Applying a stencilled name to one's kayak

Hello ! Would someone be so kind and advise how one would apply a name (stencil?) to ones Kayak

(thermoformed)?

Many Thanks

Larry

It depends on the material. If it's thermoformed polycarbonate (or similar), most paints designed for plastic will stick to it fine. Hobby shops sell paints specifically formulated for it. If it's rotomolded polyethlene, don't waste your time with paint, as it won't stick well enough to hold up over the long haul.

It depends on the material. If it's thermoformed polycarbonate (or similar), most paints designed for plastic will stick to it fine. Hobby shops sell paints specifically formulated for it. If it's rotomolded polyethlene, don't waste your time with paint, as it won't stick well enough to hold up over the long haul.

Thanks Brian!

Does this help...the material is "Tri-extruded polymer...with a Solarkote topping"

Thanks again

Larry

Decals

On one of my homemade boads I simply had some decals made up with the words, font and size printed to order on a clear vinyl decal. Do a search online and you will find a number of outfits that will produce as little as one decal for you for probably no more then the cost of materials to paint a name onto a boat. Plus if you choose to sell the boat at a later date, you can always remove the decal

Hello ! Would someone be so kind and advise how one would apply a name (stencil?) to ones Kayak

(thermoformed)?

Many Thanks

Larry

Hi.

If it's polycarb, like most car bumpers, auto touch-up paint should work fine.

Ern

Decals

On one of my homemade boads I simply had some decals made up with the words, font and size printed to order on a clear vinyl decal. Do a search online and you will find a number of outfits that will produce as little as one decal for you for probably no more then the cost of materials to paint a name onto a boat. Plus if you choose to sell the boat at a later date, you can always remove the decal

I think this is a very good idea, a lot less work and as you say removeable

thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...

(thermoformed)?

Many Thanks

Larry

Hi Larry. While at the State Fair I stumbled upon an exhibit (jokensigns.com; Ken Young) that did custom signs and decals. He made a decal for me on the spot http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560594366fwQryG . This decal is 8" long and the height is formatted automatically. The cost was $11/decal (Ibought 2) Seemed a far better deal than the well-known commercial outfits. His website is disabled until mid October. Might be worth a call if you're interested - 603.834.0830.

Gary