Kayak Sun Screen?

jason

Does anybody know of a sun screen that you can put on your face, is water proof and doesn't hurt your eyes when you sweet?

Every time I go out these days I end up sun screen in my eyes burning them. Please let me know of a better sun screen.

Thanks -Jason

Hi Jason;

I have been using Coopertone Sport for a few years. It is waterproof and sweatproof. I play tennis during the summer and it never runs into my eyes nor do I need to reapply. So far it has worked fine for paddling also (kinda new to this sport...) Comes in an easy to use blue container.

Brian

After applying sunscreen, I make a pass over my forehead with my palm or back of my wrist to thin it out. Since doing that, I've almost never experienced suncreen in my eyes.

I figure that my forehead doesn't need quite as much protection, being under the brim of my hat and subject mostly to reflected sun, whereas the rest of my face gets both direct and reflected sun.

But to address your original question, I like Aloe Gator Gel from REI (and maybe elsewhere). It's considerably stiffer, more viscous than the creams that most brands use, and really sticks to your skin. I think it's less likely to run when hot or wet, but I don't know if it's inherently gentler on the eyes, since the above trick generally prevents it from even getting there.

http://tinyurl.com/fzcmg

--David

I second this! The spray on kind (I'm a fair redhead and ignore the spray and just pour it on) has been 100% effective preventing sunburn. Plus it's a liquid and doesn't make your hands slip on the paddle, even when re-applied at a lunch break. I found it to be most effective when applied at home before heading to the put in.

Be sure to get the liquid, and not to buy generic (I buy generic everything when available). I got a terrible sunburn after buying a store-brand that looked just like the Coppertone.

Lyn

>Hi Jason;

>

>I have been using Coopertone Sport for a few years. It is

>waterproof and sweatproof. I play tennis during the summer

>and it never runs into my eyes nor do I need to reapply. So

>far it has worked fine for paddling also (kinda new to this

>sport...) Comes in an easy to use blue container.

>

>Brian

David the sun screen on my forhead could be my issue as I don't like hats.

per Lyn's & Brian sugestions I pickdup up Coppertone Sport Liquid tonight. I will test it out and see if it's the fix.

Thanks -Jason

Jason,

I burn as easily as toast does when you walk away from the toaster... So, I am always looking for the strongest sunscreen so that I can get away with putting it on less frequently. My current favorite (used to use the Coppertone Sport - still do on my body)for my face is Neutrogena's dry formula. Just found it at drugstore.com in a 55.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

My lips burn terribly in the sun and then I get cold sores. I searched until I could find a waterproof high SPF stick for lips. I found two - one by Bullfrog and one by Dermatone.

The Bullfrog is spf 36 so is really helpful. You can also use it as a "touch up" on your face while on the water.

Bullfrog: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

Neither of these products cause my eyes to sting.

Suz

I would suggest you put the sunscreen on

after showering in the morning before going

kayaking. That way it will get the opportunity

to be absorbed by your skin.

If I put it on at the put in, I fine that

I have already started to swet and it is not absorbed.

I also us one that will not run once it is absored as a result of swetting. Thus I have not had a problem with it running into my eyes.

Good luck.

Still with your luck do not stop carring a cloth to wipe the sunscreen out of your eyes.

Walter

Impex Assateague

Emerald Green/ White w/ a yellow stripe

I too, have found Coppertone Sport to be the only thing that doesn't blind me. I pretty much would echo Suz's advice and add that the Coppertone Sport is more waterproof than the Neutrogena, though all of them need to be reapplied....and that the Aussies know their skin protection and make the wonderful Blue Lizard sunscreen, which I buy the baby version of as it has better protection. (And it's fun to watch the bottle change color when UV light hits it!) Another option is to wear sunscreen everywhere BUT your forehead and keep a bandana on that goes all the way down to your brows plus sunglasses, plus potentially a hat, but that's a lot of stuff on your head.

--whitey