BCU training

cmfos

I don't know about the rest of you but I certainly enjoyed reading Ciro's post about the BCU training down in Georgia. It sounds like a great learning experience. I've thought about going through the training as well but the fact that I am firmly ensconced in "Twigger Nation" makes me wonder if it would be possible to do the training as it seems that they all use Euro-paddles. So I was wondering if those of you who have done the BCU training have ever seen Greenland sticks at the assessments or is a Euro paddle something of a must for the training.

thanks a bunch.

Jim

There are others who are (much) more qualified to answer you than I, Jim; but I cannot forget that poor Ken Condon relinquished his Greenland stick after gaining his *** (we have not seen him all this year -- other fish to fry, I hear). , in the newest edition of the BCU Handbook there is actually some reference made to those little sticks and I should not be surprised to hear that the official attitude is changing...

Why don't you call Tom Bergh and ask him what gives?

I am also not an expert, but I have asked this question of some who might be. I was told that you can use a GP, but extended paddle strokes are not allowed for certification.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smoky Ivory

...the BCU has a separate Greenland certification, or at least they were working on one (in conjunction with a midwest Greenland paddler who's known for being as dogmatic as the BCU). I haven't heard of anyone who's been through the program, so perhaps it doesn't exist yet. Frankly, that wouldn't bother me as Greenland technique is not something that can easily be codified and crammed into a mold, nor should it be.

If you decide to take the BCU training, I'd suggest that you do it with a stick, since that's the paddle you're going to use. My understanding is that you can use whatever paddle you want, but you still have to perform the skills in the prescribed manner. I've heard that there is a lot of variation among instructors and assessors in their attitude toward GP's, so you might want to shop around before plunking down your money.

Another option would be to spend some time training with actual Greenland instructors. Our own Keith Attenborough and John Raleigh are trained professional instructors and accomplished twiggers. I hear that their coaching rates are quite reasonable.

Dan, Turner, Will, Tony and the boys at Walden Pond (aka, the "Walden Pond Scum") will work with you, gratis. As the response to the recent NSPN clinic with them attests, they know their stuff and communicate it well.

If you don't mind travelling to NJ, Ray Killen is an excellent instructor (as is his wife, Margaret) and he wrote the ACA's Greenland coach curriculum.

If you're looking for a break from the winter, Greg Stamer and Mark Molina are down in Florida. Both have won championships in Greenland, so I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find better instruction in using a stick.

While I'm sure there is much to be learned from the BCU training, it makes more sense to me to invest your time and money with people who will teach you how to be more effective with the paddle you prefer, rather than teaching you techniques that are less than optimal for it.

The more advance BCU trainings are less about exactly how you do a stroke and more about making good decisions at sea as well as your comfort in more challenging conditions.

I know that one paddler did the 5 Star in the UK with a GP. And as an ACA instructor there is nothing that you can do with a Euro paddle that you can't do with a GP. Only thing that is a little different is the forward stroke blade angles. Body mechanics which is the important stuff is the same.

As an update -- I'm no longer in the "professional instructor" business (got tired of working for the insurance company). However I'm more than happy to share what I know about Greenland paddling with anyone who is interested (and frequently with others who accelerate quickly in a different direction as soon as I show up). I've also got spare paddles to try.

If anyone has any questions, is interested in trying a paddle out, or just wants to go over techniques, etc., let me know. Greenland paddling is just way too much fun to keep it to ourselves.

Keith

Hi Keith. I DEFINITELY would enjoy getting together with you for some pointers on Greenland technique. I love my GP but I am sure there are many things that I can learn.

My email address is cmfos@yahoo.com

Let me know if you want to meet up sometime for a tour. I'd definitely like to get out on the water soon!

Thanks a bunch!

Jim