Saturday Afternoon (7/22) L2/L2+ SNG Marblehead/Salem Details added

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

On Sat, I can only paddle in the afternoon due to the Swim Fest scheduled for the morning. I'm willing to hold a SNG as described for those people who feel they are new to paddling and would like a chance to get on the ocean for a short paddle. The basic plan would be to put in at the Dolliber Cove public ramp in Marblehead and then head into Salem Harbor, landing at the Friendship for ice cream at Captain Dusty's (about two blocks away from the landing spot). We would then retrace our steps. If anyone is interested or has questions, please post here. I know some people have posted looking for a chance to go on a L2 trip so here's your opportunity!

I've been told that we can put in at Riverhead in Marblehead without being charged, so we'll try there first, with a backup of Dolliber Cove. Put in at 2pm with the basic plan unchanged. Paddle through Marblehead Harbor over into Salem Harbor, landing at the Friendship as planned. Low tide for Marblehead will be 3:40pm, so that will work out fine. Again, I'm arranging this SNG for those who have expressed interest in a L2/L2+ SNG, so let's get out there on the water!

Typical SNG rules apply (responsible for yourself, etc, etc.)

>I've been told that we can put in at Riverhead in Marblehead

>without being charged, so we'll try there first, with a

>backup of Dolliber Cove.

Kevin.

You can always launch from Riverhead for free. Sometimes (two weeks ago), the parking attendent does not know that boaters park for free. Two weeks ago, after we reminded her, she chearfully refunded the parking fee to the early birds who had paid. Kayaker should park on the Riverhead side (left side as you arrive) and not the beach side (right side of road).

By the way, I have never launched at Dolliber, but I have been told that there is not enough water anywhere near low tide. Perhaps someone else can fill us in on when you can launch at Dolliber.

Have a great trip.

Al Coons

Eddyline Knighthawk

Red/White

>Al,

>

>Come to think of it, you might be right. I launched there

>on Sunday it might be a bit messy at high tide. Does anyone

>know the specifics?

If you mean Riverhead, you can lauch there with no problem at anytime. At low tide you can even drive down the ramp and on the beach to near the water.

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

Dolliber Cove has limited, read on the side of the road, parking. I'm not sure how they view kayakers in season. Jeff Casey and I launched there this spring and after we had parked one automobile with trailer and another automobile the parking seemed a bit strained. I don't have a good chart for the beach there so can only speculate what its like at low tide.

Riverhead Beach is much longer at low tide, you can drive down the ramp but would be a ways out on the sand at low tide. I do recall someone driving out on the sand at the solstice paddle but I'd exercise your judgement.

I did launch from Dolliber on Sunday, and yes parking is an issue. Most of it exists on the side of the road. As for their view of kayakers, I'd say they were amiable. I received alot of the standard inquiries in re kayaks as I was getting ready to jump on the water. I also got at least one "you're going out in that?" statement :) All in all they were friendly enough. The low tide issues remains though...

Yes, Dolliber Cove has very limited parking, and is not accesible at low tide, however, you can put at the beach around the corner. The "problem" with that it that it is usually very crowded with swimmers. I don't think there are any rules against putting in there, but we should be concerned with our "appearance" in the community. If there are one or two paddlers, I would say that is OK, but for a S&G with a sizeable group, it would be best to put in at Riverhead. Parking is FREE if you are launching a boat at Riverhead, it is a public right of way. Don't let the parking attendants talk you into paying. Oh yeah, as stated, the beach is pretty firm for driving down at low tide. I have driven on it many times without incident, but I do have 4wd in case.

Thanks for the cancellation notice. Things weren't too bad at Riverhead beach, a couple of people were kayaking, but with the changing fog conditions, I probably would not have launched.

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim