hey bubba...howbout dem waves?

Guest guest

congrats to peter kalanzis and deb dempsey for enduring and whupping a "surprise" set of major waves on saturday !

well done you showoffs !

I'll say they were big!

One of our seasoned leaders conservatively declared the wave height to be more than the length of a boat. It's not very often that you witness a group of boats COMPLETELY out of the water. From my position it looked like someone had tossed a bunch of carrots (boats) into the air.

It was a superb aerial performance.

To my astonishment ......no yard sale.

Just an adventurous group having a good time.

And, kudos to paddler #8 who did a smooth, graceful, unintentional seal landing on the flight deck of paddler #13.

****Verbal exchange: "I'm sorry....do I know you?"

No Names . ;-)

Although handling the "big stuff" was relatively straight forward, mastering the fine points of manouvering is another story.

Many thanks to Scott, Rick C., Ken, Adam, John, Brian, Linda, Rick S and Paul for patiently coaching us throughout the day.

Please, please............we need more!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

There are plenty of waves in the sea. We'll find more.

Besides, the "Rubber Ducky Award" recipient hasn't been determined yet. Peter K leads the competition with his major whacking by a 10'+ dumper, but the rest of you will get your shot at it before it becomes official.

BTW, anyone who wants to bring still or video cameras on future rough water fiasc....er...I mean workshop, is encouraged to do so. It would be nice to capture some of these "Kodak moments" for posterity. Just make sure your equipment is waterproof and that it floats! ;-)

Well don't forget Paul's "big air" end over on the second wave. I have that image still clear in my mind, it was a pretty intimidating sight my friends. Paul, what was it like from your seat? It was one of the most impressive stunts I've seen a sea kayak do. I'm glad no body got bruised. Beware of "Bemo Ledge"

Seeing Paul being lifted up, pitched A over T and then... well I don't know what happened after that, there was dumping surf in the way, but it's easy to extrapolate.

After a roll up, Paul performed the rescue on an unfortunate. Sterling work that man!

Binks

Nothing to it. Not a problem man, just hanging loose with my buds. Should have rolled and spared you all the show. Rick S. and I had a few hours of similar stuff when Fabian came through.

Dick Beal and I got into a similar dumping mess at Popham my first year paddling. Should have learned.........

Well, being the resident bubba, I guess I should say something. First thanks Brian, Rick, and Paul for pulling me out, and thanks to all the leaders for making it possible. Special thanks to the others who took care of me, you know who you are!

Second, sorry about your boat Rick! Third, I had a great time, and got some experience surfing both sideways and lengthwise. I did my second stint of rock gardening even if it was short. I should have made a bit more of the opportunity to practice non-surf rough water skills but...

I am still tryin' to figure out what happened on that big wave. I know it involved getting vertical then surfing a bit (still not sure about the orientation) and being upside down. No great accomplishment there, but good experience.

A note. Getting supremely trashed by two waves and coming out of my boat twice left me barely able to paddle at 3 knots. I'm not sure whether it was the force of the waves, the aftereffects of adrenalin, the cold, or the combination of all three. It felt like I was padding through molasses. So take care of your buddies, carry extra food accessible on the water, and beware of bemo ledge and the rocks northeast of it!

Let me add, Please don't get downwave of Peter K. He is heavy, somewhat inexperienced, and his Romany Explorer was not made by NDK.

>I am still tryin' to figure out what happened on that big

>wave. I know it involved getting vertical then surfing a

>bit (still not sure about the orientation) and being upside

>down. No great accomplishment there, but good experience.

I had been watching the swells at that spot for a while as every five minutes or so a couple of wide swells would turn into huge waves and break at the submerged rock. So, when folks started heading to that area I decided to stay over to the side a bit to see exactly what Paul had in mind to demonstrate. Sure enough, after being really flat with no action for a few minutes a couple of BIG flat-looking swells rolled in to do their thing. Peter: you had no other options I could see, being where you were at that moment. The water dropped out from under you to stand up, then the wave basically stood your boat on end, back surfed a bit, and rolled it over. I don't thing it flipped you endo.

>A note. Getting supremely trashed by two waves and coming

>out of my boat twice left me barely able to paddle at 3

>knots. I'm not sure whether it was the force of the waves,

>the aftereffects of adrenalin, the cold, or the combination

>of all three. It felt like I was padding through molasses.

Understandable. Just because a "rescue" is over, doesn't mean it is over. Particularly when cold water is involved, I think it best to assume that things will continue to deteriorate and proceed with an additional measure of caution.

Liz N.

>A note. Getting supremely trashed by two waves and coming

>out of my boat twice left me barely able to paddle at 3

>knots. I'm not sure whether it was the force of the waves,

>the aftereffects of adrenalin, the cold, or the combination

>of all three. It felt like I was padding through molasses.

>So take care of your buddies, carry extra food accessible on

>the water, and beware of bemo ledge and the rocks northeast

>of it!

The adrenalin causes you to burn the glucose in your blood

stream at a greatly accelerated rate. After the adrenalin

passes you have low blood sugar until you convert some food

or fat into sugar again (bonk). If you haven't eaten for a

while the only reserve you have is fat which is very slow to

convert. Some goo or a fruit leather would have made you

feel much better.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smoky Ivory