Article on Foot pumps

Guest guest

I was cruising the on-line articles in Sea Kayaker and came across an article by our own NSPN'er Tom Finn from the Feb 2003 issue.

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2003/03Feb/pump01.htm

It describes how to install a foot pump on the bulkhead of a kayak. Good clear article, photos, simple. Also, the Bosworth pump Tom used is an alternative to the Henderson pumps we often see (contact info given).

Tom: any reports or insights after a season of use?

Kudos to Tom: I remember the article but at the time did not make the connection that this was our Tom.

Scott

Wow... neat article; neat idea. Thanks, Scott; thanks, Tom.

Brian, can we do this in outfitting workshop? (Only partly kidding -- sounds like a significant project)

Anybody wanna buy a very slightly used, battery-operated, waterbuster pump?

--David.

David:

Before you sell it, can you give us a field test report? There was a lot of discussion of electric pumps last year: how did it work out in practice?

Scott

Excellent article.

For those considering doing this - the Guzzler 500, even though it seems like a good idea because of it's higher output, will _NOT_ fit in an Explorer or similar height boat. At least not without having tubing running all over the place. It may fit in a Gulfstream or Argonaut. Don't ask me how I know this... ;)

However, for those with higher volume boats, this is a higher volume option.

Here's a link to another writeup on the installation of a Guzzler, using a 400 instead of the 450 from the Sea Kayaker article:

http://www.wiredweb.com/~mntnhead/BULKHEAD%20FOOTPUMP.htm

Ciro.

"Leaders don't swim" - Gordon Brown

Scott asked how the waterbuster worked in practice.

When it worked, it worked well. It pumped the cockpit on its own, as I paddled. I was able to snake the tubing under the sprayskirt, and thus get a totally hands-free pump-out.

But there were problems.

One was keeping the thing ~off~. More than once, I found the battery dead because the switch had been left on or jiggled on. The motor is very quiet, and it sometimes hard to tell if it is on. The on/off switch is a push-button rather than a slider or toggle, so you can't tell if it's on or off by looking. Sometimes I had to hold it up to my ear to be sure it was off.

Another problem is turning it off after the pumping is done. If you've been paddling, you have to pop your skirt and use two hands.

A third problem is where to put it. I never did get to this (or any outfitting, for that matter) but I probably would have secured it behind my seat, to the rear blukhead, positioned to (mostly) pump my cockpit without being moved. That would reduce but not eliminate the problem of needing to stop paddling to extract it from a hatch and deploy it. I determined that I could indeed reach around behind my sea and turn it on easily and unfurl the hose. Behind the cockpit would not work on a slanted rear bulkhead, like the Avocet.

I was going to try for some kind of release system, like velcro, so it could be removed for someone else's use.

In the end, I think a foot pump as described in the article is a lot better for your own cockpit, despite being a bit of a project to install. A waterbuster might be good to keep in a day hatch for assisted rescues, to augment or replace a hand pump, though I'd obviously still carry a hand pump. It does reduce the reluctance to use flooded-cockpit methods such as scoop, which might entail several minutes of vigorous pumping while rafted. But the waterbuster is really more of a convenience in that case, to pump out faster and with less effort. One could also deploy it to pump the rescuee on the fly and then raft up again to turn it off.

So, all in all, it didn't turn out to be as good as I hoped. If I had done the outfitting, it might have been a nice item. I'm now thinking a foot pump is better (but wondering if I have the time and/or skill to install one these days.)

Shane had one too. How did it turn out, Shane? How does MIKCo use them -- I understand they have quite a few among their crew.

--David

...for pumping out one's own boat have been dedicated installations. Typically, these involve the following:

- A high capacity bilge, pump (Rule, Atwood, etc.) mounted behind the seat.

- A rechargeable 12V battery pack installed in a watertight container like a Pelican box. This is usually mounted either behind the seat or in the day hatch.

- A waterproof switch mounted where in can be activated with the spray skirt in place. In some cases, it's been mounted through the deck. In others it's been mounted inside or below the coaming rim and it's activated by pushing in on the skirt to reach the switch.

- A thru-hull exhaust for the pump.

This type of installation eliminates the problems you experienced with the Water Buster, but obviously it can't be used on someone else's boat.

The article mentioned by Scott has had me seriously thinking about installing a pump in my boat.

The 450, foot operated model, seems to be ideal because it has the ability to fit high on the bulkhead.

At this time, my only concern is the location for the discharge fitting.

Top deck discharge:

. Pro - protected from damage.

. Con - water discharges up in the air, etc.

Side discharge (above water line):

. Pro - water does not splash in your face.

. Con - fitting is vulnerable to being broken by a strong blow (rock, boat, etc.)

Any thoughts, experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

>At this time, my only concern is the location for the

>discharge fitting.

>

>Top deck discharge:

> Pro - protected from damage.

> Con - water discharges up in the air, etc.

I've seen people with top discharge pumps (and others assisting them) take a lot of water in the face when emptying a boat. That pretty much turned me off to the idea.

>

>Side discharge (above water line):

> Pro - water does not splash in your face.

> Con - fitting is vulnerable to being broken by

> a strong blow (rock, boat, etc.)

In my experience, this is simply not an issue. The bulkhead fittings you can buy are intended for use on bigger boats and are very rugged.

You forgot one other advantage to side discharge; if you cock your hip a bit, you can soak your friends from quite a distance.

>The bulkhead fittings you can buy are intended for use on bigger boats

>and are very rugged.

> if you cock your hip a bit, you can soak your friends from quite a distance.

I'm SOLD!!!!!!

Time to begin shopping for more STUFF!

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

I thought it was a neat item, but the practicality of storing it, knowing that it may not work, didn't really do it for me.

To be honest, I pack it in my day hatch "sometimes", with the thought of giving it to someone else if needed.

The footpump seems pretty cool and most useful but I am just not comfortable with that kind of modification - perhaps I remember the boat cash a little too vividly still.

Instead, I am going to be putting in a foam bulkhead into my boat at the next workshop. My hope is to get some of the same benefit of the a sea sock. If it doesn't by then, maybe I will have the nerve to take a powerdrill to my hull :))

_Shane

>Shane had one too. How did it turn out, Shane? How does

>MIKCo use them -- I understand they have quite a few among

>their crew.

>

>--David

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

Here are some more links on foot pumps:

http://forums.confluencewatersports.com/vi...&highlight=pump

http://www.loup-garou.net/pump.html

http://www.wiredweb.com/~mntnhead/BULKHEAD%20FOOTPUMP.htm

http://www.bosworth.thomasregister.com/olc...502/pumps_1.htm

I was seriously considering this, but decided not to for three reasons:

1. The extra weight in the boat when I am carrying it on my shoulder.

2. Clutter in my cockpit with a hose running behind my seat which I determined would be necessary because there is more than a gallon of water in my cockpit before it reaches the bottom of my forward bulkhead.

3. Having to put my front bulkhead 3-4" beyond my feet reducing my forward hatch space by same amount.

I also looked quite seriously into an electric pump behind the seat. I had determined that the simplest solution involved a 12V hand tool battery in a drybox that could be taken with me for recharging and lightening the load. I also found a pneumatic switch that could be turned on and off with my knee or foot for a truly waterproof, hands-off solution. The reason I am not going to do it? Cost, over $150, most of which is the battery which ideally I should have two of.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smoky Ivory