Conomo Point 11/11

brwells

A glorious warm November day to paddle - how often can that be said? By noon Leon G, Rick (_rick) and his daughter were already in the water and ready to go. The rest of us (Deb M & Bob, Mary B, Judy, Doug, and me) arrived slowly, but eventually we headed out.

Bob - in his beautiful "new" Pintail - lead us through the meandering course to the east pointing out all the false turns, dead ends, and landmarks. We practiced various methods of turning our boats and were amazed at how agile the Pintail was considering its portly weight. Shows what rocker really means to the maneuverability of a boat.

Once out of the turning part of our day, we headed straight across to Crane's Beach where we enjoyed a nice stretch, food, and the great weather. As the sun started to go down, we headed back to Conomo Point enjoying being able to paddle in such nice conditions in Essex without any boat traffic (one boat does not make "traffic".)

For me, this was not just enjoyable, but quite therapeutic after last Saturday's paddle with Nigel Foster. That paddle was quite an ordeal as we spent the time rock gardening along Rockport and at Thacher Island. For once, I knew I was a bit in over my head and before that actually became a situation instead of just a phrase, I bailed after three hours. It was quite fun, but not for six hours like the rest endured (I mean enjoyed.) So I needed a paddle like today's to remind me of why kayaking is such a pleasant sport and what good friends are truly about.

Thanks everyone!

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

It was truly a beautiful day for the paddle Brian. Thanks for you effort in arranging it. It was good to have an opportunity to practice paddle assisted rolls! Thanks Judy!! and an opportunity to try out your RomanyLV...Thanks Deb!!! But the BIGGEST thanks go to Rick_! You saved me a run back to Alex's place!!!

AND for Deb and all who are interested, here is the Spice Tea recipe:

Mix together: 2 cups tang, 1/2 cup Instant Lemon flavored tea, 1 tsp cinnamon, dash of cloves, pinch of ginger (I am generous with the spices except ginger).

mix and store in a jar..use to taste with BOILING water.

maryb

Thanks, Brian, for the opportunity to paddle in fall, when every thing is quieter, less buggy, and the color of the marsh is fading into winter.

I'm always happy in the RomanyLV, but Bob got to finally try out his Pintail. Now we (but, of course, I paddled it) know why people love these boats.

What a great day with every one!

Deb & Bob

Mary, thanks for the tea recipe. Yet another way to use that gigundo jar of Tang I bought for a hot drink whilst paddling....

> but Bob got to finally try

>out his Pintail. Now we (but, of course, I paddled it) know

>why people love these boats.

>

>

So is it a real Pintail with an OC as opposed to one of those wannabes with a keyhole? I suspect, like the AA, it does teach you a great deal about your stroke and control skills in a hurry. Along with providing a wonderful feeling while in the boat in addition to sheer fun.

Ed Lawson

Yes, it is a "REAL" Pintail, with an ocean cockpit and no day hatch. She's egg-yolk (boy is she bright) yellow and is one of those (at least by what I've read on Paddling.net reviews)classic boats whose year of birth, 1992, makes her somehow more valuable than anything thereafter.

Personally, I don't care. She paddles real nice and that's all that matters.

Deb M

> She paddles real nice and that's

>all that matters.

Indeed it is.

BTW, yesterday Gail was showing off by sliding off the rear deck into a static brace and then back up again without a paddle. I guess yoga is in my future if I am to have a prayer matching her antics.

Ed Lawson

What a great day!!! Jen had a wonderful time and enjoyed the company. Of course a lighter smaller paddle worked wonderfully too....Many thanks.. Its such a wonderful thing seeing the world through the eyes of a child. We dabbled along after we left towing her for a short stretch. I put the boats on the truck only to turn around finding her up to her chin swimming. Simply amazing. Thank you all for making us feel welcome...

Rick

I'd like to thank Doug whose long reach enabled a quick adjustment

of the footpegs. Otherwise I would have had to crawl into the ocean cockpit upside down to adjust them!

Guys, it sounds like you had a wonderful day! I wish I could have done both paddles, and Brian I'm so glad you had one of those paddle days where you're like, oh yeah this is supposed to be fun, not terrifying all the time!!!!! :) One of my favorite all time paddles is the route you took over to Cranes beach, you get everything from boat practice in beautiful marshes, a nice crossing and wave and beach time . . . that was my first "real" paddle and will always be one of my favorite routes - congrats for organizing your first SNG!!!!!! You certainly had a great group of people out there with you :) Did you hear shouts of glee just because from Mary (I love it when I hear her "whopees!!!") Did you get some really good tips from Deb and Bob who are the king and queen of gentle praise and teaching? And did you hear Walter's booming laugh from his house? :)

Thanks K&G;

This is what I most remember from Saturday:

- Mary couldn't wait to tow someone with her new rig.

- Jen looking great in her yellow boat

- Jen volunteering to let Mary tow her

- Bob turning ever so gracefully and quickly in the Pintail

- Deb with her calm encouraging words

- Leon paddling to Crane's like he was shot out of a cannon

- Judy always seeming to be nearby when I wandered from the pack

- Doug telling me about paddling on some fresh water

- Walter meeting us at the landing; first time meeting him

- Feeling like I can't wait to get back out there

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim