Who will I see out on the water at the Run of the Charles on April 27, 2024?

Ms. Dew

I've just signed up to volunteer on the water at the upcoming Run of the Charles paddling race. Was curious to see if any other NSPN paddlers would either be participating in the kayak race or volunteering with me. I'll be at the BU bridge on the Cambridge side to keep an eye out for the relay participants.

Curiosity piqued? Check out details here: https://www.crwa.org/events/runofthecharles

Slight hijack...I have always wanted to do one of the races but getting back to the car seems a hassle. I suppose Uber could work. Anyone have thoughts on logistics? 

7 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

Slight hijack...I have always wanted to do one of the races but getting back to the car seems a hassle. I suppose Uber could work. Anyone have thoughts on logistics? 

Bring your foam pads/straps, Uber (multiple?) call(s), and add a big tip at the end?

Hi Paul,

I used to race the six-mile event because the start and finish are in the same place.

Long time no see. I do most of my paddling in southeast FL now.

Leon

Edited by leong

8 hours ago, leong said:

Hi Paul,

I used to race the six-mile event because the start and finish are in the same place.

Long time no see. I do most of my paddling in southeast FL now.

Leon

Paul, a quick read of the race packet indicates the 3 and 6 mile races are loops. Parking info towards the back.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/62f29bd77847013a6cd07cce/t/65c3f3e021ba255eafe3cabc/1707340769911/2024+Race+Book+(3).pdf

On 2/21/2024 at 4:00 AM, Paul Sylvester said:

Paul,

The other reason I always entered the 6-mile race is there are no portages. The last thing I wanted to do was carry a $3 thousand kayak and run with it.

Uber would be just for me to get my car and then I would drive back to get my boat. Yes, the three- and six-mile races are loops. But that is just a sprint that would be over in no time. Too much driving for too much hassle right now. 

Leon, I did my first race training around Cape Ann with you back in 99 and it was a great day. Enjoy South FLA, the inlets, warmth and out running gators...

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Marshall said:

Hi Paul,

I'm doing the solo 9 mile race.  Setting up shuttle sounds better than calling a cab?  Give a call to coordinate.

Marshall

845-242-4731

Game on! I'll reach out soon.

I've volunteered to monitor relay racers from the BU bridge. I'm hoping to get some advice from a coordinator sometime before the event to figure out where I can park and/or drop off.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2024 at 4:20 AM, Paul Sylvester said:

Game on! I'll reach out soon.

Marshall,

Going to pass because the juice is not worth the squeeze. Too many questions about parking availability and the hassle factor. OTOH.. I'll see you at the Blackburn. I am entered in FSK. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2024 at 3:42 PM, Joe Guglielmetti said:

Snagged first for K2 and second overall in the 6 mile. Fun race, very quick paddlers!

Awesome! I was at the red buoy about a mile or so upstream of the finish. Took some video and will see if I caught you in action.