drysuit recomendations

dsigall

Paddling around the pool in Ipswich last week reminded me how much I miss kayaking since the water turned too cold for my wetsuit & drytop... Looks like I'm in the market for a drysuit.

After listening to other paddlers over the last couple of years I've developed the impression that Kokatat is the way to go and Palm is not. Since money is definately a concern I'd love to hear that Palm is both the best value and well enough made that I wouldn't put myself though an episode of buyers' remorse every time I got into it. Anyone with first hand experience with both? These are the two brands that I come across most often but I would be interested in learing about others as well.

Dana

Northshore Mariner - white/white

>Tei,

>Check out this link:

>http://www.nspn.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID6/537.html

>Palm is a well-respected brand.

>Kevin

Dana

I have a palm two piece that I really like and my daughter has a kokatat that she really likes. I guess its a personal matter on fit and finish. I find two pieces (when you link them correctly) does me fine. Its the should room I was after. For my daughter its a heck of a lot easier bagging her then getting her shimmying into two pieces.

Your mileage may vary

_rick

Dana

I've been very satisfied with my Ravenspring. Breathable and custom sized. Gaskets fit nicely right out of the box, no trimming needed. After 4 years of medium duty use it still in great shape with healthy looking gaskets. At the time it cost me about $600 w/ shipping, import duties and relief zipper (a must but optional) Being a direct buy from a British Co. the cost will depend on the exchange rate. Worth checking out.

http://www.ravenspring.co.uk/system/index.html

Gerry

Red Stripper (Explorer wanna-be)

Dana,

I haven't really heard too many bad things about Palm except that the zip is across the back of the shoulders and hence hard to zip up yourself. From those I know who own one, their customer service has been very good. I really don't think you can go wrong with Palm or Kokatat and Palm is definately more reasonably priced. See the sale post in Commerical Classifieds.

Well, people talk of the 'Kokatat premium' in reference to the expense of their dry suits. However, they are great at employing the Gore-Tex lifetime guarantee. Last year when I sent in my dry suit for new gaskets, Kokotat decided the material was delaminating, so they sent me a new dry suit for the price of new gaskets. I've heard many such stories.

I think it is worth paying for a Kokatat suit.

There are basically two tiers of dry suits and pricing; high-end suits made with Gore-Tex and lower-priced suits made from something else. As JRW indicated, the main difference is in the warranty. Gore warrants their FABRIC against leakage and delamination for life and they're serious about it. I've had a 9-year-old Gore-Tex jacket replaced under warranty, no questions asked. Linda recently had her Kokatat Gore-Tex dry suit replaced under warranty (it was 7 or 8 years old). My seven-year-old Stohlquist dry suit is weeping somewhat and if it's a delamination problem, it will be replaced under warranty as well. AFAIK. no other fabric manufacturer or dry suit maker offers anything other than a relatively short warranty. Some do offer excellent service, but eventually their warranty runs out and you're on your own.

So, you have a choice: Do you buy an expensive Gore-Tex suit which you know you will have for many years or a less expensive suit knowing that you will probably have to replace it every few years. If you can handle the initial cost, a Gore-Tex dry suit will be cheaper in the long run.

I have no experience with any but Kokatat and have been very satisfied with it. Also, with some patience and shopping, these can sometimes be had at prices comparable to the other brands. Watch closeout sites like sierratradingpost.com and outdoorplay.com as well as sale notices from local outfitters. A good used suit can also be a deal if it's in good shape. One example, I managed to hook a kokatat goretex suit with goretex booties and relief zipper, brand new, for under $500 for my GF last year.

Good luck!

I have a Palm suit.

It was a bit of a long and anguished saga with leakage, returns, replacements and phone calls over a couple seasons before I finally got a suit that worked.

Palm was having a q.c. issue in with seam taping, an issue they finally admitted to, which seems to be resolved. The suit I have now doesn't leak, and I'm happy with it.

It was always evident the fabric they use is awesome - heavy duy w/ripstop scrim (which Kokatat doesn't have), and the model I own (an upgrade at Palm's expense) has all the bells and whistles. So, with the seam issue out of the way, it really is a good suit, a tank, that withstands a tough life with me sweating it all up and beating on it. The rear zip, by the way, really isn't difficult at all to do yourself with a little practice.

I often thought during the period of leaks and returns, that perhaps I should cut my losses and just buy a Kokatat, but then I leanred of plenty of folks w/leaky Kokatat issues as well. Both companies will back up their stuff, and even after it all, I'd reccomend Palm.

i am partial to Stohlquist.....

i have the new bpod-t..not goretex but i do not believe that is is any worse for that....plus i find it MUCH more comfortable than a kokatat (or other drytop) suit.....

rob

I really can't add much to this as far as different dry suits go as I've always had Kokatat. Both Bob and I had our gaskets replaced last year after 5 (his) and 4 (mine) years of use (mine hadn't torn but I was being pro-active). Bob's suit developed a pinhole leak this past fall. He took it down to the recommended Kokatat Repair dealer (Osprey Sea Kayak in Westport)and they sent it out for him. It turned out the Goretex was delaminating, so Kokatat replaced the suit, and he picks it up tomorrow.

BTW, during the interim, Osprey lent him a Goretex suit. He's getting his new drysuit after about a month's wait, which we both think is more than reasonable for a replacement.

We've both been pleased with Kokatat for service and product.

Deb M.

I picked up a Palm Torrent mid season last year. I've used it several times plus wore it swimming to test for leaks. The only complaint, learning how to zip the zipper because it's behind me over going from one shoulder to the other. Trust me, people laugh when they watch my dance when trying to reach the zipper and unzip.

The fit and quality is good.

Hi Dana,

Deb forgot to mention that I also had a loaner Palm from my friends at Osprey until the Kokotat loaner arrived, no booties, I think the mid range model. Having wrestled my way in and out of both brands, I can say that my Kokotat had a much better zipper with heavier construction; I did not like either the puniness of the Palm zipper nor the way it sealed when fully zipped. Whatever brand you get, there are two must-have features:

1. Feet

2. A relief zipper!

Best of Luck!

Bob

Thanks for all the good advice. I stopped by NESC today and looked at what they had on the rack. Alex patiently hung in there, answered all my questions and a few I didn't think to ask. No decision yet but I'm hoping to show-up for a SNG soon.

speaking of the stohlquist ibod I'm thinking about buy either that or the equivilent kokitat(the semi dry suit with the neoprene collar)--How much leakage, if any, do you get around the collar?