So, what music do you like?

Got a few hours? No, OK, I'll keep it short.

The Police. I think my most listened to records (CDs... errr... ACCs) is my "Message in a Box" collection. I listened to it for 6 months straight once. It will never get old. Can't wait for the reunion show at Fenway!!!! It was Sting's songwriting that really drove things for the most part but it was (IMO) Stewart Copland's influence that gave them their unique sound.

Of course it goes without saying that I also like Sting.

Miles Davis - An awesome talent (although I found out that it is possible for him to do something that sucks... he actually did a cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" and it's terrible... Tuck and Patty do a pretty good cover of it though)

Ray Charles - I think the ONLY artist to have songs in just about every chart. Makin' Whoopee, Greenback, I don't need no doctor, etc.

John Mayer - I've got my eye on him. You can still hear a VERY heavy influence in his guitar playing from Stevie Ray Vaughn but he's starting to come into his own both as a player and a songwriter. He needs a little more time to cook but I think Continuum is the start of some very good things to come.

Bonnie Raitt - Her style is what I'd call genuine. When I listen to Bonnie I don't feel like I'm listening to someone perform, rather I feel like I'm listening to someone tell a story from the heart. I think she's also a very underrated slide guitar player.

Poncho Sanchez - Latin percussionist extraordinaire (I believe that someone on the planet the spelling police are having heart attacks)

Chick Corea - TBC, Armando's Rhumba, Spain, etc. He was one of my first jazz idols.

Otis Spann - He played piano for Muddy Waters and eventually did a few records of his own. Great Blues stuff.

Van Halen - VAN HALEN RULES!!!! (bangs head)

Sheryl Crow - One of the few artists that came out of the 90s that I think will have any staying power.

The Beatles - they've had such a tremendous influence on so many musicians (even Ray Charles to a certain extent... kind of an interesting conundrum there because he probably influenced them).

Quincy Jones - As a producer, songwriter, musician... he wears a lot of hats with a lot of class.

Bjork - Usually I don't like electronic music because most of it is crap that couldn't stand on its own if you took away the synthesizers and drum machines but Bjork is one unusually creative package and I find her work compelling. Plus... she's from Iceland so for a kayaker that has to be a bonus!

Bobby Shew - Great jazz trumpet player. Check out Salsa Caliente.

Roy Hargrove - Another jazz trumpet player. Check out Parker's Mood

Diana Krall - I like her live stuff... not so much her studio stuff.

Jonatha Brooke - AWESOME singer songwriter with roots in the Boston area. She does a lot of work with alternate tunings which give her songs a unique flavor.

I'm getting tired of typing so I'm just going to list a whole bunch of other stuff I listen to:

Pink Floyd

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

Herbie Hancock

INXS

James Taylor - OK... have to comment, he's awesome!!!

Melissa Etheridge - OK, have to comment on her too... I've seen her live 5 times and she puts on the best show EVER. That girl has more energy in her left pinky finger than an entire NFL football team has put together.

Aerosmith

Hendrix

Freddie Hubbard

John Scofield

KD Lang

Letters to Cleo

Lisa Loeb

Sarah McLachlan

Lyle Lovett

Norah Jones

Queen

The Stones

Sarah Vaughn

U2 - (the older stuff when they were all political and pissed off... I'm not as crazy about their new happy happy crap although I still listen to it (it's good, it's just not as good)).

Willie Nelson

BB King

Ben Webster

Billy Holiday

Billy Joel

The Black Crowes

The Brian Setzer Orchestra

Clifford Brown.

I never want to hear The Chicken Dance, The Electric Slide, or the Macarena ever again!!!! :-)

Cheers, Joe

I started liking what you were talking about but by the end of it all I realized you had never used the name Peter Gabriel. Then there's Muddy Waters, without whom there may never have been a genre for many of these artists to perform in. Ma-a-a-a-an!

>Beethoven! The Sixth is great for cruising and/or stroke

>practice, and the Seventh for working a heavy tidal race.

>Dunno about dancing, however.

>

>--David.

Ah yes- but don't forget Richard Wagner dubbed Beethoven's 7th "the apotheosis of the dance" As far as paddling music however-what about warming up to Ravel's Bolero?

I'm a guitar and banjo picker, myself. I have a long list of tunes that I play or have played in the past. Bluegrass and acoustic blues.

It all comes together for me at the Thomas Point Beach Bluegrass festival, near Brunswick Maine. It's on a great beach, and I bring my kayak - paddle during the day and pick banjo around the campfire at night.

One of my favorite bluegrass tunes has a nautical theme:

"Where is my sailor boy"

Oh, where is my sailor boy;

Where is my sailor boy?

He sleeps at the bottom of the deep blue sea,

And he can't come back to me.

I stand on the beach alone

And gaze at the misty blue.

Deep sea, as you hold him to your breast,

Does he mention my name to you?

CHORUS:

Oh, what does the deep sea say?

What does the deep sea say?

It moans, it groans, it splashes and it foams,

And it rolls on its weary way.

Oh, please tell me, deep blue sea,

Is he sleeping peacefully?

The winds from the north are blowin' icy cold;

Can you keep him warm for me?

If only my grieving soul

Some token of love could find;

And if only the waves would show me where he sleeps,

Then I'd leave this world behind.

A beautiful rose, one day,

I placed on the crest of a wave.

I said, "Take it, please, and let it settle home

Above his watery grave."

The driftwood I watched in vain,

And my rose never came back again.

Oh, waves, take another message to my love Sayin' I'll need him alone.

I listen to a lot of different things but this week I've been enjoying Charlie Hunter, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Reverend Horton Heat, Robert Cray and some mid career Dylan live recordings.

Any nominations for a "desert island playlist" to pack along with the other survival aids? I'd have to have something- anything from Riki Lee Jones' Traffic from Paradise. I've been listening to that disc since it came out in '93 and never get tired of it.

Dana

Hmm, I forgot to add mine! :)

I'll have to add to this later, but at least for current music:

Foo Fighters (#1 !) :)

KT Tunstahl

MIA

Red Hot Chili Peppers (particularly the freaky early stuff :)

Nique de Mere (hey, I didn't name the group!)

Carbon Leaf

Casey Neil Trio

REM

Beuna Vista Social Club

St. Germain

Quarasi

Drop Kick Murphys

Flogging Molly

The Be Good Tanyas

Muttonbirds

Saw Doctors

As far as paddling goes my two favorite tunes are by Stan Rogers, a Nova Scotian folksinger. Barret's Privateers and Nortwest Passage---btw I know all the words to Barrets Privateers and often sing it aloud---very aloud---when I'm paddling.

Just to add a few that haven't been mentioned or that are special to me:

KT Tunstall - Eye to the telescope album (if you know me you know why)

Guster - Ganging up on the sun album (ditto)

Train - ditto

Pacabel's Canon to relax

Anything Bach

Moody Blues

CCR

then these specific songs and albums, of course:

Dido's White Flag

Diego Davalos' Kayak

Enya's Orinico Flow

JJ Gale & Clapton's Ride the River

Handel's Water Music (!!)

Pachelbel's Ocean

Phaedrus' Kayak on the Kuskokwim

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

NO.... not Pachabell's Canon in D... it's pure evil...

http://www.symphonyphoto.com/blog/?p=88

Cheers, Joe

>NO.... not Pachabell's Canon in D... it's pure evil...

>

HEY Mr. Wedding Photo Man - that is the music to which I got married! Outdoors, beautiful day, beautiful music. Certainly has been over-commercialized, but not so much 25 years ago...

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

>HEY Mr. Wedding Photo Man - that is the music to which I got

>married! Outdoors, beautiful day, beautiful music.

>Certainly has been over-commercialized, but not so much 25

>years ago...

Actually I don't recall hearing it at all last season. Canon in D is much better than sitting through music by James Blunt, Regina Spectre

That comedian is awesome though!

Cheers, Joe

> Canon

>in D is much better than sitting through music by James

>Blunt, Regina Spectre

>G, Celine Dion, or Michael Bolton.

>

>That comedian is awesome though!

>

>Cheers, Joe

I agree...you won me back, Joe. No capsize for you. (Spoken like the Soup Nazi of course.)

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

Guest _rick

Does it really matter? To quote another comedian..Why do they call buildings, buildings when they are already built? shouldnt they be called builts?

Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Why do you pay on a freeway?

My all time favorite -- sorry ladies

If a tree falls in the woods... is the man still wrong?

Pardon me while I go contemplate my navel, it makes more sense than women, wine, or song.

:)

Okay, you've sucked me in.

Clan Drumna

The Pogues

Social Disorder

Wolfstone

Bruce Springsteen

U2

Rolling Stones

Counting Crows

Wolfetones

Any thing sung in Gaelic, both Scots and Irish

The soundtrack from "Master and Commander". The Giant Wave Scene -- when a crew member gets caught in the rigging when the mast snaps and he (and it) go overboard -- is always in my mind when I paddle in Stuff. The music at the finale is great for paddling backwards in a Figure 8 -- or just tooling around.

The Barn Building Scene from "Witness"

Anonymous 4

16th/17th English Music, especially Thomas Tallis

Beethovan

Chopin

Joni Mitchell

Fairport Convention -- especially with the late Sandy Denny

Steve Earle

Rock 'n Roll is rock 'n roll and the good stuff - whatever that is -- is timeless and will be around as long as people have ears and recording equipment, just as Classical and Jazz (I do like Miles Davis)will be.

And the processional when we got married 21 years ago was: Pachabel's Canon. We'd wanted to use the music from the barn building scene in "Witness", but we couldn't get our hands on the score for the organist.

Deb M

>I wonder if any of the current music proposed in this

>thread will still be played or even remembered in 2107, much

>less 2334 (= 327 years later, the time that the Canon in D

>has been around (since 1680)).

>

>--David.

Very good point, however there exists implied in your message the distinction between what may be merely popular and what is good. If we go back to the time of the great masters, say Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann and Brahms and inquire who was at the top of the charts in their time, the results might surprise and astonish us. For the most part, second and third rate composers were the public's favorites. Mozart might have been the exception but even he had his contemporary competition. Mahler and even Wagner were reviled and ignored during their time. Pachebel's Canon in D as an example of what we now dub "Early Music" was totally ignored by orchestra's and the air waves until the 50's when it and many other masterpieces were resurrected by a popular radio personality in NYC called "DeKoven". Even Mozart was ignored for years in the modern era. We're currently doing the same for some of the great Nationalistic composers such as Sibelius, Dvorak, and Tchiakovsky. And don't get me started on the decline of Rachmaninoff. (I'm not talking about WCRB but the programming choices of the great Orchestra's of the West. So, the only conclusion I can make is that "times---they are a' changing". Was that a line from a classic folk song by Robert Zimmerman aka Bob Dylan?

>I wonder if any of the current music proposed in this

>thread will still be played or even remembered in 2107, much

>less 2334 (= 327 years later, the time that the Canon in D

>has been around (since 1680)).

>

>--David.

If jazz or rock are still around... I'd put money on Miles Davis and The Beatles still being played... or at least remembered. If Ray Kurzweil is correct I might have a slim chance of actually finding out. Let's meet on 1/1/2334 on Long Beach in Nahant... I'm sorry, forgot to account for global warming... meet on Long Beach in Jackson, NH. We'll circumnavigate Mt. Washington Island. I'll be in the Valley Hover Kayak, with a Werner anti-grav paddle. I'll also be wearing a Kokatat environmental suit. Bring your 660th generation MicroBucks (or will it be StarSoft) iPod as well.

Cheers, Joe