Jump to content

Going for It on Casco Bay


Recommended Posts

It had been six weeks since salt water and the temps were up, but Sat. not feasible and appointment in Portland on Sunday till noon. Forecast was 80% chance showers, afternoon winds 15-20K, waves around 2-4 ft and Small Craft Advisory, but Gail says lets take the boats and see how it goes. Driving up to Portland clouds from approaching low front still high and weather radio indicates no rain in area. At noon up to Cousins with three hours to low tide. Overcast, gray, chilly and raw, but still no reported rains and buoy info promising. What the heck, forecast is for showers not rain, this part of the Bay protected, and the wind is steady. Decide to go south against the wind which lets us monitor the approaching front. Just a nice paddle for a few hours sharing the bay with seals and birds as the only vessel we saw all day was the Peaks ferry. Clouds getting lower and the horizon getting closer, so time to return with the wind pushing us along as we ride small following waves. By pure luck the showers started as we packed up to head for chowder on Commercial St.

Some days it pays to go for it...with caution.

Ed Lawson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...