Cold weather breaks

Guest guest

Yesterday at the rough water workshop we took a break to debrief after about 45 minutes on the water. It was barely above freezing and the wind was about 20kts, so many of us started to get cold. I had lots of warm stuff in my boat to put on during lunch, but it was in drybags so I didn't want to take it out for a short break.

I have plans and materials to build a waterproof, sunlight absorbing, body-heat reflecting cagoule. After this experience it is going to go inside my most accessible hatch outside of the drybags so I can throw it on during short breaks. I am also going to add mittens made of the same material and partially sewn into the arms of the cag.

What do others do for short breaks?

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smokey Ivory

If it's not raining, I like to open my drysuit to accelerate drying my upper body. Until recently, I've been using a waterproof, med. weight, ski jacket with breathable fabric.

But now, I use a fantastic cover-up introduced to me by Jed Luby.

The "Jed-Cag" is a one-size-fits-all Cag made from heavy duty waterproof breathable material.

Rugged as hell, it's now standard issue on every trip.

...Mfg: RasDex

...Model: SealSuit

...Price: $145.00 ±

Click through: Accessories > Clothing

IMHO, because weather conditions vary significantly from trip to trip, flexibility is the key to comfort during a break. In addition to a cover up and an insulating seat cushion, I always have a dry bag with the following layering options:

**Fleece (depending on weather, heavy or medium)

**A warm, windproof hat

**Gloves

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

I have an over-sized nylon windbreaker that I can put on over drysuit, PFD, and all. I usually leave my PFD on, a good 2 inches of insulation around my core. An insulating pad or Crazy Creek chair helps to prevent heat loss from sitting on the ground. And I usually have a second pair of gloves (if I'm wearing neoprene) to put on after lunch.