What's best, cold or heat lamination?

Planning on getting a laminator, but what's best for the charts, etc. that we use? Cold lamination uses a pressure sensitive adhesive while hot lamination applies a heated adhesive. From what I read, heated lamination is not best for ink or other things that might run. Does that apply to our charts as well? Does anyone have any experience with either type? Thanks!

I have my stuff laminated at Staples and I believe they use the heated stuff. Haven't had any trouble (yet).

Heat laminating won't affect inkjet inks, but may cause laser printer toner to bleed very slightly. I've had heat laminated charts delaminate and allow water in, even after running them through multiple passes on the laminator. I don't know about the adhesive stuff, but I'd be tempted to try it.

The only cold adhesive laminating I've tried were some of the "do it yourself" laminating kits from Staples. In short, they sucked. Didn't last through a single paddle. Of course, with an actual laminating machine, I'm sure the results would be better. Hey Kevin, here's an idea... buy one of each and post a review of the results of each ;-)

I have charts and maps that are between 18-21 years old both cold and heat laminated.

The charts and maps have not bled if they were printed professionally. The cold laminated maps have not remained as supple as the heat treated ones.

The older charts that we cropped and printed with bubble jet turn to an unreadable water color painting if they get wet.

I still think Kevin should buy one of each and let us know.

Matt

I picked-up a heat laminator on Ebay for ~$50 it takes 11"x17" without an issue.

As for the process I found that you if set the head to ~275F and run it though in the carrier once it works well. It seems that if you put them though more than once the charts have issues. There might be a heat activated glue on the laminate covers or something.

-Jason