Hey, how was the camping workshop?

It was a great workshop! Matt and I have a new list of a few things we'll be on the look out for gear-wise, and before I left, I was trying to get Natalia & Kim to start a thread of their favorite recipies...maybe for a future NSPN Kayak camping cook book! They had created some terrific snacks during the workshop.

Thanks Mike, Kim, Natalia & John for an informative workshop!

What was also cool were the strategies for preparing them ahead of time in zip locks, dry ingredients vs. wet...and even some dehydrated options...

A list of groceries to look for would be good too... There were some non-refrigerated options for clams and chicken for example that are good until you open them...

>Actually if everyone could post their favorite recipes that

>would be great!!!! Glad it went well :)

If anyone could post anything I'd appreciate it... any little hints or tips or gear suggestions you picked up. I really wanted to go on Saturday but I was sick.

Cheers, Joe

Here are a few things that I picked up, having never done it myself...(I tend to car camp) Mike & company, please correct me if I misinterpreted anything...

Slippery nylon dry bags tend to pack and squish together better than the heavier duty "sticky rubbery" ones...

A bow shaped drybag uses space better than cylindrical ones and are best used for your clothes.

fresh vegis are refreshing to add to your main meals (often overlooked) and they also tuck in amongst your other gear right in the bag you got them in from the produce department

Distibuting the weight of water you bring (and other heavier gear) closer to the center of the boat helps keep your center of gravity normal/minimizes weather cocking...

There's a great down air mattress on the market that is 3 inches thick, compacts extremely well, and inflates by pumping a the dry bag it comes in.

There are down sleeping bags that can compress to the size of a soccer ball.

Food recipies can be pre measured in zip lock bags, dry ingredients separate from wet, they can be "mixed" by kneeding the stuff together in the bags and when you are done all you have to carry back out is the bags... All stages tuck in amongst other gear well.

A food dehydater can further compact food (a whole jar of spagetti sauce) and it keeps longer...

there are good waterproof matches to have in your bag of tricks

There's an extremely lightweight tarp "impregnated with silicone" that packs down to nothin' that is extensive but waterproof and perfect for shelter...Mike can you help me with what this was called?

You can use yor day hatch as a cooler.

Don't forget a first aid kit... You can make your own with a normal dry bag, but make sure it's label or obviously different than the others so you can descibe it in a hurry to someone else. (Be sure to ask people if they have allergies before you go...)

Mesh bags are great to pack so that you can minimize trips from your boat to the site...

You can use the space beyond your foot pegs to pack a tent

Or you can have the wall of your front hatch moved right back to where your feet could brace against and gian more space in your hatch.

I'll post more as I remember them...

I'll try to do a summary/list of the workshop.

The tarp was sil-nylon, big agnes also makes a slepping pad filled with synthetic insulation, it's a few ounces heavier than the down version but it's less then $80, the down one is $140-$150. So it's the same price as a much thinner and less comfortable thermarest, it compresses just as small too.

We (generally) recommend synthetic sleeping bags, especially since we're in a water filled enviroment, but down can bags certainly have thier place too.

In the end it's what works best for you.

Much appreciated, thank you very much. My sleeping bag arrived yesterday. Just need a stove and a few other odds and ends. EMS has a 20% off sale tomorrow and Saturday if memory serves me correctly so I'll probably pick up a beefier multi-tool and a stove.

Cheers, Joe

There are various sources for multiple sizes of small containers; Rubbermaid, etc. (When's the NSPN Tupperware party?) You can save your pill bottles, spice jars, "travel" shampoo containers, etc. These are superior methods of pre-measuring/pre-packing small items as regards trash generation.