get one, make sure you've got the correct color and model. Suz's link is for the infrared version, which would only be useful if you're paddling with night vision googles on :unsure: A white light version is :

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAc...amp;ProdID=1224

from that vendor. They also have models with different caps that vary in waterproofness and convenience.

Phil