11/23 chalk talk co-presenters needed

adambolonsky

We could use a co-presenter on Sunday to discuss some of the roughwater skills Ken Cooper mentioned in his recent post. I for one was so astonished to see Ken pull what I call a "shtoonk", which is essentially jamming the paddle blade-down forward of the cockpit when about to be broached bow-to a breaking wave. It was thrilling to see how his kayak swung bow-to the break, a fine defensive position, and one I want to learn to use. I've never liked being beam-to in shore break, even while fishing, and was glad to see Ken use that move two weeks ago.

So can Ken or someone else come along to talk about some of the moves they've learned in rough water recently? No need to present yourself as the know-all, but some added perspectives can help. I can talk about moves I call "the gimp", "the tuck", and "the butter-up", but that's about it, as anyone who's paddled with me knows I hate wallowing around in shorebreak in rock gardens.

>We could use a co-presenter on Sunday to discuss some of the

>roughwater skills Ken Cooper mentioned in his recent post. I

>for one was so astonished to see Ken pull what I call a

>"shtoonk", which is essentially jamming the paddle

>blade-down forward of the cockpit when about to be broached

>bow-to a breaking wave. It was thrilling to see how his

>kayak swung bow-to the break, a fine defensive position, and

>one I want to learn to use. I've never liked being beam-to

>in shore break, even while fishing, and was glad to see Ken

>use that move two weeks ago.

>

Actually, Armand teaches this in his surf class.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Ivory

Armand teaches that ? Dang..he must be good !!!

Dee, did you take that class from Armand ? Can you do the things Armand demonstrated?

There's alot to be learned from Armand . Remember his motto; "On the water, Learning in Motion".

Usually, after you see the teacher demonstrate stuff for a day, you've got to go away and learn this stuff on your own in your boat. If the skill isn't something you're ready to use now it gets lost. You can only learn what you're "ready to put into action."

Adam, thanks for the good words. I must admit that I don't have any names for these strokes, and don't give them any "thought" at all. It's what any whitewater paddler does as they ride up the face of a wave to reposition their angle relative to the oncoming rapids. I was fortunate enough to start paddling as a kid and these things are so much easier to learn then. I can see that with my own 12 year old son now. Kids don't want to listen to alot of talk, they just want to "do it". There's a lesson to learned by watching how they "figure out" what to do. You just have to hang close and "mentor" them as they discover the "feel for it"

Adults don't have it so easy, I know. Nevertheless, learning to paddle is primarily a physical skill. As to being a co-presenter, I appreciate the offer and as much as I like to talk about paddling, I would be surprised if anyone would benefit by hearing me blab.

The idea of having monthly club meetings is probably what everyone craves. You'd have alot more fun at the meeting if you drink beer and watch some Extreme Whitewater videos.

> You'd have alot more fun at the meeting if

>you drink beer and watch some Extreme Whitewater videos.

When is the beer workshop? And where?

Count me in!

Oh, maybe it was because I asked for it. At the beginning of the class (as with every kayak class I have taken) Armand asked what everyone wanted to learn. I said I wanted to learn how to get off of the wave when I was done riding it.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Ivory