Winter Paddling Poll

markstephens

I'm posting this here so as not to get entangled in all the pool session "sticky" posts on the main thread, but here is the question:

Who plans to paddle on the ocean this winter - say between January 2 and March 31?

My sense is that winter paddling was quite the fad a couple of years back, but some really cold winters recently have dampened the enthusiasm quite a bit. Maybe folks are going out regularly and not posting show and go's or trip reports, I don't know, thus the query.

I personally haven't had my sea kayak out since the first week of November, but I will be out this winter.

Post here if you are interested in winter paddling.

Thanks,

Mark

I have paddled in every month of the year, preferring the winter to the summer. We would have been out this past weekend had we not felt compelled to get things done at our "second home". As you know, I was out the previous weekend. I am game for a relatively sunny day in the 30s with moderate wind and would consider less friendly circumstances though I start to have problems keeping my hands warm. If Rick Crangle is wearing a hat, its probably too cold.

Awhile back the cold froze over the harbours, this would make it unsafe as I don't want to carry a boat (partway - splash!) across the ice.

I paddle whenever work & family let me get away, regardless of the season...lately this hasn't been too often, but that has nothing to do with the season. Cold, rain, and dark don't discourage me, but wind does. If the harbors are frozen over, there are usually alternate places to get access to the water. Go for it.

I'm INSANE, count me in. It's almost cold enough for me to switch from my wet to drysuit.

So long as wind and waves are within comfort zone and temps are around 30, I will be out on the ocean. It has been a rare weekend when Gail and I have not been out. I suspect if you post S&G trips folks will answer.

Ed Lawson

We had a few yearsj ('99-'02) with relatively mild winters and got spoiled. There was a lot of paddling going on back then, but it's tapered off the past couple of years due to colder temps and more snow. I plan to be out whenever the conditions are reasonable (above freezing, moderate wind).

I am ready for some winter paddling, with roughly the same preconditions as for others who have responded to this post (not too cold or windy etc).

My favorite outings are Plum Island area from Pavilion Beach and Portsmouth area/Gerrish island from Pepperrell Cove.

Ice (lack thereof) permitting, I would enjoy a York or Salmon River outing, preferably catching the flooding tide up and the ebbing tide back.

Last weekend it appeared the Salmon was frozen over. At least the part you see driving from Kittery to Dover. Lots of ice after the tunnel going up Chauncey Creek as well. Does anyone know how easy or not it is to launch at Rye Harbor during the winter? Seems like a nice place to start for a paddle along the coast.

Ed Lawson

Count me in as well. Just need some paddling partners. Wanted to join the Portsmouth trip last weekend but it was too far, considering I still had to squeeze in some Christmas shopping. Was going to do the Charles in Medfield as a back-up plan but the water was too hard. :)

Would like to go out at least once a month.

Gary B.

As long as the conditions are safe, I'll paddle (and do).

I also continue to bicycle commute from Newton into Cambridge, and have a nasty bruise on my knee to prove it (slipped on ice).

My philosphy is that it's necessary to get outside as much as possible, all year round - it keeps a person happy.

Main caveats- avoid conditions where ice forms, either in the water or on the surface of the boat, and I get a lot more cautious about conditions - even with a drysuit and a tight fitting hood, I worry about immersion shock. Someone once suggested plastering silicon grease on your face - now if I could only find silicon grease - I'm thinking about trying Crisco instead.

I like Leisure Pro, very prompt shipping and usually cheaper prices ( http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSG125.html )

I'm doing some limitd cold water paddling this season. To avoid ice cream headaches and cold shock I wear a diver's ice cap, they look a bit funny but work well (and much less messy than grease). See: http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_2...NDERSON-ICE-CAP

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim

>even with a drysuit and a

>tight fitting hood, I worry about immersion shock. Someone

>once suggested plastering silicon grease on your face - now

>if I could only find silicon grease - I'm thinking about

>trying Crisco instead.

I thought -- not that much personal experience -- that a good snug hood which lets in only a trickle around the temples would prevent the gasp reflex. It's the gasp reflex aspect of cold shock that is the problem remaining even in a dry suit, and cold water on the temples is what causes it, or so I've heard.

I've also assumed that face grease is mainly for the surfing crowd that is sure to get immersed and doused and wants to keep their face from freezing and stinging. If you're just paddling upright and worried about the unexpected capsize, grease is ovekill.

But while we're on the subject, may I ask the surfer dudettes and dudes how they keep the face grease from becoming hand, body and gear grease too -- in other words, a total greasy mess?

--David

John,

I've got a pair of Nokian carbide-studded tires (Extreme 296) on my mountain bike and they provide amazing traction. I was out riding on Xmas eve and the people who were out walking kept stopping me to ask how I was managing to get around on the slippery trails. I've tested them on glare ice on parking lots and they allow for a surprising level of accelleration, braking and cornering. Nokian also makes 700c studded tires for road bikes. They're heavy and expensive, but cheaper than a trip to the emergency room. I highly recommend them.

BTW, there are cheaper studded tires available, but they have steel studs that dull and wear quickly when ridden on pavement. Nokian's carbide studs stay sharp, regardless of where you ride them.

What is it made of? It looks like latex.

OS Systems makes a latex hood that covers the neck as well and can be glued to a dry suit in lieu of a neck seal. It's a bit spooky looking, as it doesn't come with any cutouts for nose or mouth; you have to make them yourself, presumably after you put it on, but before you suffocate. ;-)

http://ossystems.com/repair/dls-8.gif

>I thought -- not that much personal experience -- that a

>good snug hood which lets in only a trickle around the

>temples would prevent the gasp reflex. It's the gasp reflex

>aspect of cold shock that is the problem remaining even in a

>dry suit, and cold water on the temples is what causes it,

>or so I've heard.

Actually, neck or chest exposure to cold water can also trigger gasp reflex. I hadn't heard about the temples being an issue, but I'll take your word for it.

While gasp reflex is the most critical problem, "ice cream headaches" can still occur from repeated immersion, even when you're properly protected from gasp reflex. We saw that at the recent cold water workshop. AFAIK, nobody gasped, but everyone moaned about ice cream headaches after holding their faces underwater for as long as possible.

Ice cap is bare neoprene (2 mm I think). Mine is smooth skin on the outside and open cell inside. Keep some black neoprene glue handy, it tears once in awhile.

I think I've only seen one diver using the latex hood, probably more popular with commercial divers. I've never been interested in one because they are reported to be incompatible with beards. Viking manufactures this type of stuff http://www.trelleborg.com/protective/templ...p?id=563〈=2

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim