pfd attachment of VHF radio

Hello,

I've finally decided that my life is (possibly) worth the $200 or so a vhf will cost me and I've got a few questions about mounting/using it on my pfd. The shoulder strap seems like the most popular and practical place to attach and hear it, but is using the "swivel" belt clip the way that it is commonly done? Also, is it possible to use the radio (to transmit) still attached to the pfd in this manner? And finally, do people use any secondary retaining devices such as a lanyard or wrist strap?

Now I just have to decide between the water-proofness of the m72 or the buoyancy and optional AA battery tray of the m34.......

Thanks,

Jon

Basically you zip tie the belt clip to the PFD, and then use a piece of bungie cord to keep the radio in place and from flipping over and out. Check out Brian's web shots album for more details.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/63141273BimkGp

Bill

Anas Acuta...White/White, Red Trim.

Avocet...Quill/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Yellow Poly

Mega Cyclone...lots of colors

>finally, do people use any secondary retaining devices such

>as a lanyard or wrist strap?

Jon, I use the included wrist strap as a secondary retaining device on my M88 by unscrewing the antenna and passing radio through the strap loop (which is around the pfd strap). My radio is kept from flopping with 2 homemade rubber bands; others use bungie.

Gary

> Also, is it possible to use the radio (to

>transmit) still attached to the pfd in this manner?

Suggest you do some tests to ascertain the volume/readability of the signal you are transmitting with radio in that location. May in turn suggest need to alter how you speak to mic, how you orient radio when mounted, or another location for radio.

Ed Lawson

Yes, use the additional lanyard.

Note that most VHF are no longer waterproof when using the optional AA batteries.

I rarely use mine ON my pfd nowadays. If I thought conditions might possibly require it's use, I would put it in my pocket on my pfd and tether it to the d ring inside.

Suz

Hi Jon,

Bob and I have our radios in heavy-duty "waterproof" cases. As we have limited space on our PFDs, which might change in Bob's case if he gets an Astral Whitewater PFD with the huge front pocket, they are kept under the front bungees, with the 'biner on the strap clipped to a bungee.

The only problem(s) with this are: Capsize. Rolling. However, I've done both with the radio clipped in place with no ill effects.

We have ICOMs. Since Bob's the electronic gear head in the household, he can tell you what we have and its benefits. All I know is it works and we've had no problems in the two years we've had the radios.

Deb M

>Yes, use the additional lanyard.

>

>Note that most VHF are no longer waterproof when using the

>optional AA batteries.

>

>I rarely use mine ON my pfd nowadays. If I thought

>conditions might possibly require it's use, I would put it

>in my pocket on my pfd and tether it to the d ring inside.

>

>Suz

Similar approach here.... I keep the VHF in a pocket in my PFD if:

I'm in conditions.

I'm making a crossing in an area with traffic.

In calm conditions it's in the day hatch. I'm sure some folks will scream that it should always be close at hand BUT... my experience with "waterproof" electronics (having disassembled several waterproof devices) tells me that the word "waterproof" can give one a false sense of security, especially in a corrosive environment. If you always have it on your PFD I'd suggest a radio check at the beginning of every trip. Deb and Bob probably have the most balanced approach WRT accessibility and protecting the device. I may have to adopt that myself.

Cheers, Joe

Yeah... waterproof. I think I have been through one Standard Horizon and three Icom M88 in 5 or 6 years.

In addition to buying the VHF, I HIGHLY recommend buying it at West Marine and buying their additional warranty. Without it, I would have paid for more than only the first Standard Horizon VHF during that time. I can't say enough about buying it somewhere that you can go in and complain to.

I have heard that they no longer do the on the spot replacements as I received but that you have to send it away for the warranty replacements.

Current one I have had a year now and it is still working. I rinse it after every trip and take the battery off and rinse both parts especially paying attention to the contacts. This is for a radio that 90% of the time sits in the day hatch.

Suz

I sewed crossed elastic bands on my shoulder strap that hold the VHF firmly in place. Theoretically, it could come off if thrashed hard enough, but it has been through many smashing waves, failed rolls, and rescue practices without a problem. I take the risk that waterproofing will fail - I figure that if it isn't handy, it is no better than broken anyhow. Zipped into a PFD pocket isn't handy, when you need it you are often paddling hard and/or bracing hard.

I'll post pictures if folks want.

FWIIW - I sent back my Standard Horizon for leaking issues when it was two years old and then again this spring. The first time it came back repaired. The last time I received, as a replacement, the HX471..never any charge and good turn around time. I wear it on my shoulder and also rinse it well after paddling.

maryb

Just a side note... when you rinse make sure you don't rinse under pressure (for example a shower head or the spray thing in the sink). The ideal is to fill a glass and dip it in that a few times. Second best is to rinse under the faucet, make sure the water flow isn't strong enough that it's getting aerated.

Cheers, Joe

I agree with Suz and others: for electronic gear in salt water, it's just a matter of time. My rinse technique is sloshing gently in clean water, blowing the water out of the speaker and letting it air dry.

One tip: regularly apply silicone grease to all rubber gaskets-like several times a season. Makes a better seal and preserves the rubber. Some manuals say to replace the gasket once a year; you decide.

You can get a small tube of silicone at photo specialty shops or online (though the shipping is often more than the product).

Scott

The reasons I carry my radio this way are simple:

1- It's out of the way, but immediately accessible.

2- When you actually NEED your radio, you often need it NOW! You may not have time to dig it out of a day hatch or fumble around getting it out of a pocket or un-clip it from your deck.

3- When you actually NEED your radio, you're likely to be in conditions where you can't use both hands to access it, operate it and/or stow it (rough water, strong winds, assisting another paddler, etc.). Shoulder mounting allows you to operate the radio immediately with one hand. There is no accessing or stowing involved.

It's easy to get complacent, since it's rare that a radio is really needed for emergencies, but as with many safety considerations, you have to maintain the mindset of "What if I DO need it?"

Additionally, if you're paddling in a group, a radio can be handy for general communication if/when people get spread out. It can also provide valuable weather data. It's not just for emergencies.

A good quality submersible radio will stand up to the exposure that it gets from shoulder mounting without problems. I've had good luck with the ICOM M88 and M1V, though there are undoubtedly other radios that are just as durable. Avoid the Standard Horizon HX460S, as it's proven to be inconsistent and unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry my ICOM M88 unbagged and mounted to the left pfd shoulder strap using the provided belt clip. I then tether it to the pfd using a minibiner for backup.

I followed Brian Nystrom's Webshot instructions for mounting the radio, with minor modifications. I have had no usage problems for the last three years.

If I was to to purchase a radio today I would probably go with the M72. It's about $60-75 less expensive than the M88, but has more broadcast power and according to specs a bit more battery life.

YMMV