Garmin - Great Service

Guest guest

Guest guest

I sent my GPS II Plus in for repair two weeks ago - the internal battery needed to ne replaced. It should last for 5 to 7 years but apparantly it was defective. Not only did Garmin fix the unit free of charge - they actually shipped me a brand new unit as a replacement! Just wanted to pass along a story of good customer relations.

FYI - I used my new eTrex Vista yesterday - worked fine - but next time I will use alakline batteries instead of nicads!

Guest guest

You may want to try NiMH batteries... rechargeable and last quite a bit longer than the nicads. These work pretty well in my GPS, digital cam, etc. YMMV of course ;-)

Guest guest

Hey Carl

Actuallly did use NiMH batteries - 1800 mAh. See that there are now 2200 mAh batteries on the market so may have to pic up a few of those to try.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-4aa220.htm

>You may want to try NiMH batteries... rechargeable and last

>quite a bit longer than the nicads. These work pretty well

>in my GPS, digital cam, etc. YMMV of course ;-)

Guest guest

Hi Bob,

Hmmm, I guess I've never put a FULL day on the GPS with the NiMH batteries. Now I'm going to test it to see how many hours I can actually get... would be a good thing to know. I usually carry a set of alkies anyway just in case.

Carl

Guest guest

On my GPS II I can get 2 full dys of palling without changing batteries - the new units get a lot less time :< Only problem with changing batteries is loosing your track info if you can't save it, and your software will allow you too upload more than 1 track.

>Hi Bob,

>

>Hmmm, I guess I've never put a FULL day on the GPS with the

>NiMH batteries. Now I'm going to test it to see how many

>hours I can actually get... would be a good thing to know.

>I usually carry a set of alkies anyway just in case.

>

>Carl

Guest guest

Bob:

With all the bells and whistles, the Vista can go through even alkaline batteries at a rapid clip. If it is still a problem, try turning off some features you don't really need. A major battery drain is the electronic compass. There are other battery saving settings as well. There is a menu or screen which shows most of them, so it is relatively easy to manage power consumption.

Good luck.

Scott