Reverse hard chine???

shewhorn

Boreal trumpets the Ellsmere as having a "reverse hard chine". I'm familiar with a hard chine but what the characteristic makes something a "reverse" hard chine? Just curious.

Cheers, Joe

If you look at the Ellesmere hull, it looks like Boreal started with a rounded chine design, then cut a slice off each side to create the "reverse" chines. I'm not sure what effect this odd feature actually has, but it's a nice-handling boat nonetheless. I would just chock it up to "marketing speak" and ignore it. If you like the way it paddles, buy it. Their boats are well made.

Hey Joe,

I believe the "reverse" part refers to chine profile along the side ellesmere to be highest (closer to the deck) in the middle and dip down towards the water in the bow and stern. Unlike most hard chine shapes which seem more similar to the line of the deck/hull seam and/or keel line. A frown vs. a smile.

Jon

Thanks guys. It's a nice boat for sure! I'm not really interested in one, I was just curious as to what part constituted the "reverse" part. Regarding the marketing, I figured as much as I doubt the chine shape will have nearly as much effect on handling as the beam, effective water line, rocker, etc.

Cheers, Joe