treating glasses/sunglasses -drip and salt deposit free?

Phil Allen

Anybody have any recommendations on how best to treat one's eyeglasses so that on a windy wet day they dont accumulate large amounts of salt? We were out last saturday with 20+ winds and after an uphill slog I could barely see through the salt. I'm wondering if something like rain-X would work for sea water the way catcrap works for fog on ski gogles?

Thanks.

Phil

ps, I cant see much past a few boatlengths without them, hence the question

Get used to it, as there's nothing you can do that's going to make any significant difference. It's just part of paddling.

Phil,

About the best advice I can give you is to periodically rinse them off with fresh water from whatever you use as a drinking source when paddling. Both Bob and I clean our sunglasses off with squirts of water from the Kokatat bladders we have attached to our PFDs. When we stop for a break, we also try and rinse them more thoroughly from whatever reserve bottles we're carrying.

It's also a good idea to really give your sunglasses/glasses a good strong rinse under the tap when you get home. This keeps the salt from accumulating around the lenses and the hinges.

Deb M

Anybody have any recommendations on how best to treat one's eyeglasses so that on a windy wet day they dont accumulate large amounts of salt? We were out last saturday with 20+ winds and after an uphill slog I could barely see through the salt. I'm wondering if something like rain-X would work for sea water the way catcrap works for fog on ski gogles?

Thanks.

Phil

ps, I cant see much past a few boatlengths without them, hence the question

You might want to look into lasic surgery. I had it done about 3 years ago because of this very problem. I had only one eye corrected for distance since the other eye was good for reading. I paddled in circles for about 2 weeks until my brain adjusted but it was the best investment for outdoor sports I ever made.

Gerry

Phil:

Actually, the quickest method is to rinse them in the ocean! Yes, it's salt water, but has a lot lower concentration of salt than the repeatedly layers of dried salt that builds up over the day. You'll have spots, but not the thick crust.

Can't take your hands off the paddle to swish the glasses in the water? Do a roll or grab onto a partner's bow and dunk face first. Probably a good idea to have a retainer strap to keep from losing them.

Same trick works for GoreTex paddle jackets or drysuits, particularly on multi-day paddles where there is not time. The salt build up compromises the breathability of the fabric; a rinse in the ocean removes most of it.

Or you could try the Rain-X and report back whether it works. I'm sure many on this message board would appreciate the research.

Scott

Start with the glasses really clean so that water beads off them. Rain-x should help. When you can stop paddling rinse them with a mouthful of fresh water and rap them sharply edgewise on the deck. Most of the beads will leave the glass but you will need a more elaborate cleaning to remove sunscreen.

i wear Barz perscription goggles....love em.....

but i have this same problem....

option 1: rainx....works -eh....not great....

option 2: a thin coat of furniture polish is what some water photographers use on their lenses....

option 3: Onne Vanderwal mentioned that he uses toothpaste....not certain why but he said it worked on his camera lenses......

i just peer around the drops and then swipe them with the back of a thumb if i get a chance......

r

option 3: Onne Vanderwal mentioned that he uses toothpaste....not certain why but he said it worked on his camera lenses......

Toothpaste is an abrasive... probably NOT the best thing to use on optical lenses!

Jim.

Toothpaste is an abrasive... probably NOT the best thing to use on optical lenses!

Jim.

thats why i said not certain....he had told me something about trapping a layer of water on the lens.....he has been on travel lately and i have not been able to follow up on that....

r

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the "lick them clean" method, as that seems doable without taking the retaining strap off even in lumpy conditions. Followed up by fresh water rinse when do-able

Phil