VHF Channel 72 at Gloucester Light

eneumeier

Interesting discovery.

Last evening Dee and I, accompanied by Rick C., paddled from Rockport to Gloucester harbor, a trial run of the diciest part of the Blackburn course. We were to meet up with Alex and Andrew who were paddling in Gloucester harbor via VHF calls on channel 72, which I was monitoring.

Alex and I had a couple of radio exchanges along the way - no problem.

After passing Braces Cove, and about 1/2 way from there to the Gloucester lighthouse, my radio started receiving a constant barrage of chatter, with so much static that I could only catch an occasional word. I paddled out a bit farther, thinking the transmission might become more clear if I were away from the granite. It did. The broadcast was the weather report. So I deduced, incorrectly, that my radio had somehow switched to the weather channel. (I did not have the channel lock on.)

Since I was to contact Alex next when we reached the lighthouse I had Dee raft up with me so I could check my radio. It was on 72. At her suggestion I turned down the squelch which helped some. Rick C. figured out that I was receiving the weather broadcast from the new high power tower at the lighthouse. My next call to Alex was "Alex, Alex, Alex, switch to 7 - 1 over." Her reply "switching to 7 - 1" and we finished our conversation there.

So, if you are in that area and your radio goes berserk on you - now you know why!

AND: Can age and treachery really triumph over youth and skill?

Stay tuned for July 10 to see if Liz, who knows how to pace herself over the long distance, can finish ahead of the better-conditioned and faster (as of last night over 1/2 the distance anyway) Dee. :-))

Liz N.

>AND: Can age and treachery really triumph over youth and

>skill?

>

>Stay tuned for July 10 to see if Liz, who knows how to pace

>herself over the long distance, can finish ahead of the

>better-conditioned and faster (as of last night over 1/2 the

>distance anyway) Dee. :-))

>

Do I hear the distinct sound of a paddling glove being thrown to the deck of the Viviane? ;-)