Cape Ann Circumnav Thurs. 6/14

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

Greasy Pole 9am. butts in boat time. Counterclockwise circumnav. If you're looking to break the speed record, this isn't the trip for you. Planning on stopping in Rockport Harbor before continuing. Current forecast for Thurs. isn't great so keeping an eye on it. Post here if interested. Usual SNG rules apply (read: you are responsible for yourself and for the consequences of the decisions you make :) At the moment, there are two of us going.

Tides approx. 5:00PM Low/11:00AM High/ Winds 10K NE. This means going counter clock wise from Greasy Pole you can expect the following conditions: Leave harbor 9:00AM last two hours the tide is running against you. Round the dogbar to face 10K wind all the way to Rockport. Round Halibut Point you're in the lee and should get a little help all the way to the mouth of the Annasquam Depending on what time you get there the Annasquam is ebbing into Ipswich Bay. If you do get to the high school much before 5:00PM that end of the Annasquam is ebbing into Gloucester harbor. I almost think clockwise would be the better choice.

My comments were offered not as a rebuke but by someone interested in making the trip as well. I, however, knowing my own limitations would want to take advantage of the conditions to give myself as much of a break as possible. My longest trip to date was Lanes Cove to Thatchers and back under ideal conditions. While I'm sure you and others can paddle 22 miles into the wind and against the tides, I would not attempt that. If I'm wrong or offbase in my analysis, please correct me; if not then please reply sans sarcasm.

I had planned to do the Blackburn circuit from Lanes to Lanes today (6/13) at high speed but cancelled due to the following weather report:

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS

AFTERNOON

THIS AFTERNOON

NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS

4 TO 7 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

TONIGHT

NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 25 KT IN THE EVENING.

SEAS 5 TO 7 FT.

THU

NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT LATE. SEAS

4 TO 7 FT.

I think the small craft warnings will probably be up tomorrow as well. At any rate, 4 to 7 foot waves with 20 KT winds is dangerous between Braces Cove and Dogbar and also crossing Sandy Bay. Don't worry about the strong current in the river ... the worst that will happen is you'll have to land to rest up. Worry more about the waves and wind in the open ocean.