new schwag

Guest guest

Guest guest

this is going to sound like an ad - "order now, get an extra ginsu for free!" but it isn't. just passing forward my own thoughts/experiences of this weekend. so you've been warned up front, right?

bought a seal suit jacket/cag this weekend that i love! it goes on OVER all your other gear and then can be attached to go around the cockpit coaming. heavy duty material, water proof (for rain, not immersion, there are no neck/wrist gaskets) and is very warm and toasty. there is a big pocket on front lined with fleece and you can stil access your pfd through it.

one of the things i really like about this is that if you are leading a group and need to throw something on / over a cold or hypothermic paddler this is ideal - not seen better. it just goes on over everything and it is quite warm.

while the one i bought is an NDK design, i believe that kokatat probably makes a similar product althouth i think that their's is much more expensive. the NDK retails for about $145 up at mikco. think that nesc carries them as well.

anyways, the point is that where the weather is starting to warm up (welcome to summer) the temptation is to dress for the air temerature and not the water temperature and so naturally people will ignore the rule where it's the other way around. this kind of product is ideal for someone who is dressed lightly, was just immersed and needs to warm up on the water quickly. put it on over all the other gear they have on, paddle a bit and voila, one warm paddler, very quickly. it's also great on shore to keep the wind off you. that's when i tend to get a little chilly...standing around on shore, not exerting myself and then the wind is breezey i get chilled. it takes more effort to get warm than to stay warm so just nip it in the bud up front if you can....if you are wearing it and just sit down and put the hood up...yeah, you have your own little tent all warm and pleasant and you can eat in warm peace.

anyways, all of us and new / old trip leaders especially - think about what you would do to warm up on the water quickly or how you'd warm up someone else quickly and you see the benefit of the idea.

stay warm - see you on the water. and i will too...shoulder feels great and while my boat isn't in yet (apparently hand made veeeerrrryyy slowly) i have a loaner!

Rick,

A number of NSPNers purchased these cags this past season. They rave about them and I see them frequently during breaks and at the take-outs. They started showing up just after I made my own out of a metalized, non-breathable material so I haven't tried one.

I do want to add something I learned after the rough water workshop. If you keep the cag very accessible (which for me means NOT in the back hatch under my spare paddle), then you are more likely to throw it on during a quick, but cold, break. Futzing with stiff hatch covers with cold, gloved hands can make one hesitant to take it out for what seems like a short break. This will be the one downside to fixing my warped front hatch ring.

-Dee

Rick,

You are on-the money!!!!!!

Excellent review of a sensational product.

I'll second your endorsement.

It is one of the most versatile piece of equipment I've seen!!

I call it the "Leatherman" of cover ups.

Seal Suit is not only an important safety item that sits in your boat on standby, it is also a very practicle and versatile cover-up to be used on land or while paddling. It's a must have!

For $145.00.....it's cheep (price).

Bomb Proof construction and well thought out design.

One size fits all (cockpits and people)

I keep one in my boat at all times.

BTW.... I think the manufacturer is Rasdex and distributed in North America by GRO.

So........Where's the boat?

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

Last year when I was camping in November and didn't bring a warm enough sleeping bag, I slipped the whole Ras Dex over the outside of the sleeping bag (with the hood at the feet) and slept nice and toasty all night long.

Rick neglected to mention that they are made out of some sort of breathable fabric - not brand name but it is breathable.

Suzanne

Guest guest

i don't own a needle and thread let alone try anything as ambitious as actually constructing one of these things! good for you!

as you know from experience, yeah, leave the emergency gear in the day hatch and leave what you will most likely need right on top. decreases the time you take to get it and use it and have that day hatch open.

anyways, these cags are a great idea and i like the product.

The day hatch is the most difficult to get open during cold weather. In fact, I think I am having difficulty, but then when someone who doesn't have VCP hatches of their own tries, I have to open it for them. I find the same difficulty with the Kajaksport hatches. Anybody find a clever solution?

-Dee

Guest guest

has been made and then NDK failed it on QC and i am awaiting a new one. they only put one or two custom per container though and so i continue to wait.

they did however send over a loaner boat in it's stead which i think very thoughtful of them. has the seat in it and a few of the other things are different, but the same wonderful hull!

so good new, right? qc is getting more stringent and they have a nod towards excellent customer service. maybe they are responding to the many things folks have said knocking some of their specs. they are wonderful boats made by some fine paddlers - paddlers rather than boat builders i suppose. nothing wrong with that - just a different focus. i should be such a paddler...cause i am certainly never going to be a boat builder!

in any event, i am happy; on the water in an explorer...

Guest guest

Third vote for regular 303 on both VCP and Kajaksport: works like a charm. Have to keep an eye on them, they like to hop in the water (ask Ciro).

Scott

303 definitely works... I use it on the day hatch rim and the interior of the cover but only the exteriors of the bow and stern hatch covers. While they're a bit tougher to remove without the 303 on the interior parts, I guess I see that as a good thing during reentries, rescues, etc.