Interesting hood

Brian Nystrom

While wandering around Wilderness House, Linda and I stumbled upon a hood that seems ideal for paddling. It's the O'Neill's Coldwater Hood pictured below. It's made of 3mm skin-out neoprene, which reduces evaporative cooling. The short brim is stiff enough to hold its shape well. The long neck will overlap a dry suit neck seal and the adjustable face closure allows a comfortable fit that seals well.

http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/shop/images/1986.jpg

W.H. has size medium and large in stock.

This vendor has them in stock and offers free shipping:

http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/

Looks like a nice Xmas gift for the paddler on your list!

makes these hoods better because it minimizes spray and drips off the eyes (or glasses in my case) more than just a plain ole hood. Really noticeable on windy/rough water days.

sing

This reminds me, I just bought a couple of the Henderson Hyperstretch Hoods (boy they are SO comfortable and easy to put on.) They have a small bib on them, and I seem to remember that Peter K. mentioned cutting the bib off. My first question is: Can I just cut the neoprene to fit under the neck gasket protector on my drysuit, or is there some treatment I need to put on the cut edge of the neoprene?

My second question is: Has anybody tried spraying silicone waterproofing on the nylon exterior of their hood to prevent evaporative cooling?

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smoky Ivory

I contacted Clearwater Surf for sizing guidelines. O'neill's catalog lists the Medium as fitting a hat size 7 1/8. The Large is for 7 1/4 (22.75" plus/minus 1/2"). Sounds like these hoods run a little small, but hopefully not as small as the Kokatat Surf Bill cap. One would have to be a pinhead to wear the Surf Bill even in a L/XL!

My apologies to you pinheads out there. ;- )

Joe Galloway

"The older I get, the better I was."

From what I can gather, the Hyperstretch Hoods come in 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm. We got the 7mm, so I guess we won't be hearing much. I think that keeping my head and ears warm is more important than being able to hear. I'll probably be so unafraid of capsizing that I will be able to take both hands off my paddle to sign.;)

BTW, the ones we bought have "Titanium" on them, and I don't know if there are different versions with and without the "Titanium".

Dee Hall

>My second question is: Has anybody tried spraying silicone

>waterproofing on the nylon exterior of their hood to prevent

>evaporative cooling?

Wendy,

If memory serves, Silicone waterproofing works by penetrating a porous base material and drying to form a moisture barrier. But I wouldn't expect this to affect the tendency of the outer surface of that material to hold water. DWR or some such treatment might help for a bit but nothing would work better than an exterior surface that naturally sheds water like the smooth surface of raw neoprene of fuzzy rubber.

Jack

I'm sorry, did Wendy ask this question too? I must have missed it.

There is no doubt in my mind that a smooth outer surface is a better solution, but after trying on a bunch of hoods, none compared in comfort to the Hyperstretch. I guess you can't get everything you want in one hood. Water seems to bead up real well on silnylon, so I was thinking that treating the nylon on the neoprene might work too. I have tried the DWR on some stuff, but it doesn't seem to do much for long.

Dee Hall

FWIW, I find that I use my 3mm hood by far the most. It's warm enough for most purposes (even "tea bag" duty during leader training) and doesn't affect my hearing as much as thicker hoods. I use a 6 or 7mm hood for cold water rolling practice, but it's much too warm and restrictive for plain ol' paddling.

As with anything neoprene, fit is critical. A thick, loose hood will be far less protective that a thinner, snug-fitting hood. Also, a hood that's comfortable is more likely to be on your head when you need it, rather than languishing on your deck or in a hatch. With thin hoods, the material probably doesn't matter that much as long as the fit is good, but in thicker hoods, Hyperstretch neoprene will probably make a big difference in comfort.

All hood affect your hearing, but if they keep water out of your ears, it makes a big difference. Again, that's a fit issue.

Dear Dee,

I think you got the dry suit style hood. The set suit style has a huge bib and is way more comfy but does not seal as well.. I've been out of town.

...except at the seams, where cutting through the stitching might cause unravelling. But many seams are designed for being cut--they have little bindings around the stitching every quarter inch or so. You cut below a binding, and the seam won't unravel past it. Those large flanges are definitely meant to be trimmed--for a drysuit with an extra flap to protect the neck gasket, i.e. most Kokatats, I found it easiest to get help from someone else to judge the amount of flange to trim.

Sanjay

• 2 weeks later...

and it's good. I wore it alone for ocean rolling (41 degrees) last week, and with a thin fuzzy rubber under it for rolling amid the ice at Walden on Sunday. Normally I would wear two thick hoods for that temperature, but because of the drawstring, I was fine with one and half, so to speak. There is enough clearance around the face to use a dive mask. The flange is not as large as those on divers' hoods, which I had been using previously and which required trimming. The face drawstring works just like a tuiliq--it can be left loose enough to slip sunglasses underneath or tightened to prevent water entry.

As others have noted, O'Neill's sizes run tight. The brim of both this and my other O'Neill hood are a little firm against my forehead. I'd prefer a softer finish in that area. Otherwise, no complaints.

Thanks, Brian.

Sanjay

Sanjay:

Thanks for the product report.

Couple of questions: Does this hood have a naked neoprene skin inside the face opening as a seal? Does it effectively keep the water out?

Scott

The shiny outside neoprene folds over to create a channel for the drawstring, which can cinch the hood up either under your chin or around your mouth. There's no other special treatment along the inner edge. By itself, it keeps water out as well as my previous combination of a normal-sized neoprene hood with a full-sized diver's neoprene hood on top--and is more comfortable. I found that on forward-moving rolls I'd scoop a little water in along the cheek and temple, but I hadn 't really tried to tighten it all the way--I'll try that when I get a chance.

Sanjay

I tried out my hood yesterday and it worked great! The first time I rolled I didn't have it cinched down quite enough and got a little water in around the temples. It was easy enough and quite comfortable to cinch it down a bit more and get no leakage.

The medium that I got is probably a little big for me, but because of the cinch-able bungee around the face, it worked just fine. It was also comfortable to wear while paddling and easy to pull off the back of my head when I got too warm.

Linda