PFD Knife.

jason

I've started using this one (the blunt tip in 420 stainless) and like it. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_...QTKE.html?Hit=1

The handle is large enough to be gripped with heavy gloves and the knife was reasonably sharp right out of the box. I think a knife so easily lost should be on the cheaper side.

Many scuba shops carry these Wenoka knives (I think they may be associated with Aqualung/Seaquest) if you want to look at one.

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim

I have the knife you linked to. I think it is a great choice. I prefer titanium to SS because it doesn't rust even when left all covered with salt water all the time. SS does require some cleaning/maintenance, or it will rust. The disadvantage to titanium is that is a softer material and does not hold an edge as well. To me, this really isn't a disadvantage unless you use your knife alot for chores other than emergencies.

OK, here's my recommendation... The Columbia River Bear Claw, the serrated blunt nose version. Of course I haven't had to use it in an emergency situation but I can tell you the finger hole gives you a very secure grip, an important consideration with cold wet hands, and the hooked blade shape with blunt nose makes the possibility of hacking unintended objects or people highly unlikely. The hooked shape also makes for cutting rope more effective.

As with all stainless steel you do get some rust from exposure to salt water and the rivets that hold the plastic handle pieces on have rusted up pretty good. Another possible down side is the blade is too short and thick to effectively clean out a skeg box. But all in all this is a knife I feel very confident having on my PFD. If I loose it or it rusts up too much I will be replacing it with the same thing. The design I think is so perfect I am surprised it isn't the defacto kayaking knife.

Charles River Canoe and Kayak used to carry the knife, I don't know if they still do.

http://www.crkt.com/bearclaw.html

I use a model made by Buck called the Tiburon. It's designed in collaboration with kayaker Ed Gillet, but I have to admit I don't know who he is. It is spare in design, but has two types of edge on one side, a hook-type cutter on the other side, a blunt tip, and comes with a handy kydex-type sheath with both a thumb release, and a velcro-enclosed tab for more security. It also has a type of wrench (usable on nuts) built into the handle.

I have found that it needs to be taken out of the sheath and rinsed, then dried, as the one time I left it in the sheath after the Spring Leader's Training, little bits of corrosion developed. They were easily erased. I bought it for $46 (OneStop Knife shop on the web) as I recall, but found it here ( http://store.everestgear.com/376706.html) for about $20 more.