2007 Paddling Suggestions/Interest?

EEL

More to be provide a starting point for a discussion about 2007 trips than to say I will post them later, is there any interest in the club in the following types of trips?

1. Upper Casco Bay day trip starting at Cousins or Harpswell and spending a day and around 10-15 NM going out to Jewell, Bangs, Eagle, etc.

2. Weekend trip with camping on shore with day trips out to Muscle Ridge and near areas. Again 10-15NM with crossings of around two miles.

3. Out to Sequin Island Light. From 6 to 12NM depending upon starting location and a crossing of around 2-3 NMs.

4. Weekend camping trip to Muscongus Bay area.

5. Day trip to Damariscove Island.

6. Day trip from Portland out to Ram Ledge, outside of Peaks, around Long island and back by way of cow Island.

Purpose here is to gauge interest in trips that are not primarily for surf/rock/play, but to spend an full day on the water visiting nice places and seeing interesting stuff while still being a bit of adventure. So that might include hikes on islands and relaxed lunches to just soak up being there. Basically, having small journeys in small boats.

My thought is these trips would be best for those being able to select suitable trips for their ability/interest by reviewing charts and weather reports, to average 3Kts on the water for the day while handling a fair range of conditions, be able to keep track of where you are and how to get back, have decent skills to help others and self should the need arise, and have the ability to make a solid judgment to launch or not on the day of the trip.

Ed Lawson

Ed, even though I'm not paddling in the colder weather, kayaking is always on my brain. I've got a Jewell Ialnd multi-day camping trip in my head for early May that will include your suggestions 1 and 6. I'm always open to this type of option (ovenight, camping), rather than day trips, because of the amount of driving this involves getting to the put-ins. Having said that, I'm happy to do back-to-back day trips in separate locations along coastal ME, if I can arrange car-camping on the mainland, between destinations. After reading again Kate's travelogue from her Stonington adventure, that's another destination I'd like to explore in the off-season, perhaps September, to include island camping. I'm looking forward to your private trip postings for '07.

Gary

Hi Gary:

> I've got a Jewell Ialnd

>multi-day camping trip in my head for early May that will

>include your suggestions 1 and 6.

Want to add going out to Half Way rock? I look forward to your posting of the trip.

> I'm always open to this

>type of option (ovenight, camping), rather than day trips,

>because of the amount of driving this involves getting to

>the put-ins.

It is an issue unfortunately. Maybe someone will pick up the post about a cottage on Harpswell and set up a week of paddling.

>Having said that, I'm happy to do back-to-back

>day trips in separate locations along coastal ME,

Can do in the Muscle ridge area.

>After reading again Kate's travelogue from her Stonington

>adventure, that's another destination I'd like to explore in

>the off-season, perhaps September,

Here is a thought. Stonington on the weekend of June 23-25 for camping/circumnavigation of Isle A Haut or maybe out to Marshall and Swain's, then Great Waas around Sept. 12-16 for Cape Split to Halifax/Brothers. That is out tentative calendar.

Ed Lawson

Ed, you can count me in on all of the above . . . I love rocks and surf but I also love the thought of a meandering kayaking day(s) involving all of the above . . . happy to help you plan some of this when we get closer to warmer weather . . .

Ed--all of your suggestions are good---particularly like the one about Stonington with a circumnavigation of Isle au Haut--attempted it last summer and turned back due to winds and waves---at the risk of being a traitor to my state by letting a bunch of people from away in on one of the best sea kayaking spots in Maine--you might want to consider Moosehead Lake---35--40miles long and anywhere from 2 to 20 miles (depending on how its measured) wide--ok the average width is between 6 and 8 miles---Approximatly 35 Maine forest service camp sites with firerings(yes you can have a campfire) and outhouses---no crap wrap ect and they are all free---for a more detailed description see my article in the May issue of the Atlantic Coastal Kayaker. For those of you who think that paddling Moosehead wouldn't be exciting enough I've paddled it often and it matches either Casco or Penobscot Bay in terms of wind and wave height. In fact there are times when the lake is virtually unpaddleable due to wind conditions---6'--9'waves. And an added bonus is that it has fewer boats and or people than either Casco, Penobscot, Frenchmens or Bluehill bays Unlike those places, Moosehead has much more of a wilderness feel to it. Just something to consider.

Jon, although I'm a native Mainer, I've never ventured to the Moosehead region, but would love such an adventure. It's all about the cordination of the necessary days off from whatever jobs keep us off the water!

Gary

>

>actually was thinking of a camping s&g in may..really want

>to do some of the Island Trail sites.

Want to wring out that Explorer doing what it was made for, eh?

Sounds like Gary has plans in the works for May in upper Casco Bay.

If the winter stays mild, maybe a trip to Bangs before closure on April 1 would be possible.

Might want to tentatively put down June 23-24 weekend down for Stonington as we expect to be up there then and I think Gary may as well. Its a great time as the crowds will not have arrived.

Ed Lawson

Mary,

Any interest in coming to Mount Desert Island again in July???

Dan

Once more upon the waters! yet once more!

And the waves bound beneath me as a steed

That knows his rider.

Lord Byron

Black flies???? In Maine---I don't believe it--say it ain't so--don't worry about it Liz, we can catch and kill a few then cook them for supper---and serously by the middle of July, in a typical year with no excessive rain, they are gone---besides which I find them no worse the the nightime mosquitoes along the coast.