Rough water chalk talk 11/22

adambolonsky

Join NSPN at a chalk talk 11/22 (Sunday) at a location TBA from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm as we discuss how to plan for and execute a roughwater trip, including rescues. We'll be drawing heavily on the lessons NSPN paddlers have learned from the past two on-water roughwater worksops.

The class will be fast-paced, varied, and informative, and will include group work, decision-making exercises, and the sharing of the knowledge and experiences of paddlers who have hit the rough water hard recently and been hit equally hard by it in return.

Topics to be covered include:

1. The differing challenges posed by wind-driven wave and offshore swell, and why one type of rough water can be more challenging to deal with than the other.

2. The most effective rescues to use and which to avoid in roughwater and higher winds (believe me, we have many ideas on this now, given what went down after two capsizes last weekend that put SIX paddlers on the rocks in less than ten minutes).

3. The importance of setting clear and specific rescue protocols with your group before leaving the put-in.

4. How to assure the safety of a group while a rescue is in process

5. How to execute two-rescuer rescues (i.e., victim, primary rescuer, and secondary rescuer using an upwind rope); how to execute three-rescuer rescues (i.e., victim, primary rescuer, secondary rescuer, and third rescuer, or "bulldog")

6. How to read coastlines "live", and charts beforehand, to anticipate where roughwater will occur relative to the current marine forecast.

7. How to make put-in and paddling direction decisions

8. How to keep warm while in the boat and while on breaks.

9. Radio shorthand to use to make rough water communications faster and clearer.

We'll also hear from several paddlers who capsized hard these past two weekends...

Post your interest here and watch the message board for an update on the exact location. Chances are we'll do take-out pizza or whatever.

I'm definitely interested! Will have to deconflict with kids & personal schedule.

Awaiting the Sat. or Sun. decision ;)

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

I'll be out of town that weekend, so here's what happened to me the other day, in case it's helpful:

I took a gamble trying a rough water workshop in a boat I'm not used to, in conditions well beyond the level I typically have paddled in. I second and third guessed my decision to go, as Scott and Liz can attest to, lol. In the end, choosing to buck up and give it a shot even with all the leader support possible may have been... well, let's be kind to me and just say "too experimental." For those of us who learn best by doing, sometimes it's a painful process.

I came through the choppy gap in the breakwater from Lane's Cove in Gloucester, which had unnerved me a bit. I was heading out and was going to head straight out more before turning, but I was the next to last paddler of the entire workshop, and I cut to the left, causing me to bash Adam and then try to straighten out so that didn't happen again. At the same time I was learning how to balance in the waves. I immediately started heading a bit more sideways than I wanted. I was having trouble rectifying this, and was quickly losing confidence with the freaky lack of control feeling (nothing was working that I was trying) -- I felt like when you're driving along and hit black ice. I hollered for help to Adam well before I was near the shore (I told him I needed help turning and that I thought I was over my head and probably should head back).

Adam said "Let's get you out of here," and very quickly attached a tow, but however short this time was, it had us cruising rapidly toward the shore. He then did exactly what has been mentioned in the tow/rescue discussion -- he stabilized me and we both started back paddling while Rick C. came to tow both of us out. However, in the time we were rafted together to discuss/attach the tow, we had not a lot of paddling ability and the force toward shore was great and rapid. Any time we spent talking (maybe three sentences total) was apparently too much time, perhaps even without that it would have been too late, and all three of us ended up by the shoreline. I found myself in a rescuer sandwich as we reached the shore which felt very unsafe.

I flipped as the waves jumbled the boats to the shore. I hit rock. (Yay for helmets; I hit hard enough while flipping that the next day I found that the back of my head was all bruised.) The tow line tangled around me so well that I actually thought at first that Adam had connected it to me without me noticing. The loop in my spray skirt also managed to catch the bow of my boat in the chaos. I detached all of these things and hung onto the bow. Meanwhile, Adam was connected by the towline to my boat, he thought, and tossed his belt (it was recovered). The waves continuously bashed everything to the rocks. Rick's boat was still attached to my boat.

Holding the bow kept me out of the crush, but I decided to then spend what felt like several decades attempting to get some kind of lasting hold on very slippery rock in the sucking/pushing waves in order to pull myself out of the mess (I remember after several years of trying, Rick yelled to me to try getting up on the rock). I am assuming this is when my knees got thoroughly bruised. To answer a question I was asked later, I'm pretty sure I could not have swum out away from the shore in those conditions, esp. when wearing a PFD.

Once I got on the rock, and Adam got to safety, we made sure each other were whole. I then watched Rick as my boat continued to attack him. He tamed the wild beast and I shouted and pointed out the nearby beach, which he had already been aware of. He brought it in, suffering a (later) swollen hand and big loss of gel coat from the ordeal. My paddle floated into a spot by the rocks that had footholds, so I was able to get back in and retrieve that. Rick landed and he and I made sure each other was ok.

During this time the two other members of our group did a very smart thing. The other leader, Rick S., stayed with Dee, paddling, though not too far. They then came in to the beach when we were all there.

Adam helped me pull the boat up toward the road. I asked permission of a homeowner to bring my car down while the others launched again. (The homeowner, a kayaker, made sure I was okay, made sure I knew it was a private road, and then lectured me on not being out...couldn't I see it was Rough Conditions?)

We were all basically fine, and our boats were all solid. Having something to do next right away (taking a walk to my car and loading the kayak) was helpful to my state of mind. However, in hindsight, I would say we probably should have taken a few more moments to come off of the experience. I have seen people in hiking and car accidents continue to function (perhaps in some degree of shock) while they were actually injured in ways that they didn't yet realize.

It's possible that if we realized how fast everything could go to shore/hell, Adam and I should have immediately headed for that beach instead of even trying to tow. I had looked at a chart before going out, but had been looking at where rocks/shallow areas, etc. were, not been looking at it in terms of bail out spots. "Always leave yourself an out," I think they say in driver's ed. I didn't even see the beach until I was out on the rock.

And for the record, I owe Adam a tow rope stuffing, and have offered my gel coat application and helmet replacement services to Mr. Crangle. I am not sure yet what the experience did to my confidence, but I have learned a great deal, and am looking foward to practicing handling my boat in slightly more protected areas for the near future. Tutors welcome.

--b

PLEASE count me in - I was so bummed that I couldn't particpate - I would love to learn from everyone else's bruises (err experience). Thanks for organizing this Adam!

As Adam and Rick C. broke off from the group to help Bethany, the rest of us: myself, Jonathan, and Rick S. had made some progress in the direction of the first group. Fortunately, we became aware of the rescue and stopped. Rick decided it would be best for us to point our boats directly into the wind and swells to make maintaining our position easier. Unfortunately, this meant we were facing away from the rescue.

After roughly 10 minutes we turned back around to see if they were about to catch up with us or not. Instead we couldn't find them at all. First we paddled back to Lane's Cove to see if they took out. Then we started paddling back to where we last saw them. Finally, we saw them on the beach and rode the surf in to join them.

We really had no idea that things had gotten serious. In retrospect we probably should have pointed the sterns of our boats towards the wind and paddled backwards to maintain our positions. Adam and Rick C. had no easy way to ask for more help. The obviously had their hands too full to radio, and three whistle blasts would have been lost to the wind.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Ivory

>We were all basically fine, and our boats were all solid.

>Having something to do next right away (taking a walk to my

>car and loading the kayak) was helpful to my state of mind.

>However, in hindsight, I would say we probably should have

>taken a few more moments to come off of the experience.

I think this is really an important point. In the "heat" of things, it is hard to slow down and take enough time.

>I have seen people in hiking and car accidents continue to

>function (perhaps in some degree of shock) while they were

>actually injured in ways that they didn't yet realize.

For this reason the risk management guidelines for many outfitters/outdoor organizations require that anyone being "evacuated" be accompanied. Bethany's situation may not have qualified as an evacuation but she did hit her head and was then going to walk to her car and drive by herself. Having someone go with her would have been prudent.

Liz N.

I did not get to participate in the rough water clinic--but if I could attend this discussion group to learn in more detail what happened, it would be helpful--I am willing to offer my house in Somerville if a place is needed--les

[ They obviously had their hands too full to radio, and three whistle blasts would have been lost to the wind. ]

In a reply to an Andrew Binks tale of foggy paddling in Maine, Skimball writes:

“He brought a compressed air horn with him, it was attached to his deck the whole time. We inquired as to why/when he used it - his reply - lobster boats in the fog.”

I’ve had similar fog experiences and some close encounters with powered and sailing boats. In each case I think a lung-powered whistle would have been inadequate and gone unnoticed. Following last month’s disaster on the Cape I decided to ad an air horn to the collection of ‘Things I Always Paddle With’.

West Marine has several to choose from and I bought the 3.5 oz Falcon Jr Signal Horn. It has plenty of gas for lots of noise unlike the mini variety sold at REI. Stowing it in an accessible spot is an issue made a little easier with 2” Beckson Clipper Clips, also available at West Marine. It floats and can be retrieved if dropped over the side.

Don,

I know there has been problems with compressed-air air horns in the past that don't function well if water gets into the horn. They sort of squeak instead of giving the expected blast. Might be worth a test before you need it. (Of course, test and practice before you need it holds true for all equipment).

If it does function when water gets into the horn, let us know. It would be good to know of a specific model that didn't suffer this problem.

Thanks,

Ciro.

"Leaders don't swim" - Gordon Brown

i am not going to be there on the 22nd but here is my 2 cents -

you belonged bow out to the conditions. your job was to clear the area, stay safe and assist as you could. rescue protocol is me, me, group, victim. i was fine, you were safe and rick and adam were on the rescue so that leaves stay clear and assist as needed. stern to is less stable and adds the possibility of another swimmer if something sneaks up on you. it is reckless given the situation.

and that situation is that since there was no assistance you could offer, there was no need for you to see the rescue and therefore no need to be stern to conditions. it's an added risk you don't need to take given that...

rick and adam were doing the rescue and had their hands full where they were. there is nothing that you could have added to the equation that was positive. the only assistance you could have realistically given was a radio call and there wasn't one needed. had there been one needed, they were all proximate to shore/beach and could have made it once they got the rescue sorted out and assessed the situation further.

yup, we lost them on shore when another group came between us and they all kind of blended into one. has no bearing on the situation. we caught up with them and it cost us a paddle of 300-400 feet or so.

part of leading is assessing your skills and the skills of those around you given the conditons and situation - you need to understand that watching wouldn't have changed anything, you had nothing to offer the rescue and they didn't need you to make a radio call.

the concern is not so much you but anyone who reads your post and thinks that stern to conditions just so that they can watch a rescue is a good idea. you are safer not doing so and since the rescue already had everything it needed, adding people, boats, radio calls, and gear doesn't help. let them sort it out, be safe and then re-group.

that's what i have learned from the many bcu classes i have taken and the time i have had on the water in rescues, but again, your experience may vary.

>We really had no idea that things had gotten serious. In

>retrospect we probably should have pointed the sterns of our

>boats towards the wind and paddled backwards to maintain our

>positions. Adam and Rick C. had no easy way to ask for more

>help. The obviously had their hands too full to radio, and

>three whistle blasts would have been lost to the wind.

I wasn't there and I've not paddled with any of the people involved, except RickS, so my comments are general rather than specific to this situation and should be taken with a grain or two. That being said, in most cases the best thing other members of a group can do is not become more victims. Trying to stay stern-to in wind and waves can be very difficult and unless the folks involved are very comfortable in the conditions, the chance of putting another person in the water isn't worth taking.

The old priority rule (me, me, me, my mates, the victim, me) is not selfishness. Unless you are very certain you can be of assistance in a rescue, your obligation to everyone is to keep yourself safe, so your mates don't have to rescue you too.

--Amy

Since I was comfortable with the conditions, it didn't occur to me that one of us might capsize. It's kind of odd that I wasn't concerned at the time given that people in other groups were already being rescued. I guess I was focussed on keeping the wind from pushing me towards the rocks.

Dee Hall

Actually, it never occurred to me that I would have gone in to assist. I was thinking of you, the much more experienced (and bigger, and stronger) paddler. As it turned out, they eventually sorted things out and we weren't needed. However, had one or both of the rescuers gotten injured, we, at the very least, could have called the CG. Bethany banged her head before wet-exiting and Adam capsized four times. It easily could have been much worse.

Stern to the waves is certainly not as comfortable as bow is, but I (and presumably, you) have spent a lot of time there while waiting for the next big wave to surf on. I still think that perhaps one of us should have been watching the rescue.

Dee Hall

I'm a total newbie to the sport - as in, just purchased my first sea kayak two weekends ago. It's something, though, like my year-round distance running/marathons/etc., I intend to pursue headlong.

Given my gross lack of experience, would attending the chalk talk be too much like putting the horse before the cart, or do you all think it would still be benificial?

Roger,

As long as you have enough imagination to place yourself (in your mind) into the scenario being described, it will be helpful.

Dee Hall