Knife Question

subaruguru

I see the Gerber River and Shorty around a lot, and wonder if the Benchmade River Rescue is a LOT better, and why? I was pretty excited by the new Spyderco Salt Atlantic/Pacific (H1 steel is hard AND resists salt corrosion!) and bought two (large black serrated, small yellow smooth...wanna trade for one?) but am starting to realize that a pocketed folder is just too inefficient, and I'd like to mount a fixed one on my PFD.

The only posting I found was for a titanium (soft material, but doesn't rust) one, and I wonder if anyone's happy with the CRKT Bear Claw...although it may be useful only for cutting line/rope/vine, rather than an all-purpose knife?

If the Gerber's the easy, cheaper bet, is the blunt Shorty just safer than the drop-point Runner, or does said blunt end actually becaome useful as a pry-bar for any purpose you know of that I can't in my meager experience imagine?

Thanks for a reply. Ern

Why do I have a feeling this thread might turn into a knife vs. non-knife free for all? ;)

I tried the bear claw and found it rusted much too easily and it was hard to near impossible to clean off the rust. It was also much too small to grab with gloved hands when paddling in the winter. I use a knife made by Buck named the Tiburon. It has a blunt, screwdriver tip, rope cutter, serrated edge as well as straight edge. Here's the description from Buck:

Multi-purpose water sports knife designed in collaboration with world-renowned kayaker, Ed Gillet. The Tiburon has a 3-3/4" serrated segment, and a chisel tip on the blade. A handy line cutter on the back and a clever socket wrench. 17-7PH stainless steel gives the perfect balance of corrosion resistance and good edge holding strength. Sheath is molded with belt loop and clip for right or left-hand use. 8-1/2" overall, 6 oz.

I've found the locking mechanism to be incredibly secure; however, the tradeoff is that you have to use two hands to unsheath it until you get used to the mechanism. It will spot with rust, but a little TLC with a Scotchbrite sponge takes it right off. It might be long for some people at 8.5 inches, but I have it on my pfd and have never had an issue with it while performing rescues, rolls, etc.

I've used the bearclaw for around 3 years now and am generally satisfied with it. Better than the Gerber I used to have but that's about the only comparison I can make from experience. Put vaseline on the bear claw and it keeps most of the rust away.

Gonna try some sea snips too this season.

On one of my PFDs I stitched on a Benchmade Rescue Hook, on the theory that the only thing I'd want to cut is some type of cordage. So far (knock on fiberglass) I haven't needed it. It does seem to rust in saltwater, though they also make a more pricey version for yachty people that claims to be more rust-free. We're talking $20 to 40.

I'll try the Vaseline idea.

I'm kind of a knife guy so having something sharp and dependable on the water just seemed natural when I began kayaking. I used to have a Benchmade H2O dive knife (mounted inverted on my pfd), and although it is a well made knife it proved to be a bit large and in the way during some rescues. It accumulated a bit of surface rust on the exposed tang (but not on the blade) after 2 years and no rinsing and has a useful blade shape (modified sheepsfoot). It is also pretty secure in the sheath. I then moved to a smaller Benchmade rescue hook, also in H1 steel, but it has a tendency to come loose from the very small sheath and I’m lucky to still have it. It has no utility other than cutting line which is hopefully all I’d need it for. It also has surface rust. From time to time I use a Spyderco Salt that I clip to the front part of the shoulder strap of my pfd. It is secure and easily accessed but in an emergency a folder is trickier to deploy than a fixed blade. That being said, I have yet to use any of them for anything seriously other than to add ballast to my kayak.

Jon

Mr. Beckwith and Mr. Carlson are right: a little care with grease/Vaseline/motorcycle chain lube (nice and sticky: stays right where you spray it) is all it takes to avoid the corrosion -- you just need to be as anal about it as anyone who cares about their equipment. I have a Bearclaw that is several years old and it still looks new.

I just picked up a knife that I love, and I figured I'd share. It's a "Wenoka Squeeze Titanium Knife." It can either come with a "stiletto" tip, or a "tanto" tip which isn't as pointy. The squeeze locking mechanism works great, but i've thrown a bit of velcro around the handle for good measure. I have it mounted on the front of my PFD, handle down. It definitely stays put through practice rescues, but i can have it out of it's sheath in a second flat.

I've only had it out on the water a few times, so time will tell how well it stands up.

just my .02

-jay