Reflective Tape Usage or Endorsement?

ExGMan

I think that a while back someone posted information about reflective tape...not SOLAS, but more a brilliant orange color mostly intended for application to paddle blades. I did a search but couldn't find the information. If anyone has experience with a brilliant orange tape which seems to withstand the paddle-blade usage, I'd sure like to know where to get it. Thanks - JG

There is a reflective tape, not orange, that works very well. You can get at NESC. G and I have had on our paddle blades for over a year now and even after all the rock hits that it has taken, especially on my blades, it's still intact and working fine.

This is the stuff...

http://www.gemplers.com/safety/labels/G96120.html

I've had it on paddles for around 5 years now and it has stayed on with no problem at all and still seems just as bright as when first applied. And, it works. A lobsterman actually stopped near me a few years ago on Muscongus Bay and said he saw the paddle blades from almost a mile away and wished all kayakers were as visible. Then, just a couple of weeks ago, ran into a couple of folks who were sailing in the fog off Stonington as were we. Their comment was that they could "kind of see something in the fog" but the first thing they saw were the orange paddle blades moving.

BTW, I still have quite a bit of the stuff and you're welcome to a couple of strips should we find ourselves paddling together sometime.

Kevin & Carl - Thanks for the information. Once I saw the name "Gempler's" I recalled the product. I think I'll buy a roll or two, as I have friends who now have carbon paddles which need some brightening. JG