Marblehead to Salem, Maritime Festival - What a group!

Gillian

The level 2 paddle that Kevin put together for Saturday turned out to be fantastic. We had the perfect conditions for a level 2 paddle that day but we got to push the limits; we did about 10 miles, had some good ocean swell and chop, rocks to play in, a couple channel crossings (not too long), and boat traffic, which gave everyone a taste of some higher level conditions. But for the most part we just had lovely sun, calm waters and a great initial experience for some of the paddlers out in the ocean.

We had a group of 13, or was it 12? I was leading most of the way so what's losing track of a person or 2 right???? I don't know, I think they all made it across that last channel :) But seriously we did have 12 or 13 people, maybe 10 by the time we got back and I think everyone had a great time. Bob and Deb were awesome, Deb staying up front with me and Bob and Kevin in the back, I'm sure hoping to do some T-Rescues which never happened!!!!

There was a great varying level of experience in the group from some first and second time ocean goers to long time paddlers. It was one of those paddles where it just doesn't matter what level you're doing, you're just happy to be out on the water on a beautiful sunny day.

We left Marblehead's Riverhead Beach at about 9:15 and headed out into the Harbor, past Fort Sewell hugging the land to stay out of that narrow channel in Marblehead. Bob started with some great forward stroke lessons for those who hadn't been out in some time . . . Boat traffic was fairly light at this point and the waters were calm as we headed towards Salem. We got a chance to play in the rocks a bit and at some point I heard an exasperated Bob or Deb telling Kevin to "get out of there" since he's supposed to be paying attention to paddlers :) I laughed and was reminded of how Kevin and I sigh and grumble at our two Brittany's to "get out" of whatever they're not supposed to be into :)

We did get some nice swell and boat wake which was fun for us and good experience for those who hadn't been in it before . . . I remember the first time Deb told me to just relax my hips and go with it as I was passing along that piece of advice to a couple paddlers next to me.

We all rafted up for the channel crossing across Salem Harbor and headed in to the Friendship and landed for about an hour for the Maritime Festivel. We all kind of dispersed for coffee, or lunch or to tour the boats at dock that day.

We returned to the water and I tried a roll which I did pretty efficiently although still not "pretty" - AND all you folks who promised it's easy to roll a loaded boat were right - I was very surprised that it was no different, in fact a little easier.

The trip back was fairly uneventful but still relaxed and fun and we even got into some skills . . . Deb was showing Maria the bow rudder as Kevin was showing the same stroke to a couple people in front. I remember Vince asking me about the forward stroke and I gave him a couple of the best pieces of advice I've gotten . . . asking yourself what muscle just moved that paddle through the water, your torso or bicep? And then a couple tricks for forcing torso rotation.

One of the most fun parts was back at the beach, the tide was coming in but it was shallow with just a couple feet a good 15 yards out from the beach. So we had time for boat antics and skill sessions. Deb and Maria practiced edging and bow rudder, Bob gave some lessons, I blew a couple rolls 'cause I was tired and lazy but saved the last one by laying out on the back deck - Ralph talked a bit about how rolling was taught in Greenland paddling with sculling taught first and then the roll second which gets you used to the last part of the sweep.

Kevin and I got a chuckle when he asked me if I was doing the C to C roll or the sweep because we're not so sure . . .

Kevin finished up the day by kissing his bow - I got a great butt shot :) while Bob grabbed his stern and assisted with a lift :)

All in all a great paddle, great group of people who went out and a number of well deserved beers were had I'm sure by all afterwards . . .

Here are links to photo's and the gmap pedometer for the route:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onlyonebeckers/my_photos

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=344644

>The level 2 paddle that Kevin put together for Saturday

>turned out to be fantastic.

>

>We had a group of 13, or was it 12?

Obviously a good deal on interest for these paddles, leading me to wonder at what point, as a practical matter, does the originating person become more than a poster of a informal paddle and the trip more than a SNG for like kind paddlers?

>We got a chance to play in the rocks a bit

>and at some point I heard an exasperated Bob or Deb telling

>Kevin to "get out of there" since he's supposed to be paying

>attention to paddlers :)

Kudos not only to Kevin and Gillian for providing so many paddling opportunities, but also to Bob and Deb for using some of their scarce paddling time to help and mentor.

> I remember the first time Deb told me to just

>relax my hips and go with it as I was passing along that

>piece of advice to a couple paddlers next to me.

>

So there is indeed a continuinng "Pass it along" effort.

As the season progresses, I wonder if the SNGs and the new paddlers will progress also in level and variety. I guess that is up to "us" isn't it?

Good things happening all around.

Ed Lawson

>hadn't been out in some time . . . Boat traffic was fairly

>light at this point and the waters were calm as we headed

>towards Salem. We got a chance to play in the rocks a bit

>and at some point I heard an exasperated Bob or Deb telling

>Kevin to "get out of there" since he's supposed to be paying

>attention to paddlers :) I laughed and was reminded of how

>Kevin and I sigh and grumble at our two Brittany's to "get

>out" of whatever they're not supposed to be into :)

Hmm, plastic Avocet, hard head, SNG...really can't imagine where else one would be but in the rocks :)

>Hmm, plastic Avocet, hard head, SNG...really can't imagine

>where else one would be but in the rocks :)

Cannot speak for Deb and Bob and know not the circumstances, but perhaps they were suggeting that as the poster of a SNG, you cannot be totally free to do as you wish. I agree that seems a contradiction, unfair, and not your intent perhaps, but reality bites on occasion.

OTOH, who am I to talk?

Ed Lawson

>...telling Kevin to "get out of there" ... he's supposed to be

>paying attention to paddlers

I recognize this is all in good fun but I want to remind all that noone on a SNG is responsible for "paying attention to paddlers" as if they were a leader, guide, etc. I wouldn't want a poster, or potential poster, to think otherwise.

>Ed, you keep mentioning Kevin and Posters . . . . do you

>have a poster of Kevin you're not telling me about and if so

>can I get a copy!

Sorry, I was paid a great deal of money to not release a copy.

I must say that at least the animals other than the lobsters, to their credit, appear to have been chagrined at their participation, unlike the humans involved. Who would have thought lobsters have such lives.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...24_lobster.html

Ed Lawson

>I recognize this is all in good fun but I want to remind all

>that noone on a SNG is responsible for "paying attention to

>paddlers" as if they were a leader, guide, etc. I wouldn't

>want a poster, or potential poster, to think otherwise.

I suppose this opens a thicket and personally I agree with your statement. However, I'm not sure its all that simple unfortunately.

While NSPN has no responsibility for what, when, who, where, and why of SNG trips, I believe it fair to say that as these trips become more popular and more people participate; then the farther they are from a meeting of friends off for a paddle. Especially when they are a means for newer members to "stretch their legs" a little. At that point, regardless of any legal liability, one could argue those who post SNGs or have more experience and training and go on such trips have a some obligation to mentor not only by monitoring others and providing helpful hints, but to be able and prepared to make basic decisions during the paddle. Even a collection of friends usually has some means of making decisions which involves something other than a show of hands. Often you rely upon the most experienced person regarding a given issue.

I'm not saying I agree, but I can see the point. I know of one large club where it is emphasized that the trip organizer's responsibility ends when the first boat hits the water. Still, their trip organizers sometimes check equipment, assure there is a lead and sweep, take head counts regularly, check paddlers status, etc. Its just a thicket that needs to recognized it seems to me.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

You're opening a can of worms!!

The trips on the private trips forum fall under the guidelines of a common adventure model. Club isn't liable and in theory neither are individuals.

http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/CADefine.htm

And update to above:

http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/CALitReview.htm

Probably more from Ron Waters here...

http://www.ronwatters.com/RonPapers.htm

Suz

The poster or any experienced participant can choose to watch over, mentor, train, etc. What each person, poster or participant, chooses to take upon themselves is a personal choice. It is never an obligation, regardless of circumstances.

Personally, I try to keep an eye on everyone "in the pod" while changes of float plan (hah!) are made by a chaotacracy. (When "Where do we go from here?" comes up I frequently flash to an image the vultures in "Jungle Book".)

As a poster I have had participants who provided credentials as if they expected me to say yea or nay to their participation. To this sort of request I provide explicit descriptions of distance, conditions, etc. expected but leave participation to their choice.

>Ed,

>You're opening a can of worms!!

>

The devil made me do it. Also I should not have used a term that has "baggage" like "common adventure model". To be more precise I had in mind the type of trip discussed in John Lull's book as a "team" trip.

Actually, I agree with what bob Budd is saying, and I think he and I are on the same page but expressing it differently. While not an obligation, the question to me is really what would be prudent for an orgainizer to do from the perspective of having an enjoyable paddle. I agree people should be free to make their choices, and NSPN is not part of the equation since they are SNGs.

Ed Lawson

This was my first experience taking on a trip of any real distance. I chose to try this trip because of the great weather, and supportive group going. I was worried that my inexperience and large boat would force others to be "held back" in helping me out.

I just wanted to say that I greatly appreciate everyone's team effort in helping make this a fun trip for me inspite of my limitations.

Kevin coached me on my forward stroke, reminding me to not be so "tense"..., and remember to try to use the core muscles rather than the arms...(Sunday's soreness proves that I need to work on this more!)

Gillian was mindfull at each boat crossing to gather everyone in order to cross in visible-mass, and rafting-up to provide me with advil (note-to-self: need to pack this!) when I started to feel headachy on the way back...

Deb staying with me when I started getting tired, and helping me stay aware of boat traffic.

Bob reminding me that continuing to paddle in boat wakes and swells gives more stability...

and Dan checking in with me to see how my headache was and making sure I was drinking my water...

And everyone else whose names I'm not remembering for their support, conversation and company! Great trip!

In a previous life I ran preschool field trips. The stress of necessary constant head counts and responsibility for other's safety can make the trip (and job of leader) less fun than its worth. I saw the group acting much like a family working together, rather than any one person having to take responsibility for everyone. In such a large group, there was always someone near by checking in with those they were close to at a given moment.

Thank you so much for the encouragement to participate, and the opportunity to learn what my own "level" is.

>

>Thank you so much for the encouragement to participate, and

>the opportunity to learn what my own "level" is.

Obviously many people contributed to making it a great trip and in my experience they are indeed great fun and more to paddle with.

Just keep in mind you don't have a

"level", you just have a transitory level of experience and skills.

Explore, grow as you wish as a paddler, and enjoy the paddling you choose to do.

Ed Lawson