Alcohol Stoves

Suz

They're simple, quiet and relatively safer (no pressure, fuel is less toxic), but they have significant downsides:

- They're MUCH slower to heat due the the low burning temperature of alcohol (11 minutes per liter vs 3-3.5 minutes for other fuels).

- They require more fuel, as alcohol produces less heat for a given quantity than other fuels. That means more weight and volume to carry.

- They're nearly useless in really cold weather, unless you use the pre-heater.

Trangia's FAQ addresses these and many other issue, so it's worth reading before buying one of their stoves.

Dang, Ed, you beat me to it! Yes, that's probably the best website.

FWIW, the Etowah is probably the most popular among Appalachian Trail thru-hikers. In one week in Maine, I counted about 7 of these in use.

It's cheap and gets hot pretty fast, It also has some kind of hobo-appeal to it.

>

>

>

>FWIW, the Etowah is probably the most popular among

>Appalachian Trail thru-hikers.

I think it would be enlightening to find out from the thru-hikers in Maine what equipment they started with as opposed to what equipment they ended with and why.

In theory, I think I would prefer a gas cartridge stove for kayaking due to ability to haul stuff easily and performance for short trips. For a minimalist stove for emergencies more or less, I think the heat tab stoves make sense as the fuel could be used to start fires and the whole package is small and easily stored. Not that I think making fires is all that useful, but I'm odd. As evidence, I still use a Svea 123.

Ed Lawson

Not sure you can yet beat the SVEA stove for volume and weight efficiency. Consider that you need a smaller volume/weight of fuel as well for the same period of time due to the heat efficiency of the white gas. When my brother did the three North-South trails in the US in three consecutive years he used a SVEA stove.

The two biggies were the Etowah and MSR pocket rocket.

The Etowah is cheap and lightweight. The aluminum screen is very malleable, so you can configure it in different wind/weather conditions. It's also pretty rugged.

A number of the Etowah "converts" said they started out with heavier, white gas stoves, but they were too heavy and tended to fail more often. A lot of them found it easier to resupply methanol at the gaps in the trail than either white gas or iso-pro.

The MSR pocket rocket crowd seemed to have used these from the git-go. They also seemed more organized in terms of their supply system (ie. having dedicated folks who would send them gear to the nearest post-office).