Of Friday Afternoon and Solo paddling

EEL

After nearly a month of obligations, but not really having the desire to paddle either, I had the urge today when we closed the office at noon. It was either a short paddle on the ocean (its an hour away for me) or a longer paddle on Lake Winnipesaukee. Not the ocean, but an east wind and eight mile fetch into the broads made it not flat. With a water and air temp of just under 40, not a place to take lightly either. So I grabbed minimal stuff, loaded the Anas and GPs, stopped at Dunkins to fill the thermos, and off I went. Over the next three hours and 10KM I had the luxury of a lake to myself, the enjoyment of paddling a wood GP and a boat you wear, and the pleasure of my uninterrupted company. After a few lightly rolling crossings and wandering about island shores, I was back near dark feeling a bit tired, but knowing why I paddle.

We all have our reasons for, what we seek while, and the pleasures we find in paddling. Today was a good day for mine.

Ed Lawson

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I know the feeling well. On Dec. 28th, I went out on Nantucket Sound - made it home just before sunset and took a photo with my new Pentax optio W20... my old Nikon coolpix fell victim to swells off of Great Waas in August.

It wasn't the most significant kayak paddle I've done, but it was nice to feel the old muscles move again, the wind on my face and hop over some breaking waves. Sometimes simple works.