Details & Directions - Outfitting Workshop #2

Brian Nystrom

VERY IMPORTANT!

---------------

Due to the low temps this weekend, we will need to conserve heat in the space we're using, so we'll have limited ventilation available. Anyone doing foam & glue work MUST have an organic vapor mask and they are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for all participants (see photo). We will have many more boats than last time and the glue fumes are likely to be pretty strong. Protective gloves are also a good idea.

Safety glasses are also recommended for all participants.

Although this is not an "official" NSPN event, Richard will have liability waivers for all participants to sign, in order to protect the organizers, the NSPN and the owners of the building from liability. As with NSPN events, safety is paramount.

If you're doing foam work, you'll need contact cement. My favorite is shown in the photo. You'll also need a pint of lacquer thinner and some paper towels.

The best tool I've found for shaping foam is the Stanley Surform tool shown in the photo. I also have a sanding drum for the drill press.

If you have an old kitchen knife that you can use for cutting foam, please bring it. You can always pick one up at a local "dollar store". High quality is not necessary.

For those doing deck rigging, I have spools of bungee and deck line, both in black only. I also have a decent supply of wood beads for deck rigging, but there probably won't be enough to go around. They are available Michael's Crafts and AC Moore stores for $2.99 a bag (27/bag for the 19mm beads, 18/bag for the 25mm). If you anticipate using quite a few, it would behoove you to buy some.

I will be bringing a drill press, a band saw and an industrial sewing machine. Richard will bring a portable TV on Sunday, so we can catch the Patriots game.

I have made 48 pump holders in advance, which is enough to do at least 24 boats. If need be, I can make more on site.

There is no food in the plaza we're at, so bring munchies, lunch and beverages. Boat US at the end of the plaza has graciously agreed to allow us to use their toilet facilities. They also sell lots of useful stuff, so please reward them by spending a few bucks there.

DIRECTIONS

----------

Waverly Oaks Park (Office/Retail/Warehouse)

411 Waverly Oaks Rd. (Route 60), Waltham

Note: Boats US and Party Needs are retail stores within the complex that faces the street

Directions:

From 128 (95)

Take Trapello Rd. exit

Head toward Cambridge/Boston

Drive 4.5 miles

Take a right at traffic light on to Waverly Oaks Rd. (Route 60)

1/3 mile on left is Waverly Oaks Park (Office/Retail/Warehouse)

Directions to the loading docks.

Building layout:

Face the first long building in the complex that is parallel to Waverly Oaks Road. Boats US is on the left, Party Needs is in the middle, we will be using the last two loading dock doors at the end of the building on the right.

The hours will be 9:00 to 5:00, both days.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image9/1/6...50MUsHCQ_ph.jpg

All of these items are available at home centers and hardware stores.

sorry for my ignorance, but i can't find the photos you mention in the description of this weekend's outfitting extravaganza -- where are they?

thanks much,

colin

I have a question, if I've got lots of regular DAP Weldwood Contract Cement and not the Gel variety, is it necessary to go out and buy the Gel? What is the nature of the difference as far as the work we would be doing. Is it that the Gel doesn't drip and run as much?

Jill

"I have a question, if I've got lots of regular DAP Weldwood Contract Cement and not the Gel variety, is it necessary to go out and buy the Gel? What is the nature of the difference as far as the work we would be doing. Is it that the Gel doesn't drip and run as much?"

That's exactly the case. What you have will work just fine.