Riverhead to Misery - 8-19-07

alcoons

I hope someone will write a full trip report, but it was a wonderful paddle. 8 launched from Riverhead and did 13 miles, looping the small islands at the edge of Salem Sound, watching a good number of seals on the northern side of Baker Island, lunching on a high point of Misery, and returning back against some light winds and chop to Riverhead.

If the seals where the highlight, then our coordinated crossing of the channel between Bakers and Misery was the low point. As we gathered in a line at the channel edge, one unnamed ferret suggested we head to the right and go around of House Island and then turn back to Misery. The yell of agreement went out to follow the ferret as we began our crossing. While the line stayed in tack, before long we were strung out over 1/2 mile as said ferret headed directly towards Misery...only about 30 degrees too far to the right. Debate reared its ugly head wondering what we had missed. Whistles, yells, radio calls to the ferret did no good as 1/2 the group followed the ferret and the other group split the difference between the ferret and the bearing for House Island. We finally got the ferrets attention and she came steaming back down channel gathering the rest of us. When asked what she was doing, she said "I was surfing that big boats wake...why do you ask?" Of course, ferrets are not natural leaders given their independent streak but they sure are fast.

Pictures are in the Gallery.

I hope someone will write a full trip report, but it was a wonderful paddle. 8 launched from Riverhead and did 13 miles, looping the small islands at the edge of Salem Sound, watching a good number of seals on the northern side of Baker Island, lunching on a high point of Misery, and returning back against some light winds and chop to Riverhead.

If the seals where the highlight, then our coordinated crossing of the channel between Bakers and Misery was the low point. As we gathered in a line at the channel edge, one unnamed ferret suggested we head to the right and go around of House Island and then turn back to Misery. The yell of agreement went out to follow the ferret as we began our crossing. While the line stayed in tack, before long we were strung out over 1/2 mile as said ferret headed directly towards Misery...only about 30 degrees too far to the right. Debate reared its ugly head wondering what we had missed. Whistles, yells, radio calls to the ferret did no good as 1/2 the group followed the ferret and the other group split the difference between the ferret and the bearing for House Island. We finally got the ferrets attention and she came steaming back down channel gathering the rest of us. When asked what she was doing, she said "I was surfing that big boats wake...why do you ask?" Of course, ferrets are not natural leaders given their independent streak but they sure are fast.

Pictures are in the Gallery.

I can't believe you outed me like that, Al--those peole who have paddled with me over the years, will know exactly what you are talking about--the swearing ferret