The Graves Sunday 17 Sept - New Bat Time!

bob budd

Staypuff and I will be putting in at Deer Island. There is a parking lot on the east side of the isthmus in the shadow of the water treatment plant. Launch time 10:30AM. Perhaps another group would like to join us from Hull. Be advised, there is open water and the currently friendly forecast may not agree with NOAA. I'll be paddling my little blue boat so the pace will be of the mortal sort.

How's an 11:00 launch?

http://www.nspn.org/play-put-ins.html

Winthrop

Explore Belle Island Marsh - the OLDEST existing marshland in the United States. It is fun to paddle around the airport - water quality not great - don't want to spill - around Deer Island treatment plant and then up along the coast past north end of Winthrop, Revere beach (the oldest public beach in US) to Nahant and around then around Nahant. Take Route 1A north from Logan Airport about 1.5 miles to Route 145 (just south of Suffolk Downs). Turn right on Route 145 to Pleasant Street. Right on Pleasant (still following signs for 145). At intersection of Shirley Street and Route 145, turn right and follow Shirley Street 0.4 mile to the Winthrop Harbor Boat Ramp on the right. Free parking.

If that's the place, then the route from the North or West is to go down 93 to Rt 16, take that to 145, and then follow 145 straight down to the peninsula.

I thought, however, that there was a put-in farther down the peninsula, on the east side, which gives you more direct access to the open harbor. Anybody know?

More maps here...

http://djlewis.smugmug.com/gallery/1895294

--David.

http://djlewis.smugmug.com/photos/95547016-L.jpg

The "float plan" is to end up at the Graves at some point in the trip. From Deer Island there are a couple of red-green buoy pairs to cross the channels pointing you more or less to Calf Island. From there you make the final decision regarding the crossing to the lighthouse, returning perhaps to Outer Brewster. At Outer Brewster you look at your watch, assess your ambitions against the time of day, and perhaps slip behind the islands towards Shag Rocks and Boston Light. Depending on tidal conditions and further ambitions you end up somewhere on the west side of the Brewster, etc. islands and return to the put-in. Each decision is made under chaotacratic parliamentary procedure.

I'd rate it level 3+. The conditions will be mild, the distance well within range. Actually, the conditions will be more like level 2, except maybe at the outer end of the harbor. The + is for not being near shore.

IOW, this trip is not that big a deal level-wise, except for being way the heck out there. But that's the attraction, right?

Hope ya come, Al!

Disclaimer -- sorry -- just because I personally rate and/or promote an SnG does not relieve anyone of responsibility for their own safety and decsions.

--David.

Ernie, Al, et al,

Attendance is a personal decision. I've been in the Outer Harbour when there wasn't a wave in sight and I've been there when the boats were within speaking distance and the swell frequently hid us from each other's view (Roger still has nightmares-his first outing in the Greenlander). You need to read the forecast, look at a chart or similar picture, etc. There will be at least three strong paddlers. There will be a point where you and the rest of us will decide if its too big beyond the Brewsters, i.e. some may elect to wait for others to return from the crossing. We won't abandon you if you decide to join us and get into trouble. Again, it's a personal decision.

Based upon the strict definition of the levels this is a Level 4 paddle.

>Ernie, Al, et al,

>

>Attendance is a personal decision. I've been in the Outer

>Harbour when there wasn't a wave in sight and I've been

>there when the boats were within speaking distance and the

>swell frequently hid us from each other's view

Just as a matter of information, the marine forecast for Sunday is

> Boston Harbor-

> Tonight -- NE winds around 5 kt...becoming NW late. Waves 1 foot or less.

> Sun -- N winds around 5 kt...becoming se late. Waves 1 foot or less.

At the harbor entrance (= The Graves) it's not always so simple. But if it's going to be worse there, the marine forecast usually says so. The offshore forecast is

> Coastal Waters From Merrimack River Ma Out 25 Nm To Plymouth Ma

> Sun -- NE winds around 5 kt...becoming se late. Seas 1 to 3 ft.

And that's typically the worst the harbor entrance could be. But what direction is that swell coming from? According to the surf prediction site WetSand (http://tinyurl.com/ffrmu and click SUN 17) it's from the E or ESE. That means it could affect the outer harbor some, as the swell shadow of the Cape will not be a 100% factor.

But as Bob sez, it's up to you -- SnG disclaimer and all that.

--David.

Few questions from one unfamiliar with S&G protocols: What is Bat? If that were synonymous with launch time, then arrival at the put in would perhaps be 1/2 hour earlier?

Using Google Map I cannot find a mattress and box spring on the beach or a gate to Deer Island. If this is the best satellite picture we have no wonder we can't find Osama. Well I'll just have to trust Bob's directions.

Some may have expressed reservations about the difficulty of this trip. Perhaps I can join you guys, bail at the Brewster’s (if I need to) and the others so inclined can keep me company, swearing they only did so to avoid abandoning a tired paddler. Those who know me well will soon realize I have no pride and hence cannot be challenged and no shame and therefore cannot feel remorse.

If I’m feeling fit in the morning I will join this merry band.

>Few questions from one unfamiliar with S&G protocols: What

>is Bat?

"Bat Time" is indeed a "technical term", but not in the realm of kayaking. See http://tinyurl.com/mfrlz

>If that were synonymous with launch time, then

>arrival at the put in would perhaps be 1/2 hour earlier?

You got it -- ready to shove off at 10:30.

>If I’m feeling fit in the morning I will join this merry band.

You are most welcome... bring your own meade!

--David.

>Few questions from one unfamiliar with S&G protocols: What

>is Bat? If that were synonymous with launch time, then

>arrival at the put in would perhaps be 1/2 hour earlier?

>Using Google Map I cannot find a mattress and box spring on

>the beach or a gate to Deer Island. If this is the best

>satellite picture we have no wonder we can't find Osama.

>Well I'll just have to trust Bob's directions.

>

>Some may have expressed reservations about the difficulty of

>this trip. Perhaps I can join you guys, bail at the

>Brewster’s (if I need to) and the others so inclined can

>keep me company, swearing they only did so to avoid

>abandoning a tired paddler. Those who know me well will soon

>realize I have no pride and hence cannot be challenged and

>no shame and therefore cannot feel remorse.

>

>If I’m feeling fit in the morning I will join this merry

>band.

Quite entertaining. If you grew up without Batman you are better for it.