Ellesmere serial # location?

Don

At the recent outfitting workshop, we noticed that Gayla's Ellesmere had cracks in the Kajaksport hatch cover rings, as did another Ellesmere that was there.

We were urged to contact Boreal Designs for suggestions, so I sent them an email outlining the problem.

They responded, requesting the serial # from the boat. She's had the boat for over 2 years, and we had in the past looked for a serial # to no avail, and assumed that they just don't serialize the boats. However, they say:

"It is located at the stern, on the deck, just over the multicoloured seam tape, on the right hand side."

Well, we've looked and looked, but don't see a serial # anywhere.

Can the other Ellesmere owners out there find their serial #'s?? Are we blind?

Thanx

Don

Very interesting. Mine is a 2003 kevlar model and I went over it carefully and also cannot find a serial # anywhere. I have a vague recollection of there being a serial number on the FG version I used to have and that it looked as though it was scratched into the gel coat (boats I have from other manufacturers have it stamped into the gel coat). However, the new Ellesmeres have a strip of relective material on each side at the stern right above the seam tape. If the serial # is there, it has been covered by the relective tape.

Jill

I just went out to the garage and looked at our Ellesmere. The serial # IS on the "driver's" side rear just above the seam tape about 6" from the tip of the stern. I had to use a flashlight and look hard.

Hal

Hmmm... seems to be a bunch of counterfeit Ellesmeres out there :-)Mine has the serial number where they claim it should be. It is an older boat though so perhaps something has changed with the newer ones and whoever does the email support at Boreal hasn't been told yet!

Good luck!

She finally found the book and warranty card, which has the serial #, so I guess we can proceed from here. Thanks for the responses. I'll pass along that they don't seem to have their marking system under control.

Don

After reading the other posts, I went back, this time with a flashlight and found mine about six inches from the stern on the "driver's" side, but BELOW the seam tape. I had been looking above the seam tape. It is scratched into the gelcoat and the "font" size isn't very large.

Jill

I own a 2002 Ellesmere and the serial number is located at the stern on the right side just below the tape strip that bonds the deck to the hull (if you were standing in back looking forward).