Misty Fiords

alcoons

Anyone know of SOUTHEAST EXPOSURE/ALASKA SEA KAYAKING ADVENTURES in Ketchikan? Looking to go to Misty Fiords. They have a nice looking program with reasonable prices but not much detail online.

Anyone know of anyone else guiding/going to that area?

Thanks,

Al

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

2 summers ago we did an unsupported trip in Misty but we used the services of Southeast Sea Kayaks (Kethikan based). Their infrormation was great and they had excellent equipment. We planned on being out for 18 days but cut it off at 15. If you plan to go there remember that it's not named Misty Fjords for no reason. Feel free to contact me back channel for all the details on conditions, what went great and what did not.

Being interested in paddling Alaska as well I am thinking that perhaps others would appreciate hearing about the experiences of others in our group! Might consider posting on this site for all to view?? AND I may be out of line...I am certain that someone will let us know!

Maryb

Mystic & Explorer lv for sale

Force 3 soon to arrive!!! :)

>Being interested in paddling Alaska as well I am thinking

>that perhaps others would appreciate hearing about the

>experiences of others in our group! Might consider posting

>on this site for all to view?? AND I may be out of line...I

>am certain that someone will let us know!

Mary.

Have spent a lot of time in Alaska, but not paddling. Did get to paddle the Queen Charlotte Islands (just south of the Alaska border) a few years ago and they were very special in terms of paddling, scenary, history and the continuing life of the Haida people.

Here is what I have found out so far about a possible Misty Fjords Trip. Maybe others can continue to advise or join us. This 6 day trip going from Walkers Cove, to Portage or Saks Cove, to Anchor Pass, to Blind Pass is at the northern end of the National Momument. Food and equipment, guide, camping with option for two cabins for a bit extra, and single or double kayaks. Airfare is reasonable given the status of airline travel and connections are great with Alaska Airlines.

Many do this kind of trip or longer trips unguided and unsupported. Unless you want a very long paddle from Ketchikan, you hire a company to take you, your gear, and your boat down and back. Same company will rent kayaks.

We are considering taking the ferry from Bellingham, WA to Ketchikan on the way up. As usual, all the cabins are already book for the middle of June, but sleeping in the Solarium is always special. It is the area on the back deck of these ferries. It is open at the very rear but has a glass ceiling. Everyone lays out their pads and sleeping bags and shares and sleeps. Public showers are available.

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

Al

Let me know if you need a ride to Bellingham from Seatac. I've been thinking of doing a trip into the MF this summer.

Bob Burnett

Seattle WA

206-321-0011