S&G - Level 3 - Sat 9/3 - North Shore - SEE DETAILS ABOVE

alcoons

There is plenty of interest and a good weather report for a level 3 S&G this Saturday on the North Shore.

Low Tide = 5:45 AM, High Tide = noon.

Marblehead, Salem Sound, with lunch at Misery will work with a launch at 10 AM. I did that route again last weekend and continue to enjoy it, but would also enjoy something different.

Have done Lane's Cove to Rockport and associated islands (not that exciting to me) and Lane's Cove up the Annisquam...fun, lots of boat traffic. Have not done Lane's Cover and go past the Annisquam to explore further towards the NW - anyone know that area? Portsmouth? Anywhere!

So. What is your pleasure? Let's assume we have a trip for sure. Where have you been and where would you like to go? Please post here or email at alcoonsmail at verizon.net

Al

At this point I'm not sure I'll be paddling on Saturday, etc.

If you're out of Lane's Cove I'd recommend heading toward Halibut Point, I find the river bland. We saw a sailboat race on Sunday, something to consider traffic-wise as well as sightseeing-wise. Parking didn't seem a big deal for seven paddlers that day. And there's ice cream at the Willowrest!

Have you considered a circumnavigation of Castle Neck? With a noon high tide you could probably launch from Pavilion Beach (Ipswich) at 10AM or so and get across Fox Creek. I used to think you really needed to hit high tide to cross the creek but have been told since that it is passable a good bit either side of high tide.

A popular trip in Portsmouth is Garrish Island. On the land side you go through some marshes. On the ocean side there are some rocky shoals. I don't recall the name of the put-in nor any of the tidal gotchas.

>Regards Portsmouth, you can launch from Pierce Island and

>then head up to Gerrish Island.

While farther if coming from the south and there is a $10 fee, the Kittery park at Fort Point on Gerrish is a great launching site (there is a beach dedicated for kayaks and wind surfing)and a nice place to go for easing yourself onto more lumpy water.

Ed Lawson

Pavillion Beach along the outside of Cranes, accross the Essex, to the Anisquam. There is a beach where there is a good lunch spot. Then back to the inside of Cranes to Fox Creek (I've done the creek one hour either side of low tide), and back to Pavillion. (approx 14 mi). Esturary is nice this time of year. I'm game for anything else as well.

Peirce Island has a $5 launch/parking fee but it is a good launch site. If boat traffic is heavy ofr the tide is still in bound then going out Little Harbor and around New Castle might be a bit easier.

Also the town launch in Kittery is a good (free)launch. A little tricky to find. It's at Traip Academy on Williams Ave. Follow Rt 103 thru town, the road then turns right at a gas station and Traip is the first right after this turn. Granite marker on 103.