Ok you beginner paddlers out there...

...c'mon now, post your own SNGs! You've been on the trips, so now it's time to get out there yourself and offer a paddle. If no one bites and you don't feel comfortable going by yourself, then don't go; however, you might be surprised at how many people might want to go. So, step up and post those SNGs now! By the way, I've been told by a certain someone whose name starts with the letter G that I'm a bit of an instigator. :)

Well, I am such a beginner that I had to look up what an "SNG" is...

So I made my own SNG tonight: I went to Kingston just like last week (the "S") and then, when no one else showed up, I left (the "NG"). But since I am a beginner in every sense of that word, I left without getting in the water. And here I was with my new "new" Kayak. After spending time with the Kingston group last week, talking quite a bit with Cathy, borrowing her Necky, and visiting NE Small Craft (Alex was wonderful), I tried out and bought a P&H Capella. Finally, a real kayak instead of the rowboat I brought last time. But, alas, I have yet to get it wet.

But now I know...first see if others are coming.

Brian

P&H Capella 163 Red/White

Sorry about that Brian. My intention was to post and go to the skill session (I knew Cathy wasn't going to make it) but I had something come up, and was unable to make it. Hopefully next week will work out.

No problem...Cathy told me that the Kingston sessions don't always happen. So I sat on the shore for an hour or so thinking how great the weather was and watching all the powerboaters show up. It was fine until one of them came over to me and said: "Don't take it personally, but kayakers suck...." (a verbatim quote) His complaint was that we kayakers were parking where the boaters park with the trailers. Soon after that he started working on his boat right there on the ramp which was quite pleasent what with all the blue smoke and noise. BTW, I told him I did in fact take it personally and since there was no signage etc. that it was not intentional. He then complained that kayakers sit floating next to the ramp making it difficult for powerboters to use the launch ramp.

Made me even happier to be associated with all of you; that is if what I saw last week is representative behaviour (courteous, kind, cheerful, brave, etc.)

And Kevin, thanks for the Salem invite. I will take you up on it. When and where do you usually go? I need lots of time in the water. Preferably far from powerboaters or at least that Kingston guy (had a mullet by the way.)

Remaining mulletless,

Brian

>powerboaters

They are conveying themselves about the water by motor, perhaps they are just lazy. They are fouling the water and air with their carbon emissions and loud noises. We have to realize that their conscience realizes these facts, even if they don't consciously acknowledge it, and their self esteem takes a substantial hit. Furthermore, they had such low self esteem they purchased the stink boat in the first place. Don't mention that the noise and smell they make detracts from everyone's enjoyment, not just other boaters, while self propelled craft do no such thing. They might become downright suicidal. Tempting isn't it.

Brian that is a fabulous story . . . my only word of advice would be to use your paddle next time someone says something like that for it's other purpose (first purpose is propulsion through water, second is for flogging power boaters in case you didn't know that) :) Power boaters blow and often have bad hair cuts . . . makes you wonder which came first? the mulletous person buying a power boat or the purchase of a power boat causing the baser qualities of man (yes man, not woman :) to appear in the form of a mullet?

congrats on the new boat!!!! definitely come join kevin and me any evening over in salem harbor . . .

At a Karen Knight class earlier this season, they became known as "SWBs"

(Stupid Weekend Boaters)... It was the first great weather weekend of the summer & there was tons of ramp traffic, and parking arguments followed by an impressive display of one of them whippping around an island and slamming on the brakes so fast they almost capsized.

Thanks for the entertainment guys...

Heidi

Brian,

To echo Kevin and Gillian - congratulations on the new boat! I am also a new Capella owner, a new paddler, and I live in Salem so I would be happy to get out there and dodge the mullet-sporting motor boaters with you.

Julia

OK, that makes a quorum (or, for kayakers is it a "kuorum"?) for getting out into Salem.

Kevin, Gillian, Julia - tell me when and where and I'll be there. I am free from Friday AM through the weekend.

Just remember - me, beginnner, not good. Yet.

>

>Just remember - me, beginnner, not good. Yet.

I love optimism!

Brian,

Gilly and I are paddling in NH on Sat. and I'm paddling in Essex Bay on Fri. morning. If you wanted to do a short paddle either Friday afternoon or Friday evening around 7, that would be fine. Gilly could make the one around 7 but no the one in the afternoon. I may also be putting together a L2 SNG for Sunday (see private trips) if you're interested.

Hi Kevin -

Thanks for the invitations. I live up near Haverhill, so NH works also for me. I work in Peabody, so Salem also is great.

Hopefully Julia sees this and she could join too.

I can go at almost any time. So I will check in again this evening and decide then what makes sense.

As to the SNG L2 - HaHaHa, me definately not L2, me capsize easily with Alex, me need experience first. L0 now, L1 soon, L2 by next week? (And right after I send this I will look up the meanings/qualifications of each Level.)

Brian

Hey Guys,

I have to go to Maine tomorrow for a family obligation this weekend and I probably won't be back until Sunday afternoon. I'm around next week if people want to go out after work.

But Brian, take Kevin and Gillian up on their offer! You'll be in great hands and I hope to see you on the water soon!

Julia

Brian,

How about Forest River Park at 6pm? Gilly will get there around 7pm but we can work on a few things until she arrives, and then perhaps paddle a bit in the inner harbor, where things usually remain calm. Gilly has stated that if any one wants to rescue her, she'll gladly dump her boat...you really need to be careful what you say around her. Before you can finish the sentence "I want to practice a rescue", she's in the water ;)