Cape Ann Circumnavigation

Lbeale

Yesterday, Deb Dempsey and I circumnavigated Cape Ann. We put in at the High School, paddled the route then finally landed at the beach next to the canal (Western Harbor). We innocently thought we could go through the canal back to our launch site, but yoh!!! The canal was jumping with Sunday boat traffic. By 5:00 pm, that canal had its own manic washing machine current. Deb and I thought the better of it decided we would like to go home in one piece and, landed at the beach next to the canal. We had to walk back to our cars at the High School parking lot.

Do kayakers usually go through that canal and we just happen to hit it on a busy day? Or do we just forget about EVER going through that canal? In other words, what is the local wisdom? Another question, as far as we can figure it out based on chart review, there is no way around that canal --if you want to circumnavigate Cape Ann--is that correct?

We chose our paddling route based on winds and tide and did well with the choice--however, is it better to launch at the Western Harbor beach by the canal? But then we don't do the full circumnavigation if we stop before the canal. We would like to do this trip again soon, but need information on best launch sites and considerations for this route. Thx, Les

Les,

You can travel through the canal, but as you witnessed, you can get alot of confused water caused by boat traffic. One possibility is too contact the bridge controller on vhf and have him guide you through with respect to on coming boats. I've done that in the past and it went well.

Another possibility is to launch at the public landing (more difficult at low tide) in Rocky Neck near Ten Pound Island or at Pavillion. Depending of course on times and tides, you might be able to get through the canal early and then continue with the circumnavigation.

> The canal was jumping with Sunday

>boat traffic. By 5:00 pm, that canal had its own manic

>washing machine current.

The canal is very busy on weekends.

>Do kayakers usually go through that canal and we just happen

>to hit it on a busy day? Or do we just forget about EVER

>going through that canal? In other words, what is the local

>wisdom?

If the tide is right, i.e. you can paddle north through the canal, you can launch early in the morning (before the boat traffic gets heavy) from Pavillion Beach, AKA the Greasy Pole, paddle out the Annisquam, then around back to the harbor to land.

>Another question, as far as we can figure it out

>based on chart review, there is no way around that canal

>--if you want to circumnavigate Cape Ann--is that correct?

Correct.

>We chose our paddling route based on winds and tide and did

>well with the choice--however, is it better to launch at the

>Western Harbor beach by the canal? But then we don't do the

>full circumnavigation if we stop before the canal. We would

>like to do this trip again soon, but need information on

>best launch sites and considerations for this route. Thx,

>Les

Let me know when you are going. I have a chart with all possible emergency takeouts, and more, marked.

I just have not been paddling much this year. Gotta do more.

Liz N.