REI DEMO DAY

hopefloats

This is a fun event! I'll help work the booth for horn pond...maybe even sunset lake too. I'll check to see if I can do both that weekend!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The day that I can definately work the booth is Sunday, June 10th. I'll be there!

We need safety boats, folks! Without them we really can't do this event and REI needs us!!!

Please don't let this event end up canceled! This is a great chance to show our skills in action and spread the word about our great club!

Newbies that don't feel comfortable being a safety boat yet, come work the booth for us! :) As always, the more the merrier!!!

6/9/2007 Paddle Demo Day - Braintree (South of Boston)

Time: 11:00AM - 3:00PM

http://www.rei.com/paddle

6/10/2007 Paddle Demo Day - Woburn (North of Boston)

Time: 11:00AM - 3:00PM

http://www.rei.com/paddle

We set up our booth along side REI's booths, kayak vendors and Thule representatives etc. along side the banks of these lakes. REI folks (& kayak vendors) fit visitors with pfds, boats and paddles to try out. People can come and try boat after boat. In the past, NSPN has provided volunteers to be "safety boats" out on the lake to help folks out if they should lose their paddle, need assistance out on the lake, etc. (reinforcing the importance of taking some skills classes with a club like us!) When they are tuckered out they have lunch & come check out the info available at the booths... Its sort of like a kayak carnival! :)....As far as I know we're the only club that has offered "boating back-up" for REI, but I could be wrong (Last year was my first year). As a thank you for participating REI has given us great coupons to the store in the past.

As far as the booth is concerned, we have a club banner, brochures to pass out, membership forms and hats and stickers to sell collected in a big bin (now affectionately known as "the coffin") that we will provide and should fit right under the table. What a great opportunity to tell people about the fun you've had with NSPN so far! The booth would be set up for 4 hours, but that time could be split up between people if we get enough volunteers. Its more fun to have a couple people do it together because it allows for each person to get a chance to check the other booths out, get lunch for each other, etc...

Its just another fun way to kick off the season together and a great way to be involved in the "kayak community"!

As usual I can help out in the water at Horn Pond. Helping newbies is fun, but a bit frustrating when the REI folks send out 90lb kids in 16' boats with 230cm 4lb unfeathered paddles when the wind picks up. Talk about babysitting!

Okay, I'll make it for the 9th in Braintree. It was fun doing this in Norwell last month (what, am I becoming the S. Shore person? From Haverhill??) but let's hope we get a few more!

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

Change in plans for me - About two months ago I joined the AMC's beginner white water kayak clinic and I've just been informed via email that my class is scheduled for the weekend of June 9-10th on the Deerfield River. Sorry about the change.

• 2 months later...

Rei demo day is fast approaching 6/9 and 6/10 and once again we need volunteers from the Club to be on the water as safety boats and people to be at our booth. The demo day provides us with great exposure at minimum cost. I will coordinate the days, but I need the following from the members:

1. Registrar for the South Shore Demo day

2. Safety boats for both days

3. People to sit at the booth and talk with people about NSPN.

Please let me know if you're interested and come support the Club!