OT - Anyone have a set of spring compressors that I can borrow?

shewhorn

Need to replace my struts and reinstall the factory springs on my car. Does anyone have a set of spring compressors that I could borrow for about 2 days?

Cheers, Joe

[JOHNNY_CARSON]I did not know that![/JOHNNY_CARSON]

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Joe

I watched a wrench at Wakefield Subaru nearly lose an arm as the missile launched past his head when the compressor slipped a decade back. Unless you're expereinced with these be careful to use a fully-enclosed type to prevent severe injury.

I can get struts mounted for you IN THE CAR for only $75 each, if that's helpful.

See ya soon, Joe.

Ern

Yeah... you have to be super careful with 'em and make sure they're never pointing at you should something decide to go boing. I've done it a few times before. The WRX springs aren't too bad to do. The toughest part for me is that this time around I'm not going to have access to a lift. There was a garage where I used to live that specifically catered to people who liked to wrench... 20 bucks an hour and you got access to a full lift and a shop full of tools. Made life so much easier. I HATE jack stands with a major passion.

Cheers, Joe

...but it's quite safe as long as:

- You follow the instructions for the spring compressor you use.

- You utilize the safety features of it.

- You only compress the spring as much as is necessary to remove it.

- You don't drop the spring when it's in a compressed state.

Following the instructions and exercising reasonable caution will prevent accidents. Frankly, if I ever witnessed a "professional" mechanic "nearly lose an arm as the missile launched past his head when the compressor slipped", it would be the last time that person ever worked on my car.